Charging Problem

Ed Pick

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I got a 2002 Protg 5 hatchback, It charges at around 14.3-14.5 volts. When it is wet out or a hot, humid day and when the RPM is pasted 2000 it jumps up to 18 volt and blows the headlights. The volts drop immediately when I push the clutch in. I have replaced the battery, took the alternator out and had it tested no problems with it. I have taken apart the grounding points under the hood and cleaned them up. The headlights connectors have some evidence of corrosion/burnt.
Any ideas???

The regulator is part of the alternator (I used to think it was an ECU function - but was corrected ;) )

So. Change it (or have the alternator bench tested).

sounds like a failing voltage regulator as stated by reply above replace the alternator, and have the battery checked as well while your at the store

The alternators on the p5 are actually controlled by the ECU,... I believe it's a grey wire. If that wire is broken or makes improper connection, then there's no output from the alternator.

So,... there is the possibility that the ECU is having trouble or there's some sort of bad connection

I managed to upload a picture from the service manual and that wire is a light green wire with a white stripe.

2014-06-27_18-47-36_zps590c9b8f.png

Last edited:
Any idea what should be the ampage at idle at the positive battery lead wire terminal? Something is wrong. I see only 1 to 1.5 amp. When I engage throttle I see 29 amp. Starting amp seems ok, I see a solid 65 amp peak measurement.

Any idea what should be the ampage at idle at the positive battery lead wire terminal? Something is wrong. I see only 1 to 1.5 amp. When I engage throttle I see 29 amp. Starting amp seems ok, I see a solid 65 amp peak measurement.

How are you measuring current? Make sure you are measuring current correctly, you can't just put the multimeter across the terminals. You can use a clamp multimeter, but I do not suggest hooking up a generic multimeter in series with the battery as you will fry your multimeter within seconds.

Multimeter ?? Hahaha I'm using a 500$ clamp amp meter. Do you have any info wrt charging specs? Is 1 amp enough at idle light off, no defrost, no radio ect...

Latest posts

Back