Steering wheel swap - airbag concerns

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
I've found a deal at a wrecking yard on a steering wheel from a Touring or Grand Touring 2012 Mazda5 and was thinking about swapping it over to my Sport to get the leather and extra buttons (I plan on getting a Pioneer AppRadio and programming the extra buttons with that; I know that they won't do anything with the current radio). My only concern is dealing with the airbag as I don't want to screw up a critical safety function. I am a fully trained automotive mechanic (but don't like getting dirty, so I never pursued it as a career), but my training was back in the '80s and never dealt with airbags. I figure that as long as I am careful, disconnect the battery, and don't force anything I should be able to make this swap myself. I am assuming that if something isn't quite right with the airbag, the diagnostic system for that system should give me an indication.

Does this seem like a task that an out-of-practice mechanic can handle, or would I be better off paying a dealer/current mechanic to do the swap for me?

Thanks,
Ryan

You shouldn't have any problem doing this swap. As you said disconnect battery first for at least a minute, I would wait ten. Two bolts at the back for the airbag. Two connectors for the inflators have a black retainer that need to be popped up with a small screwdriver to unlock the connectors. Once the inflator connectors are removed the other connectors are easy. The good thing is the steering wheel unbolts and comes off easily without a puller.

Everything loosenut said - super easy. Since you are trained, you are about 10 steps ahead of most folks! I hope you shopped eBay before committing to the junkyard.

Before you go to far ahead into DIY splicing into the steering column, did you look into Mazda's clock spring to make sure it meet your needs? I get the feeling you might be thinking one button = one switch = one wire. Unless the AppRadio has the learning ability, in which case proceed and let us know how it goes.

On another note, anyone have a spare steering wheel (bare bones is fine) lying around that they don't want anymore?? I just need to borrow it for a short while or can take it off your hands to save it from the scrap yard. :). Can trade an RX8 wheel in return (does not fit Mz5).

I'm glad to hear that this should be a relatively easy install. It'll be some time before I can get the AppRadio (a pesky tax issue has me reluctantly selling the DVD/GPS head unit I recently bought), but given my positive experience programming the buttons with that unit as well as reading the description on an interface box for SWC controls to aftermarket stereos, I don't think the programming will be an issue. I won't be splicing into any wires, but instead using an interface to communicate between the existing controls and the radio via the buss/network in the car.

Its easy. I've done it but kept the original controls from the Sport. You would have to reprogram the ECU to use the additional button.

What is necessary to reprogram the ECU? Is that a dealer-only function? If I don't reprogram, will the buttons that are the same on the Sport still work? Enquiring minds want to know...

Its a dealer function. Not sure what would happen otherwise but I assume it wouldn't work because each button sends a different response to the ecu on sport and touring _ grand touring. Its not worth the trouble for one additional button.

I can use a RX8 wheel as a garage wall decoration.... :)

Everything loosenut said - super easy. Since you are trained, you are about 10 steps ahead of most folks! I hope you shopped eBay before committing to the junkyard.

Before you go to far ahead into DIY splicing into the steering column, did you look into Mazda's clock spring to make sure it meet your needs? I get the feeling you might be thinking one button = one switch = one wire. Unless the AppRadio has the learning ability, in which case proceed and let us know how it goes.

On another note, anyone have a spare steering wheel (bare bones is fine) lying around that they don't want anymore?? I just need to borrow it for a short while or can take it off your hands to save it from the scrap yard. :). Can trade an RX8 wheel in return (does not fit Mz5).

Back