Amp Fuse/Inline Fuse keep blowing!

jerseymods

:
2003.5 Titanium Grey MSP
So I still have the stock kenwood sound system in my MSP except for the head unit which has been changed to the Kenwood DDX470.

More than usual my 15amp fuse on the amp and even the inline fuse continuously keep blowing out. My gain on amp is always really low. I could not find any shorts in the wiring and I am getting tired of switching out fuses every time i go for a drive! Any idea?

There has to be a short to ground somewhere, you can locate it or you can run new amp wiring.

Very doubtful.either poor connection.you have a short between wires or your amp is fried and it keeps going into protection mode to save itself.

Very doubtful.either poor connection.you have a short between wires or your amp is fried and it keeps going into protection mode to save itself.

I could not find the short I think It might be the amp...any suggestions on a replacement that fits into the sub enclosure?

I could not find the short I think It might be the amp...any suggestions on a replacement that fits into the sub enclosure?

Take a digital multimeter, and verify that the power wire doesn't have continuity with ground. Otherwise, I'd consider rerunning your power and ground wires for the amp.

Like he said use a meter.than id borrow a friends amp just to see if it is your amp thats the problem

A wiring kit is $20 at a store, an amp is considerably more. I would upgrade the wiring first.

Yes haha thats could also have been a problem poor power supply.seriously though go to harbor freight get a multimeter check connections if theres no continuity than its wire if not than its probably the amp and check it with another amp

Yes haha thats could also have been a problem poor power supply.seriously though go to harbor freight get a multimeter check connections if theres no continuity than its wire if not than its probably the amp and check it with another amp

Im definitely going to do this soon. It sucks to continuously replacing fuses every time I take the car out.

Alright so my multimeter does not have the continuity audio beep setting, but I do know how to check without (setting MM to lowest resistance/ohms setting being [200]. The continuity of the wiring seem to all be fine. The wiring is pretty thin, maybe 20 gauge. I did disconnect the amp just to perform a visual check and to re-seat all of the wiring. I also opened up the amp and took a pic of the internals to check if any parts looked worn, burnt, or blown.

They next step I will probably take is to upgrade the audio wiring in the car.

8F3pkHf.jpg

(Pic of the Kenwood Amp Internals)

If the wiring is fine than why change it if it wont knowingly solve the problem.seriously find anyone with a amp and check it.rule out the amp

Having same issue with the stock amp. None of the fuses are blown and there is power coming through. I have no clue when it comes to sound systems. What would be a decent amp to replace the stock one with? (Kenwood KAC-5001PS) and should I run new power and ground wiring? I thought the power wire was 10 gauge. Am I wrong?

Ps- sorry for thread jacking you but it is the same issue.

Last edited:
You won't need much but it's better to go too big than too small. I would say 4 or 6 gauge?

So I know it was suggested I chance the power and ground wiring for the stock amp..... well I went ahead and bought a new amp and sub to go along with the wiring and new ddx371. :) I'll give an update once everything is up and running.

Back