Knock Sensor Replacement

M2P503

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Has anyone ever replaced there Knock sensor before? How hard is it ? And please don"t just give a Lame answer like its easy just remove the wire and put the new one in because that"s not the answer! I need details this thing is tuff to get to and remove because of the wiring.

Has anyone ever replaced there Knock sensor before? How hard is it ? And please don"t just give a Lame answer like its easy just remove the wire and put the new one in because that"s not the answer! I need details this thing is tuff to get to and remove because of the wiring.

I have removed it. Try to see if you can get a 24mm (I believe is the size) crow's foot socket or wrench to reach it with the wire harness still intact. Lift the car up and take off the intake manifold support bracket that fastens that intake manifold to the block. That should give you a little bit more access.

I did not have access to either tools that I mentioned so I just cut the wire off at the old sensor's base so I could fit a 24mm socket on top of it. Screwed the new on and hand-tightened it. At that point, I obviously couldn't use the 24mm socket because of the new wire harness that was attached, so I just got some vice grips and awkwardly tightened it another 1/4 or so turn. Been on there ever since; no problems.

I should mention that I did this with the intake manifold off, which made access tons better (I have it set up to where I can remove the intake manifold within 30 minutes if nothing goes wrong). Perhaps you could snip the wire and get access to it from under the car with the intake manifold support bracket off? Hope this helped.

I have removed it. Try to see if you can get a 24mm (I believe is the size) crow's foot socket or wrench to reach it with the wire harness still intact. Lift the car up and take off the intake manifold support bracket that fastens that intake manifold to the block. That should give you a little bit more access.

I did not have access to either tools that I mentioned so I just cut the wire off at the old sensor's base so I could fit a 24mm socket on top of it. Screwed the new on and hand-tightened it. At that point, I obviously couldn't use the 24mm socket because of the new wire harness that was attached, so I just got some vice grips and awkwardly tightened it another 1/4 or so turn. Been on there ever since; no problems.

I should mention that I did this with the intake manifold off, which made access tons better (I have it set up to where I can remove the intake manifold within 30 minutes if nothing goes wrong). Perhaps you could snip the wire and get access to it from under the car with the intake manifold support bracket off? Hope this helped.
Hello Lost My Book,
Thanks for your feed back hey at least you were able to use a Vise grip to tighten it down. I have to say theres no reason for me to remove the intake manifold bracket off of my Engine block because the Knock sensor doesnt even touch the Intake Manifold or go near it at least on my Protege 5 my Knock Sensor is located in the back of the Engine Block. What kind of Car do you have? Is yours a Protege 5? Your profile says that"s what kind of car you have. My main question is this. Where does the Knock Sensor wire connect to and where is it visibly located? Im asking because when i was under the car with the car on a lift up in the air i cant see where that wire goes to its definitely not easy to see. Any pictures or description would help thanks

Here's a thread about knock sensors,... it's got some pictures and link or two.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123831376-Knock-Sensor

I'm agreeing with you and see no need to remove the intake manifold,... I would just unscrew the oil filter to give a bit more room.

I think you should just cut the wire on the old sensor as mentioned above to remove it then just screw in the new one with the help of a vice grip or crescent wrench.

Could be a good time to do the VICS screws and remove the VTCS in the manifold if you were interested in that.

Here's a thread about knock sensors,... it's got some pictures and link or two.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123831376-Knock-Sensor

I'm agreeing with you and see no need to remove the intake manifold,... I would just unscrew the oil filter to give a bit more room.

I think you should just cut the wire on the old sensor as mentioned above to remove it then just screw in the new one with the help of a vice grip or crescent wrench.

To PCB thank you so much because this Link thread post that you posted really helped me out to Pin point the Location of where the Knock sensor wire is located. No body on this Forum was able to answer it the closest answer i got was yeah its up by the driver side Lol! This picture shows it all and yes i did buy the Beck Arnley one. Yeah that guy telling me to remove the Intake Manifold doesn"t know what he"s talking about because he doesn"t have the same model car as ours his description was in the absolutely total wrong location

Could be a good time to do the VICS screws and remove the VTCS in the manifold if you were interested in that.

No thanks that has absolutely nothing to do with this i dont need any more complications

Hello Lost My Book,
Thanks for your feed back hey at least you were able to use a Vise grip to tighten it down. I have to say theres no reason for me to remove the intake manifold bracket off of my Engine block because the Knock sensor doesnt even touch the Intake Manifold or go near it at least on my Protege 5 my Knock Sensor is located in the back of the Engine Block. What kind of Car do you have? Is yours a Protege 5? Your profile says that"s what kind of car you have. My main question is this. Where does the Knock Sensor wire connect to and where is it visibly located? Im asking because when i was under the car with the car on a lift up in the air i cant see where that wire goes to its definitely not easy to see. Any pictures or description would help thanks

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I do have a P5. I'm glad that you were able to get the job done! I apologize, I had assumed that you already knew where the location of the knock sensor was. Now that you know where it is, I hope you can see why taking the intake manifold off (not just the bracket) could make things way more accessible. Granted that it is by no means necessary to take it off.

I've taken the intake manifold off, and put in on more times than I wanted to. So the trade off is now I can take it off pretty easily. But it definitely wouldn't be on those "lazy days." I had probably had the intake manifold off for another reason, but decided to do the knock sensor while it was out in the open. Anyways, I'm glad you took care of it with no complications!

Yeah that guy telling me to remove the Intake Manifold doesn"t know what he"s talking about because he doesn"t have the same model car as ours his description was in the absolutely total wrong location

That's a little presumptuous don't you think? To my knowledge, I did not specify any location of the knock sensor (which I assumed you already knew from your first post), other than implying that it was near the intake manifold bracket. I didn't mean to imply that, I'm sorry if you interpreted it as such. My mentioning the removal of said bracket was meant as a general way of increasing working room under the car (along with removal oil filter as already mentioned) because it is really tight under there. Since I replaced the sensor from up top the car, not under, my vantage point was a little different than yours.

Oh, and yes, when someone has "2003 Mazda Protege5" on their member profile it usually means that they own a 2003 Mazda Protege5. :)

Good luck.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I do have a P5. I'm glad that you were able to get the job done! I apologize, I had assumed that you already knew where the location of the knock sensor was. Now that you know where it is, I hope you can see why taking the intake manifold off (not just the bracket) could make things way more accessible. Granted that it is by no means necessary to take it off.

I've taken the intake manifold off, and put in on more times than I wanted to. So the trade off is now I can take it off pretty easily. But it definitely wouldn't be on those "lazy days." I had probably had the intake manifold off for another reason, but decided to do the knock sensor while it was out in the open. Anyways, I'm glad you took care of it with no complications!

Again there"s no reason to take any Intake manifold Bracket off because it doesn"t interfere but if you felt that that worked best for you then great i just didnt need the headache of taking extra stuff off! I still havnt taken care of it yet but thanks for letting me know. PCB actually listed a link of where the Knock sensor plug is located so that helped me out quite a bit

That's a little presumptuous don't you think? To my knowledge, I did not specify any location of the knock sensor (which I assumed you already knew from your first post), other than implying that it was near the intake manifold bracket. I didn't mean to imply that, I'm sorry if you interpreted it as such. My mentioning the removal of said bracket was meant as a general way of increasing working room under the car (along with removal oil filter as already mentioned) because it is really tight under there. Since I replaced the sensor from up top the car, not under, my vantage point was a little different than yours.

Oh, and yes, when someone has "2003 Mazda Protege5" on their member profile it usually means that they own a 2003 Mazda Protege5. :)

Good luck.

Yeah i found it saves time not removing the Intake Manifold or bracket when doing this job but thanks for letting me know

Back