Coolant

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I am adding some wetting agent to my coolant, does the reserve coolant tank fluid get circulated?

I doesn't circulate. If it did, it would be under pressure. However, when coolant gets hot and pressurizes, excessive coolant flows back into the reservoir, then flows back into the radiator when cooled. You should add the agent into the radiator itself, when cold, of course. Are you using Redline Water Wetter?

I've read some good things about it
super-coolant.jpg

I've used Water Wetter on my ol school 5.0 Mustang back in the days when I lived in Miami. It worked. I imagine you need some help in TX, too

Yea, my resivoir was under low when I checked it! Radiator was full so I just put it in the reserve. Turns out it was exactly 1liter below full so the bottle topped it perfectly lol. I would check it and maje sure you are good ( of course I'm at 48000mi from aug 2012) actually I could have used my hand pump to remove some coolant oh well it should make its way in there

Last edited:
The CX-5 has excellent cooling. Wetting agents offer no benefit unless you want to run on a track that prohibits the use of standard coolants. In that case you would need to do a complete drain and re-fill.

Don't waste your money adding wetting agents to the coolant..

MikeM, you are likely correct the CX-5 has excellent cooling and he may not see benefits. But a good wetting agent may help with lubricity and possible less wear on moving parts (water pump, thermostat, etc.), so I can't see how it could hurt. It's his money, do you think he's worried about that when he's rolling on $2k of wheels/tires/suspension?! (lol2)

Last edited:
MikeM, you are likely correct the CX-5 has excellent cooling and he may not see benefits. But a good wetting agent may help with lubricity and possible less wear on moving parts (water pump, thermostat, etc.), so I can't see how it could hurt. It's his money, do you think he's worried about that when he's rolling on $2k of wheels/tires/suspension?! (lol2)

The water pump is not lubricated by the coolant (it is a non-contact impeller) and additional lubrication will not extend the life of the thermostat.

My point was that it is pointless to add a wetting agent to appropriate coolant.

It goes without saying that an individual can spend his or her money as desired.

Back