Used oil analysis

:
2014 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
Figured some of you would be interested in the results of an oil analysis done on my most recent oil change. My car had a little over 20k miles. The first two oil changes at 5k and 10k were done with Castrol 0w20 but at 15k I switched to the Mazda 0w20 with moly.

l3kkmXW.jpg

Last edited:
What?

Also, your sig pic shows up funny on mobile for some reason. It's a gif of two girls with a taco instead of your car lol.

The magnet to catch metal shards. I see some people use a magnetic drain plug and it send up with shards on it. However I use a drain valve so that wont work. I suppose I could put a magnet next to the valve so it will wash out when drained.

You can put a magnet on the bottom of the pan (as long as our pans are steel and not aluminum), which "may" help keep metal at the bottom of the pan. Then, when you change your oil, remove the magnet before opening the valve allowing anything collected to flush out with the used oil. I tend to flush mine with whatever was left from the last oil change to get any residual junk out of the pan.

I am interested to see what your next change looks like. I am concerned about the high fuel content in the oil. That could be an indication of the engine running too rich, or an incomplete burn with fuel running down the walls of the cylinder, contaminating the oil.

I use two computer harddrive magnets on opposite sides of my oil filter. Those magnets are really powerful! I don't know how successfull a magnet on the bottom of the oil pan would work.

JM33 Do you think the magnet attraction passes through the metal oil filter cover?

My last UOA on my 2.5 liter SkyActiv also showed 2.3% fuel.
Changed the oil today, sent off a UOA. This time I ran the car down the interstate before the oil change. I'll see if that changes the fuel percentage and post back.

Steve

If some small amount of fuel (2.3%) in the oil doesn't effect the wear values, it is a non issue

I've done the magnetic drain plug trick on my last motorcycle, and it did have some very fine metal bits on it when I changed it's oil.

I use two computer harddrive magnets on opposite sides of my oil filter. Those magnets are really powerful! I don't know how successfull a magnet on the bottom of the oil pan would work.

In the old days sump plugs would have a magnet on the end, it was routine to remove very fine metal during a diy oil change.

In the old days sump plugs would have a magnet on the end, it was routine to remove very fine metal during a diy oil change.
Maybe on your side of the pond that's true, but in 50 years of oil changes I've never seen a magnetized oil pan plug. Transmission and differential plugs yes, but not sump.

Paris1, I doubt you ever had a 1976 280Z as mine had a magnetic plug in the engine oil pan...

Bump! Just did another analysis. I missed getting a sample form the oil change in between the first report and this one. However, it might be important to note the first report was the Mazda 0w-20 with moly oil but the 2 subsequent ones were using the Castrol 0w-20. I didn't have time to reorder the Mazda branded oil and just took it to the dealer for both oil changes. Not sure if that's the reason behind the improvement in the fuel levels or not...

T5XBGpb.jpg

It's nice that Blackstone doesn't give "copy cat cut and paste" answers on their reports. I like that they address YOUR car specifically in their narrative. I've been using their reports for years.

The UOA on my 2.5L SkyActiv engine (12000 mi), showed 0.5% fuel and about the same wear pattern as above. PP 0w20 oil & OEM oil filter.

Another bump for the recent analysis. Look like the engine is doing great. Aside from regular oil changes at 6k mile intervals or so I've done do additional maintenance to it. Gas mileage has been getting better too recently as I managed to get 32.6 mpg over a couple hundred mile road trip recently when I would previously get around 29 on that particular drive before. Very happy with the mechanicals of the CX-5.

gMQtYl8.jpg

Back