CX-5 Tire Fitments

Stock tire size is fine on 6.5" rim- the 3 225/65-17s I just compared on TR say rim width range 6-8" so that shouldn't be an issue at all- they do have a few 215/70s but don't think you need to go that route. I presume this is for winter season set up? If not I think its questionable to go w/narrower wheel. As for your 3s wheels fitting the CX-5 my guess would be yes but I'd double check- I'm sure its been mentioned here several times- or your dealer should be able to tell you too.

Actually this would be for summer/fall/spring tires. The snow tires I have currently are mounted to the stock rims. I don't think it would be worthwhile to unmount/remount the snowtires onto the mazda 3 rims. I called Discount Tires and they said a 225 width would work on a 6.5" rim. So I think I'm going to bite the bullet.

OK, planning on picking up the car this weekend.
I'll be replacing the stock tires with the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-Speed Rated) in 235/55R19.
Spoke to Tire Rack and they also concurred that going 1cm wider should be fine. They "won't guarantee anything except OEM size but in reality it should work fine."
Stock tires will be on General For Sale Forum later.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jedi54.
I find your avatar a bit confusing -- but once a Jedi always a Jedi I guess =)

UPDATE: 600 miles on the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02, 235/55R19W so far. Haven't pushed them much but they feel good. Not loud as I had feared and/or the CX5 cabin is quieting things nicely.

Last edited:
I am looking to replace the stock wheels of my 2017 CX-5with after market TSW Bathurst 19x8 http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_bathurst.php
Does anyone what is the width rim rage for the stock tire? Or where I could find that info?

I checked on tirerack.com but that info isn't there for Toyo A36's (I assume that's what you have). I did find the rim range spec. for the Toyo A23 (used previously) on tiresize.com and that is 6 -8". Also, Tirerack shows the rim range for other brands of 225/55R19 tires as 6-8" also. I think you'd be safe with an 8" rim width.

Hello guys. Could anyone here who changed their OE tyre setup to 235/55or60 R18 OR 235/55 R19 give some feedback on how it affects handling, grip and steering response?
Thank you guys

Hello guys. Could anyone here who changed their OE tyre setup to 235/55or60 R18 OR 235/55 R19 give some feedback on how it affects handling, grip and steering response?
Thank you guys

Hello,

I have recently changed my tyres from stock 225/55 R19 to 235/55 R19 (Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season).

The handling and grip did improve as well as the comfort making the car more stable and giving me more confidence.

I also found that the look of the car improved more as the tyres filled the wheel well more and gave it a slightly wider stance.

Only issues that you might find is the increased fuel consumption and the slightly slower acceleration if you drive hard.

For me the added cost is negligible (I live in Saudi Arabia) for the improved comfort, grip and ride.

Thank you guys

I have also recently changed my tires from stock 225/55 R19 to 235/55 R19 (Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 W-Speed Rated All Seasons).
When driving normally, I discern no noticeable differences in handling, noise, fuel economy, acceleration, and ride comfort compared to the stock Toyos. When driving more aggressively, the Sumitomos feel more confident (better grip and slightly more responsive).
I do like that they look slightly wider on the car, and the tread design seems more aggressive.
Rain traction is good. No snow here yet but I'm guessing you don't care.

Thx Valli666 and dc16. im going to try 235/55R18, lets hope i get lightweight rims with suitable offset.

ps: you're right dc16, there is no snow here in my country :p

Currently running a 275/40-19 on a 19x9.5
.. Lowered on Megan racing coil-overs .. 3" ..😃

Although considering taking off the coil-overs.. Doing just a h&r spring.. & maybe a 275/55 tire...
a7a740e386eba96488f1345ae733274c.jpg
8a606a38ab2443a87a2e8451325d9201.jpg

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Quick question regarding the OP's tyre size recommendations. I see that this post was written in 2014. Has anything changed for 2017? I have a 2017 GT w/Tech. I'm thinking of the following set up and I'm not sure if the inner part of the tire would rub against any of the components inside the wheel well or the well itself. I want to go with the widest possible tire without compromising factory specs too much or risking any other issues. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Considered setup:

Wheels: 20x8.5 ET:42mm (Original 19x7 ET:45mm)
Tyre: 255/45/20 (Original 225x55x19)

Would I risk any fitment issues on the inside of the wheel well? Has anything changed between the 2014 and the 2017 models?

Thank you for any answers!

Quick question regarding the OP's tyre size recommendations. I see that this post was written in 2014. Has anything changed for 2017? I have a 2017 GT w/Tech. I'm thinking of the following set up and I'm not sure if the inner part of the tire would rub against any of the components inside the wheel well or the well itself. I want to go with the widest possible tire without compromising factory specs too much or risking any other issues. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Considered setup:

Wheels: 20x8.5 ET:42mm (Original 19x7 ET:45mm)
Tyre: 255/45/20 (Original 225x55x19)

Would I risk any fitment issues on the inside of the wheel well? Has anything changed between the 2014 and the 2017 models?

Thank you for any answers!

I'd consider 245/35 20 20/8.5 but my concern is if they do fit or not, if they do.. I'll get them. All advices would be much appreciated.

So, idiot question here... per the OP's chart, am I correct in understanding that I would be OK to run Toyo Celsiuses in 245/50R19 105V on my OEM 19" wheels ('15 GT)?

It would fit perfectly, if it existed.

If you can get one, let me know.

--- edit ---

Well I'll be... apparently Michelin has actually started making a 245/60R17. Granted, it's only got a T speed rating, so a lot of shops wouldn't mount it on the CX-5, and it's pretty expensive, to boot... and it's probably somebody's OE tire. But it's out there.
hi, just want to confirm if anybody had tried using 245/55/r17. Not sure if its compatible. Nokian tyres has this size.

Back