CX-5 Tire Fitments

yba -

Check the manufacturer's specifications for any tire in question. Rim fit width is a function of both total section width and sidewall height - the taller a tire's sidewall, the narrower its mounting rim width will be for a given section width.

And don't ever blindly trust an online tire calculator.

Thanks...
Also one more question. In my country its very difficult to find high quality and original rims. So best think is buying directly from Mazda.
I want to use 17'' at winter, 18'' at summer.. Becouse our roads are bad.. I find 18'' Mazda 3 rim at good price.
Part Number: 9965-22-7080CN 7J x 18", Offset 50 mm,

But my Mazda service didnt want to sell Mazda 3 rims for my Mazda CX-5
Using Mazda 3 rims at CX-5 will be a problem? I would use 235 60R18 tires with them.
Sory about my bad english

yba -

Check the manufacturer's specifications for any tire in question. Rim fit width is a function of both total section width and sidewall height - the taller a tire's sidewall, the narrower its mounting rim width will be for a given section width.

And don't ever blindly trust an online tire calculator.

Your English is better than that of a lot of native speakers.

The 3 wheel with a 235/60R18 would be a fine package to run on a CX-5. Just don't tell the dealer what vehicle you're putting them on.

Your English is better than that of a lot of native speakers.

The 3 wheel with a 235/60R18 would be a fine package to run on a CX-5. Just don't tell the dealer what vehicle you're putting them on.

Again thank you very much, you've been very helpful.

Hello All... first post here! We've been looking to buy a CX-5 for a while now and plan to get the 2017 when it comes out.

Based on just the 2016 model, I've been looking over the tire choices for the Touring (17" wheels) and Grand Touring (19"). It appears there are better tires for the 17" tire size, on Tire Rack at least? "Better" as in higher performance category that is.

In other words, there are 2 options for High Performance All Seasons for the 225/65R17, but the 225/55R19 size has only Grand Touring All Seasons or Standard Touring All Seasons available.

I'd like to get the best performing all seasons available, so it seems like I'll either get the Touring, or the GT, but change out the wheels.

What do you guys think?

Hello All... first post here! We've been looking to buy a CX-5 for a while now and plan to get the 2017 when it comes out.

Based on just the 2016 model, I've been looking over the tire choices for the Touring (17" wheels) and Grand Touring (19"). It appears there are better tires for the 17" tire size, on Tire Rack at least? "Better" as in higher performance category that is.

In other words, there are 2 options for High Performance All Seasons for the 225/65R17, but the 225/55R19 size has only Grand Touring All Seasons or Standard Touring All Seasons available.

I'd like to get the best performing all seasons available, so it seems like I'll either get the Touring, or the GT, but change out the wheels.

What do you guys think?

19s look better, have a stiffer ride and are more expensive in the long run. 17s are opposite - also note touring and GT have some other significant differences as well. Leather? etc. - I would say if money is not an issue you can go for best trim you like and then swap out the tires. My stock 17s have had decent traction for TX. You can also try to sell your tires on this site - there is a section at the bottom. gl.

What do you guys think?

I almost didn't get the GT because of expensive and limiting 19s but in the end I'm glad I did for other features. Got a 17" wheel/winter tire package from TR..actually went 235/65-17 due to the Dunlop wintersport tire I wanted- and works great btw- in all but the worst conditions which I knew going in. For the stock 19s I tried replacing OE Toyos (when they wore out) with Pirelli Scorpion Verde 235/55-19. Fine tire but NOT for the CX-5. I did go slightly larger diameter but to me the main issue was the added weight- I was able to swap for stock size Pirelli P7- its better fit for the car but still wouldn't recommend it and they're not currently adorning my 19s. You can go with 235/55 or 245/50-19 that will still fit the stock wheels fine and open up more options for the 19s, but be mindful of hanging extra weight as it killed my acceleration and fuel economy! If you don't find anything in those sizes you can go with 18s which was my original plan but ended up just keeping the 19s which are back on OE Toyos that I purchased nearly new from someone that swapped them out for 245/50 Conti dws06..didn't ride in his CX5 but said he was happy with them.

Thanks for your reply.
So I guess for 19s there just aren't really any higher performance tires -- not that I'm expecting a crossover to be a tire shredding monster.
Regardless of trim level, I'm leaning towards having 17s on the car then, given our pot holed commute and winter weather.
We have Conti DWS06 on the old Subaru right now. They are great tires.
I agree the 19s would look better.. the final decision may be in the showroom =)

Last edited:
If you're open to 235/55 or more so with the 245/50-19s- there are many higher performance options, conti included vs the stock grand touring set up.

That's good to know... it was mentioned just a little earlier in the thread but skimmed too quickly (hand)

So the wider tires will fit on the 19 wheel. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around how an extra 1-2cm still works on the wheel... it'll be heavier of course but would it look right and be safe?

The dws06 in 245/50-19 weighs 27lbs and rim width range is 7-8.5 so yes it will fit, should be 100% safe and you'll actually lose a bit of weight in the trade. Looks are subjective so won't go there but this tire is an option, overall diameter also very close- 1/10th or 2 short but this is also true of certain OE sized 19s also so its fine. Your mileage may suffer as you are going nearly 10% wider though..

Last edited:
Hello,

I've been going through the threads and everyone seems to have different opinions about tyre sizes.

I'm a British expat living in Saudi Arabia and it's very difficult to find the same tyre size as a replacement and even more difficult to good advice about a suitable tyre size as a replacement.

I don't drive my 2016 CX5 GT off road and sometimes have to take gravel/dirt roads as the roads. The car is mostly driven on highways around Riyadh.

The temperature in the summertime hits 120 degrees plus, in the winter it drops to 50 degrees, and it hardly rains here.

I like the idea of having 255/50r19 but I've not seen anybody with this setup on standard rims.

Can anyone advise on a good tyre size and brand to match these conditions?

Hello.

I doubt many people are going to be familiar with what models and brands are available in Saudi Arabia. If you have any specific tire in mind, it would be helpful in evaluating them.

The 255/50R19 size is really no concern - I've never seen a tire manufacturer that didn't include 7.0" in the acceptable mounting width range for that size, so if they're available, go for it.

Any all season or summer tire would work for you, with the same performance tradeoffs that would apply anywhere. The only thing I'd say is special about your locale is the extreme high temperatures you see - and the best remedy for that is to watch your inflation pressures, the same as everywhere else. When you mention gravel or dirt roads, are you talking about the same type of road conditions you might see on an unpaved country lane in the UK (minus the mud and puddles) or something more severe? Coarse gravel would probably chew up a summer compound pretty quickly, so I might shy away from a soft compound, there.

Hello.

I doubt many people are going to be familiar with what models and brands are available in Saudi Arabia. If you have any specific tire in mind, it would be helpful in evaluating them.

The 255/50R19 size is really no concern - I've never seen a tire manufacturer that didn't include 7.0" in the acceptable mounting width range for that size, so if they're available, go for it.

Any all season or summer tire would work for you, with the same performance tradeoffs that would apply anywhere. The only thing I'd say is special about your locale is the extreme high temperatures you see - and the best remedy for that is to watch your inflation pressures, the same as everywhere else. When you mention gravel or dirt roads, are you talking about the same type of road conditions you might see on an unpaved country lane in the UK (minus the mud and puddles) or something more severe? Coarse gravel would probably chew up a summer compound pretty quickly, so I might shy away from a soft compound, there.

Thanks for the advice.

The gravel and dirt roads are like you mentioned, only more sand and dirt, with very little moisture.

As far as the tyre brands are concerned, I can get Michelin, Continental ans Pirelli tyres here, but they are not the top end all season ones that I would like for example the Michelin Premier LTX.

With regards to tyre inflation, how much should they be inflated to?

The car is hardly ever fully loaded and it's mostly my wife and daughter that travel with me.

Yeah, a cursory review of what's available in the US, and a cross reference with the tyrereviews site, tells me that us Yanks aren't going to be much help. One promising prospect that I saw was the Continental CrossContact UHP, but judging by the tread pattern in the picture on tyrereviews, the UK (and presumably the Continent) gets a different model than what goes by that same name, here. Considering that you're not going to be driving on very coarse gravel, though, I wouldn't worry too much about using a summer compound.

As for the inflation pressure question - when I say watch your pressure, I generally mean that it shouldn't ever be below Mazda's recommendation, even for a larger tire with a higher load rating. Heat is the enemy of tires, and an analysis of heat buildup and temperature rise goes into formulating their pressure recommendation. High ambient temperature exacerbate the problem, but they don't really change the rules of the game.

Yeah, a cursory review of what's available in the US, and a cross reference with the tyrereviews site, tells me that us Yanks aren't going to be much help. One promising prospect that I saw was the Continental CrossContact UHP, but judging by the tread pattern in the picture on tyrereviews, the UK (and presumably the Continent) gets a different model than what goes by that same name, here. Considering that you're not going to be driving on very coarse gravel, though, I wouldn't worry too much about using a summer compound.

As for the inflation pressure question - when I say watch your pressure, I generally mean that it shouldn't ever be below Mazda's recommendation, even for a larger tire with a higher load rating. Heat is the enemy of tires, and an analysis of heat buildup and temperature rise goes into formulating their pressure recommendation. High ambient temperature exacerbate the problem, but they don't really change the rules of the game.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. [emoji1303]

6.5" Mazda 3 rims and 225/70 17's

Anyone have advice on using 2009 Mazda 3 17"x6.5" rims on my CX5? Will the stock 225/65R17 wheels fit on a 6.5" rim? A couple websites out there state the max width for a 6.5 is a 215. I can't find any tires an 215/70R 17 tires at any tire shops so far.

Last edited:
Anyone have advice on using 2009 Mazda 3 17"x6.5" rims on my CX5? Will the stock 225/65R17 wheels fit on a 6.5" rim? A couple websites out there state the max width for a 6.5 is a 215. I can't find any tires an 215/70R 17 tires at any tire shops so far.

Stock tire size is fine on 6.5" rim- the 3 225/65-17s I just compared on TR say rim width range 6-8" so that shouldn't be an issue at all- they do have a few 215/70s but don't think you need to go that route. I presume this is for winter season set up? If not I think its questionable to go w/narrower wheel. As for your 3s wheels fitting the CX-5 my guess would be yes but I'd double check- I'm sure its been mentioned here several times- or your dealer should be able to tell you too.

Back