CX-5 Tire Fitments

Hi guys. Just a quick questions to those who knows. Does the OEM CX9 rims 20x8.5 with 255/50 tires fit on the CX-5? If so, any issues? I have the 2016 CX9 and got 22s on it and looking into buying the CX-5 for day to day city driving.
Unless the oem CX-9 rims are lighter than the CX-5 wheels, I wouldn't do it as it will slow down its acceleration and probably lower MPGs. If the CX-5 you have is a diesel though, then it probably won't affect it as much since it has good amounts of torque. But on a NA CX-5, this will be noticeable I would think. Better to get lightweight 20 inch wheels instead.

275/55/19 on Mazda 19" rims?

Hi

Im new the this forum. Great info. Ive done some reading for the past few days to see if my questions was already addressed. If it is, I missed it.

I just bought a new 2016.5 CX5 AWD. Love it. It comes with 17" rims. I didnt like that, but figured I could change that easily enough.

FastFwd the story a bit, and here's where I'm at:

I just bought a set of mazda 6 GT 19 inch rims (19"x7.5" width x45mm offset).

Mazda6_19x7rim5x114x7.5x45offset.jpgMazda6_19x7rim5x114x7b.jpg
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ive seen a forum member with a CX5 with the same rims ( http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-your-wheels&p=6447265&viewfull=1#post6447265 ), and I love it...but the tire size pictured by the other forum member is "stock" which I interpret as : 225/45/19

IMG_1894.jpg

I want larger (taller) tires (ride handling and fill in wheel gap) and wider tires for a more aggressive look. I am not interested in lowering (spring swap) the vehicle. I realize larger tires will throw off he spedo, but im ok with that. I also not going to run any races or slalom courses...but dont want a sloppy boat of a ride. Im your average middle aged guy that just wants the car to look like i didnt totally give up on life and wear black dress socks with open toe sandals...

Having said that, I came across this:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...per-Discoverer-H-T-Plus&p=6293853#post6293853

Lorenzo_02_zps43a31e25.jpg

This member has 20" x 8.5 with a 35mm offset, with 275/45/20 tires.

My rims are 7.5 wide and I have seen on Tirerack that lists 275/55 for 7.5 rims

This tire size is NOT listed in the chart above, but note the list was created in 2014. Im not sure if its been updated to be current with todays selections and popularity of SUV sized tires.

SO....MY QUESTION!!! (finally)

*1 - Can i run 275/55/19 on Mazda OEM 19"x7.5" rims??
*2 - What are the concerns? (spedo accuracy excluded)
*3 - What do you know that I dont know that I need to know? (General comments, suggestions, and wisecracks welcomed.)
*4 - If Im wrong, why? What do you suggest?

Ive included a tire size calculator i found on www.tiresize.com to show some of where I got my ideas, and what dimensions they are based on. Im comparing the stock tire in the car now, with the proposed tire i "think" i want.

275.55.jpg

attachment.php

thanks for your replies and suggestions in advance.

Are you looking at a specific tire? A 275/55R19 will be way taller than you really want on the CX-5. There's also not a lot of great selection in that size on Tire Rack.

There are a bunch of really good options in either 245- or 255/50R19 that would be a much better fit.

...A 275/55R19 will be way taller than you really want ...really good options in either 245- or 255/50R19 that would be a much better fit.

hi... thanks of the reply...

according to the dimensions on the tire-calc... ive added 2.4 inches in height, which will be split in half to the wheel well, so Im adding 1 1/4 inch to the wheel well, and raising the ride height 1 1/4 inch...I "think" that isnt unreasonable...but as mentioned, i dont know exactly how to ge to what i want.

255.50.jpg
attachment.php

according to your suggested size on the tire calc, I'll be adding 1/2 inch over all in height...which will be 1/4 inch into wheel well, and 1/4 inch in ride height. This seems modest and negligible at best. The width is an increase of 1 inch... that might be ok...i wouldn't know till i see it in person on the car.

all the "offset" and "rim width" vs "tire width" & "tire diameter" is like herding cats: move one thing, and all the other change to confuse it.

herding-cats-o_zpscc075bfc.gif

Again, I have to ask if there's a specific tire that you want. I don't see any great options in a 275/55R19 that aren't available in a size that actually fits.

A 275/55R19 might 'fit' while the vehicle is sitting still with the front wheels pointed straight ahead, but you really need to worry about what happens when you hit a bump with the steering wheel near full lock. Also, I'd bet good money that you'd risk the tire not even fitting under the spring seat of the strut...

If you had a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel and the wherewithal to play with your suspension geometry, I'd say sure - go nuts with a 275/45R19 and tell us how it turns out. Things being what they are, though, I'd advise sticking with something that's known to work.

Again, I have to ask if there's a specific tire that you want.

my hope was to fit a tire that made a reasonable visual size increase...

...but you really need to worry about what happens when you hit a bump with the steering wheel near full lock.

This is why Im here to make sure I dont screw the pooch...

If you had a 9.5 or 10" wide wheel ...

So i think you've hit what Ive missed. I dont know how the OEM 19 x 7.5 wheel, with 45mm offset changes or dosent change things. Thats whats throwing me off.

I see in the chart at the top of the thread, that a 265/50/19 is there. However, as I stated in my original post, I see that a member has a 275/45/20, which is NOT listed, but is obviously in use, and presumably, without issue. The difference, is he has it on a 20, and has a wider rim, with an offset.

so my thought was: If there's room for a 275/45/20, maybe there's room for a 275/55/19. According to the tire calc, the 19 is 1 inch taller than the 20, which translates to 1/2 inch taller into the wheel well than the 20, with the same width

275.19.jpg
attachment.php

conversely, I can see that the difference between my proposed 275/55/19 and the listed +2 approved from the chart of 265/50/19, is 1 3/4inch in height and half inch narrower.

265Comp.jpg
attachment.php

and I still dont know if the offset will make the tires stick out too much, or not enough...

I have just enough knowledge to be a danger to myself and others...

now i have a headache...

Last edited:
You will be giving up a considerably amount of vehicle performance by picking a larger tire diameter. Mazda has done a great engineering to select a system which includes tires, to give the customer a great overall vehicle. I wouldn't want to screw that up. Ed

my hope was to fit a tire that made a reasonable visual size increase...

And a 245- or 255/50R19 would do that, without requiring major surgery to your vehicle. Yeah, some people have gone up to a 29.5" diameter tire, but they're accepting the performance compromises that go along with the change.

So i think you've hit what Ive missed. I dont know how the OEM 19 x 7.5 wheel, with 45mm offset changes or dosent change things. Thats whats throwing me off.

It doesn't really change much, and that's a good thing. Like Ed said - the wheels and tires are an integral part of the suspension, and changing them too much without knowing what you're doing is a recipe for disaster.

I see in the chart at the top of the thread, that a 265/50/19 is there.

You should also note that I flagged it as questionable.

However, as I stated in my original post, I see that a member has a 275/45/20, which is NOT listed, but is obviously in use, and presumably, without issue.

Don't presume anything.

I've seen the pictures of the CX-5 with those tires, and I have quietly shaken my head and moved on. I believe the guy's in Hawaii - There's this little thing called frost heave that happens in Massachusetts, but doesn't generally happen at low elevation in the middle of the Pacific. I don't know what he did or didn't do to his suspension, but I wouldn't want to go throwing those wheels and tires on a CX-5 without being absolutely sure that I wasn't going to jam the tire into the wheel well the first time I hit a pothole.

The difference, is he has it on a 20, and has a wider rim, with an offset.

No. That's only scratching the surface of the difference.

so my thought was: If there's room for a 275/45/20, maybe there's room for a 275/55/19. According to the tire calc, the 19 is 1 inch taller than the 20, which translates to 1/2 inch taller into the wheel well than the 20, with the same width

That 275/45R20 is already more than an inch taller than the stock tires on a CX-5. As a general rule of thumb for unibody vehicles, you can go about half an inch bigger in diameter without any problems. Go an inch bigger, and you have to keep an eye out for clearances and rubbing, and be prepared to fiddle with springs, dampers, and adjustable suspension links to get things to fit. Going two plus inches bigger generally requires things like relocating suspension joints and fabricating custom components - it's definitely not for beginners.

conversely, I can see that the difference between my proposed 275/55/19 and the listed +2 approved from the chart of 265/50/19, is 1 3/4inch in height and half inch narrower.

As you should be catching on, that half inch in width and inch and three quarters in diameter might seem small, but it's actually huge.

and I still dont know if the offset will make the tires stick out too much, or not enough...

If you want to play with offsets, you might want to introduce yourself to the wonderful world of spacers.

I have just enough knowledge to be a danger to myself and others...

Nah... you know enough to ask before charging headlong into a bad idea.

now i have a headache...

That's why I drink.

Thank you for the fitment advice. Everything worked out FANTASTIC!

265/50/19
Nankang SP9

initial impressions is this is a great economy tire. Quiet on the highway. I'll wait for winter to finalize my opinion, but suspect, considering the small tread detail, this will perform well in snow/slush and rain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Thank you for the fitment advice. Everything worked out FANTASTIC!

265/50/19
Nankang SP9

initial impressions is this is a great economy tire. Quiet on the highway. I'll wait for winter to finalize my opinion, but suspect, considering the small tread detail, this will perform well in snow/slush and rain.

attachment.php
Nankang is a well known local tire brand in Taiwan.

i know it's been awhile since anything has been posted, but i have a question. i don't see 275/45R19 on the list for the cx-5 grand touring, and was wondering if they would fit fine on the stock rims without having to do anything with the car, or should i go with 245/50R19 or 255/50R19? thank you, for the help

Last edited:
Minimum wheel width for a 275/45R19 is 8-1/2". I doubt you'd even get the beads to come close to seating on a 7" wide wheel. You could probably get them to fit on the CX-5 if you went with a wider wheel option, but you're not going to see any huge performance gains from them. Not to mention the fact that you'd be gaining a lot of tire weight at each corner...

Greetings all. New guy here, and a bit clueless regarding wheel size and fitment. My wife's 2015 CX5 Grand Touring is in need of new tires. Currently the OEM Toyo 225/55R/19's are on it. I am running across a mountain of confusing information regarding what to replace with. Apparently, the 225/19's are an "odd" size tire?? Everywhere
I call they..."ohhh...yeah..we'd have to order that tire. Maybe considering buying new wheels to fit 225/65/17's."

Help!!! The wife commutes 100 miles round trip daily. The Toyos have held up nicely. Do I switch to a different wheel? Tire?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I switched to 18" wheels from the stock 17" size(16.5 touring model). Had 19" on my previous 14 Mazda 6 and didn't like the price and ride of the stock tires. The 18's are a good compromise of ride and price. Just my opinion.

Apparently, the 225/19's are an "odd" size tire?? Everywhere
I call they..."ohhh...yeah..we'd have to order that tire. Maybe considering buying new wheels to fit 225/65/17's.

Before you go to the extreme of replacing wheels just to make replacement tires a little easier to get, ask your tire store of choice about the possibility of getting a 235/55R19, 245/50R19, or 255/50R19. Those might be a little more common, and they'll mount on your stock wheels.

Forgive me if its already been asked but I didn't see it when reading through.

What do the +1, 2, 3, and -1, 2, 3 numbers mean? Also what are the numbers in the parentheses after the tire sizes?

Thanks

Edit: It looks like the first numbers I asked about are the wheel diameter...? But then still what are the numbers in parentheses?

Last edited:
Forgive me if its already been asked but I didn't see it when reading through.

What do the +1, 2, 3, and -1, 2, 3 numbers mean? Also what are the numbers in the parentheses after the tire sizes?

Thanks

Edit: It looks like the first numbers I asked about are the wheel diameter...? But then still what are the numbers in parentheses?

Yes, the + and - #'s are in relation to your OE tires. If you have a Sport or Touring model with 17" wheels standard, +1 will be 18" and -1 would be 16", etc. If you have a Grand Touring with 19" wheels, +1 will be 20" wheels and -1 will be 18". This is standard nomenclature for the tire industry.

The numbers in parenthesis (in Lee's original post) just refer to the notes at the bottom of that post. If you see a (1) beside a size look at note #1, etc.

A lot of people seem to gravitate to the MICHELIN PREMIER LTX.
Does anyone have any read on the PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS for the CX5 Grand Touring?

Good tire for commuting? Mileage? Safety?

Thanks!

Looking at the Michelin - Defender LTX M/S 235/55R19s. An All Season 70,000 mile tire at $199.00 each from Costco.
Any good?

Back