CX-5 Tire Fitments

On Tirerack - Continental DWS says 255/50ZR19 will fit on 7 to 9in rims. Think that's the largest I've seen where the factory says it'll fit a 7in rim. It's only a 1% difference in mph

Hello, I need some advice. I will be lowering my CX-5 about 1.5 inches using H&R springs. I am think of buying the BBS SR 19"x8.5" wheels with 45 offset, and I want to fit them with 235 x55 x 19 tires. Anyone think or know if there might be any rubbing or fitment issues with this setup, or does this setup seem pretty workable? Do I have to worry about the size of the CX-5 hub 67.1mm size when buying a wheel?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I never strayed from the manufacturing recommendations with my past vehicles. However my CX-5 2015 Grand Touring is begging for a wider tire. I am saving for nicer rims, but need new tires now.

My experience (driving my AWD CX-5 in all weather conditions over three years), leads me to the observation that the OEM tire width is specified on the wider side for vehicle weight and I recommend not going any wider for safety reasons.

I would love any advice on what size tire, brand, tread or style is good. I work for a utility company as a outside facilities technician, ( means I can't use weather as an excuse for missing work ) and have a cumulative 83mls travel.

I see you live in New Jersey. I know New Jersey is subject to deluges. I returned from Sea-Tac Airport a couple nights ago in an epic deluge. I hadn't put my winter tires on yet (did that yesterday) and was hydroplaning at any speed over 45 mph in the standing water in the pavement ruts. Granted, I was on the OEM Geolanders which are not great for water evacuation when new (and mine are a bit past half-tread). Fortunately, traffic was light but there were three cars that had crashed, emergency vehicles everywhere. These were all one-vehicle accidents miles apart. Two of them roll-over accidents (due to spinning off the highway, no doubt). I couldn't see the tire width on the upright vehicle but it was immediately apparent to me that the two roll-overs had wider than OEM tires.

More surface area = slower speed at which you lose control. Unless you want to be commuting 83 miles in the slow lane getting deluged by faster vehicles, I recommend NOT upsizing on the tire width. And buy tires with good water evacuation. You don't want to be T-boning those Jersey barriers at 60 mph. It's not conducive to a long and healthy life.

Hi. Would a 245/60/17 not fit?

It would fit perfectly, if it existed.

If you can get one, let me know.

--- edit ---

Well I'll be... apparently Michelin has actually started making a 245/60R17. Granted, it's only got a T speed rating, so a lot of shops wouldn't mount it on the CX-5, and it's pretty expensive, to boot... and it's probably somebody's OE tire. But it's out there.

Last edited:
Is the offset of the 19" CX-5 wheel 50mm? If it is, 17" 6 wheels should fit and give a wider selection of cheaper tires.

*Mazda 6* wheels.

Last edited:
Is the offset of the 19" CX-5 wheel 50mm? If it is, 17" 6 wheels should fit and give a wider selection of cheaper tires.

The offset isn't really an issue in this case, and there isn't a 17" tire option listed that will go on a 6" wide wheel but not a 7" wide wheel.

Six inch wide wheels will severely limit your options if you ever want to re-purpose them for another vehicle. I'd avoid them like the plague.

I do a fair amount of off road driving with my CX-5 while hunting several times a year and could use a more capable tire. I'm thinking about putting on Michelin premier LTX in either 235/55-20 or 245/50-20 on enkei onx wheels. The wheel wells on the CX-5 seem plenty big to me to be able to fit the extra diameter. I could care less about the speedometer. Thoughts on fitment?

I liked the LTX of old. With them I drove my Explorer like a Mustang. I can't imaging pissing away $1000 on wheels when Michelin sells a 235/55-19 tire.

I do a fair amount of off road driving with my CX-5 while hunting several times a year and could use a more capable tire...

If you're going off-road, you want all the sidewall you can get. There are a bunch of good options in a 235- or 245/65R17 that would do well for you.

A couple of quick questions....
I am looking at the Michelin "Premier LTX for my 2013 CX-5, does anyone have these and can you give me some feedback on them?
What are the side effects of the higher sidewall size?
I have a 2013 CX-5 Grand Touring w/ 19" wheels.

And yes I am a complete noob when it comes to tires.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am looking at the Michelin Premier LTX for my 2013 CX-5, does anyone have these and can you give me some feedback on them? What are the side effects of the higher sidewall size?

I assume you're looking at the 235/55R19 101V? I can't give you any feedback on the tire, but I can help with the second question.

The Michelins weigh one pound more each than the OE Toyos - not really enough to worry about. They're also rated at 714 revs per mile versus 720 for the Toyos - again, pretty negligible.

TSW has started making the Nurburgring and the Monaco in 21 x 9" with the 5 x 114.3 mm bolt pattern. I've added two 21" options to the OP.

Hi guys. Just a quick questions to those who knows. Does the OEM CX9 rims 20x8.5 with 255/50 tires fit on the CX-5? If so, any issues? I have the 2016 CX9 and got 22s on it and looking into buying the CX-5 for day to day city driving.

Hi guys. Just a quick questions to those who knows. Does the OEM CX9 rims 20x8.5 with 255/50 tires fit on the CX-5? If so, any issues? I have the 2016 CX9 and got 22s on it and looking into buying the CX-5 for day to day city driving.

Yes. Bigger setups have been run. At one time I had 255/55/20 with a 20x8.5 et 40 wheel

Back