Help my P5 has an CEL Codes that says Thermostat

Where did you buy the parts?
If you bought the parts from an auto part odds are one of the two part you replaced is defective.

its not uncommon for low quality thermostats not to open fully, and for coolant temperature sensor resistance to be off and cause incorrect readings

Last edited:
Try to bleed any air out of the cooling system.

Point the car uphill. When cool - remove the radiator cap. Run the engine to operating temp with the heater on full.

You should see bubbles/gulps of air. Refill to full and replace the radiator cap.

Drive. Watch the level in the overflow bucket and keep full.

Great guys will do. While I am at it someone told me to turn on the heater inside the car when adding coolant is this true?

It seems like the problem is fixed, not comes the good part. I am driving it for 50 miles in order to make sure the CEL does not come back on and I can get the car inspected. I am very pleased with the help I received from everyone. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear it's fixed. Burping the air out of the system is critical with these newer engines and can take a little time. Just an FYI for next time, if you squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses before you turn the car on until you feel a good amount of pressure in them it'll make the process go faster.

Car is fixed and it passed inspection, finally legal to be driven on the PA roads. Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back