Transmission or Clutch?

Levis95

:
1992 Mazda RX7 FD3S RHD Touring, 2003 Mazda Protege5
So I have a 2003 Prrotege5 with a 5 speed manual. Had the thing for 3 monthes, it has just over 101,000 KMs and yesterday when I was driving it normally I went to shift to third it grinded (3rd has grinded since i got the car, only doesn't if you wait in neutral between gears or if the car is cold) but when I let off the clutch it was in neutral so the shifter was in gear but the transmission wasn't. Then I pulled the shifter to neutral and it was in 4th and it wouldn't go into any other gear. Got it home and now it will go into 1st like normal and half into 4th which makes neutral 4th gear but nothing else... im guessing a full transmission replacement?

Anybody? the shifter linkage bar doesn't move at the transmission end, but cant figure out anything else

Without looking at it or seeing it first hand, it sounds internal to the transmission. Possibly a broken shifter fork or gear that's wedged.

Can you verify clutch operation? There's a rubber boot that goes over the clutch fork on the top of the transmission. Connected to that is the slave cylinder. You might have someone push on the clutch pedal and watch the operation of that fork/slave cylinder and see if it is moving just to rule out the clutch.

Back