P5 is making an odd sound with AC on at stop...

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So it's been happening for months but I just can't seem to ignore it anymore. Whenever my AC is on and I'm at a stop whether it's at a light, drive thru,etc. My car makes a sound similar to taser/static around the passenger side/under the car area and it's not that horrid belt sound most cars have when they first start. I have zero clue as to what it it and cant find anything about it. Any clues?

is it making noise while the a/c is on or just when the blower is on no matter the temp? check this with and without a/c on and at all temps as well as recirculated air on and off and let us know what it is doing on all those settings, this will help in diagnosis.

if the latter is true then i would say either you have something in your blower motor wheel or the blower motor itself is failing. the blower motor sits under the glove box.

mine makes noise and has for years we have taken it out greased it all up and looked for debris in wheel but nothing, it just makes a weird clicking that i cannot explain.

Last edited:
So it's been happening for months but I just can't seem to ignore it anymore. Whenever my AC is on and I'm at a stop whether it's at a light, drive thru,etc. My car makes a sound similar to taser/static around the passenger side/under the car area and it's not that horrid belt sound most cars have when they first start. I have zero clue as to what it it and cant find anything about it. Any clues?

I think I have an idea of what you might be talking about. I too have experienced a similar sound at times. I can only describe it as the sound of "electrical current". It is also on the passenger side of the car coming from the hood area.

I have a scangauge and have Voltage as on of my parameters. I have noticed that at stops or sometimes even when driving, the voltage will go from 13.8-14.1 down into the 12's. This will happen for a few seconds, then go back to normal. If I'm stopped it may go into the 12's longer, but it always bumps back up to appropriate levels. If the AC is not running, there are no physical symptoms from the car. However, if the AC is running and the voltage drops, I get the weird sound you are talking about. As soon as the Voltage goes back up, the noise is gone again.

I have an Underdrive Pulley installed and was attributing the lack of Voltage to that until now. Are you stock??

I think I have an idea of what you might be talking about. I too have experienced a similar sound at times. I can only describe it as the sound of "electrical current". It is also on the passenger side of the car coming from the hood area.

I have a scangauge and have Voltage as on of my parameters. I have noticed that at stops or sometimes even when driving, the voltage will go from 13.8-14.1 down into the 12's. This will happen for a few seconds, then go back to normal. If I'm stopped it may go into the 12's longer, but it always bumps back up to appropriate levels. If the AC is not running, there are no physical symptoms from the car. However, if the AC is running and the voltage drops, I get the weird sound you are talking about. As soon as the Voltage goes back up, the noise is gone again.

I have an Underdrive Pulley installed and was attributing the lack of Voltage to that until now. Are you stock??

Yes I'm bone stock. Indeed the sound is similar to an electric current of sorts. I hear it occasionally especially if I'm at work all day and start the car or if its storming outside.

Do you also notice that when you hear the sound, the AC and or other accessories slow down? I notice that the amount of air blown lowers a bit and is less cold until the voltage kicks back up. No other accessories however, are noticeably affected as far as I can tell.

I am planning to go back to my stock pulley in another week. I'm hoping this will help with the issue but it sounds like it may not completely resolve it.

From what I've read, these cars have pretty weak electrical systems so we may just have to live with it.

My original a/c compressor made that noise only with a/c on and compressing, my newer one does it also, but nowhere near as badly.

Latest posts

Back