Questions about Protege5 + AutoX?

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So as many of you members on the forum have done, I am thinking of getting my P5 into some AutoX this summer possibly! It will be my first season and i will try and list info about my P5 to help others with questions I have regarding AutoX.

(And before someone asks, yes I have read up on SCCA about classes and such, and yes I have searched the forum and found a few topics but mainly on out-of-my-region stuff and or with different Mazdas)

First thing is how good would a P5 running on the stock suspension setup be in AutoX? (But could have my Eibach Pro-Kit on by then)
Second is, running high performance street tires okay for a first time AutoX?
and Third is, any tips for a beginner? (haha)!

Info on P5 here if it helps: (All OEM unless listed)

Magnaflow CBE
K&N CAI
16" Sport Edition Rims (Unknown style) on stock tire size General Tire G-MAX AS-03
(Possibly a Pro-Kit lowering set if installed in time)

Do you want to be competitive or just have fun? I ran my P5 in SMF with speed3's and such, because that is the class most of my meeps are in. I was at the bottom in times and could care less about it. I ran on Yokohama paradas on the front and kuhmo ecsta asx on the back. Stock suspension, CAI, header, stock exhaust.

Those things being said, HP summer tires are a good idea. Stock suspension is fine. Have fun! Go to the first person you see with a Miata, chances are they are veterans and will show you the ropes.

I had planned on just going for the thrill/fun aspect of it as it will be my first time. Unless of course I find a friend of mine there as well, then its game on haha!

And alright sweet! Wasn't too sure about the suspension as to me it feels fine stock, and I think I would only consider getting sway bars and such if i planned on being more competitive! So thank you! :)

Also, so that Miata stigma thing is true then seemingly? haha

For a first time thing though, would it be okay to just run my normal summer tires?

Also by better, im assuming you dont mean the like actual race compound ones?

Just decent summer tires. I have generals on my daily and they aren't worth a s*** for handling. Dunlop dizerra did decent on my 323 and nitto Neo gens did amazing on my protege mp3. Even with the better. suspension I only had it get a little loose once and that was pushing it very hard. They don't last very long though. 12k-20k miles depending how you drive with them. Kumho ecsta ast weren't that great most people swear by them but I think it's only because they're cheap. I'm runing Bridgestone potenzas on my celica and they're ok but I don't think they're the better model of them but I hear a lot of good things about them from auto x'rs

Make sure your local rules will allow the tires you buy. Like with my local rules tread wear rating has to be above 200

Hmm okay. I read a bit about the General's on mine on Tirerack.com and they compared them against a Firestone, Goodyear, and Hankook, and put the General right below the Hankook's, but then again this test was not on a protege so your info is more helpful.

And so if i wanted to up the experience without going to full on compound's, you recommend Direzza's, Potenza's, or Neo Gen's?

Those Advan's look nice, however their sizing chart shows they dont sell 195's only 205's and up, so would running 205's or even 215's on 16"s be okay or no?

I started out with the P5 but now I own 3 Miatas....
The P5 definitely has some body roll so stiffer suspension is nice. Assuming you are looking at SCCA classing, you would be in STC with your mod list. I would say give it a try with the way the car is now, learn how to autox well, then start tweaking in ways that make the car more competitive or that you enjoy. Definitely see if your local group has a novice program or someone who could ride with you and offer advice as this is far more valuable than any modification you could do right now. Autox is fun. :)

I started out with the P5 but now I own 3 Miatas....
The P5 definitely has some body roll so stiffer suspension is nice. Assuming you are looking at SCCA classing, you would be in STC with your mod list. I would say give it a try with the way the car is now, learn how to autox well, then start tweaking in ways that make the car more competitive or that you enjoy. Definitely see if your local group has a novice program or someone who could ride with you and offer advice as this is far more valuable than any modification you could do right now. Autox is fun. :)
+1 Just use what you have now, have fun and then make changes from there.

and get a helmet.

Alright haha that was my plan, glad to see I had the right idea before hand haha!

As far as helmets, just a normal auto racing helmet should do right?

Back