Camping with Mazda5?

fanbanlo

:
Mazda 5
Any experience with camping / road trip with Mazda5? What did you bring and how well did it work out?

Anyone brought a fridge using the power outlet at the trunk? Wouldn't it kill the battery very soon?

I know Mazda5 is not a RV, but anyone slept in the Mazda 5 with a mattress?

Any other tip and tricks have you learned about going camping with Mazda 5?

Nice base for a mattress.

1/2" thick cardboard from shipping containers here at work:

3701654222_a7cb1510f2_o.jpg

Interesting, one for CX5 but fits 5 and I can find on google for just Mazda 5, but says not available after you click on link
Picture from Cx, should fit 5.

T2DjK8XitXXXXXXXXX_!!435580024.jpg

I'd rather sleep on a regular mattress if it fits... those air mattress sucks. Anyway, would u pls post the link? :)

Interesting, one for CX5 but fits 5 and I can find on google for just Mazda 5, but says not available after you click on link
Picture from Cx, should fit 5.

T2DjK8XitXXXXXXXXX_!!435580024.jpg
That's awesome! More info!? So that's why the Mz5 comes with a 12v socket in the rear :p

Last edited:
Last July, waiting in the ferry lineup pulling a rented '82 Bonair Tent trailer for 10 days of camping on Vancouver Island last year. Doing it again this July!
a>

I took some measurements last night for kicks

Van Dimensions
Max length with unlocked middle seat(leaves a gap between second and third seats): 75"
Max length with locked middle seat (leaves a gap between second and third seats): 72"
Length with middle seat all the way back and locked (no gap): 66"
Width between sliding doors: 58"
Wheelwell width: 40"
Rear height: 34"

Mattress Sizes
Twin: 75x39
Full: 75x54
Queen: 80x60
Coleman SUV Quickbed: 63-70x41 (newer model might be 73x40?)
Sportz Air Mattress: 75x47

Explorer 2 SUV/minivan tent by DAC

FedEx just dropped off my new SUV/minivan "tent" - supposed to fit the M5 but it's also universal so it's not gonna fit nice without some modifications - I've shortened the bungee cords considerably for starters, and strong magnets should help seal it a bit better. I'm not sure this'll be useful in the rain, but at least on nice nights it'll help with ventilation. I'd like to find the "hatch open" switch so the dash light doesn't stay on all night, but maybe one night won't make much difference (one door or another has been left open overnight before - (thumb) thanks kids lol!)

Cold front came through today so no test of it for a while other than in the garage, but I'm looking forward to warmer weather and a chance to give it a try!

Attachments

• IMG_20181117_165431.jpg
    IMG_20181117_165431.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 476
  • IMG_20181117_165331.jpg
    IMG_20181117_165331.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 497
  • IMG_20181117_165858.jpg
    IMG_20181117_165858.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 622
Update re: the "door open" light when the hatch is open for tent use - found advice to push a carabiner into the latch on the door and the light will turn off - and it works! You do have to use the door handle to remove the carabiner or the door won't close, and I suppose if safety or need for a quick door-shut is an issue, this might not be the thing to do. Would really like to have a way to open the hatch from the inside, but I'm not finding information on that anywhere. Ah well. :}

Cool. We have a Mazda and I wanna go camping this summer with my husband. We have already chosen the campsite. We have also bought the equipment, like tents, sleeping bags, dishes, stove and little fridge. The last things that I recently bought was camping lanterns. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) I didn't recommend to take candles or small flashlights, more useful would be to buy long lasting lanterns. I bought the outdoor portable lanterns that works from 3 AA batteries that are included in the package. So, we are totally ready for our first camping.

Last edited:
Update re: the "door open" light when the hatch is open for tent use - found advice to push a carabiner into the latch on the door and the light will turn off - and it works! You do have to use the door handle to remove the carabiner or the door won't close, and I suppose if safety or need for a quick door-shut is an issue, this might not be the thing to do. Would really like to have a way to open the hatch from the inside, but I'm not finding information on that anywhere. Ah well. :}

Well if the position of the mechanical switch is sending a signal to the dash to say the door is open you could theoretically put a manual switch on the inside of the door panel to give you a cutoff for that signal to be sent. Would need to make sure you had access to that switch from the inside just in case you left it off..... though you have a 1st gen, so it should have a manual door release vs. the electronic release in the 2nd gen.

Back