Idling issue after fill up, looking for some help?

Okay so after I fill the tank in my protege 5, and I first start my car to drive away from the pump, my tach, starts bouncing up and down like my car is about to stall and jumps back to a normal idel and back down like it's going to stall again.. It does this back and fourth until I start driving it and then it smooths out and the problem goes away.. Has anyone else ever had this issue? And any recommendations on what I can do to fix this? I was thinking it might be a fuel filter issue. How hard is it to replace the fuel filter since it is part of the fuel pump? Thanks for everyone's help. Chris.

honestly that sounds like an ignition coil or something wrong in the evap or vacuum system in the car. does it happen at every fill up?is there a check engine light before, during or after it happens? that does not sound like a pump related issue to me

Last edited:
honestly that sounds like an ignition coil or something wrong in the evap or vacuum system in the car. does it happen at every fill up?

In other words, not enough information in the original post for the reader to figure out when the symptoms occur.

There are all sorts of things that can go wrong under the hood (this probably has nothing to do with the fuel filter or pump) that will produce these sorts of symptoms. Among the most likely culprits: torn intake hose (the "bellows" section splits easily), failing coil pack, bad plug wire, dirty or failing injector.

It could even be bad gas. There is a gas station in my hometown that is known for bad gas. In fact, a friend of mine used to fill up there until his car kept stalling. He was consistently getting worse mileage from there too, like 5 mpg less. But you may just need a tune up as well. New plugs, etc.

Yes this only happens after I fill the tank. There isn't any check engine light on, or that stays on when the car is running. It sounds to me like I'm gonna have to trouble shoot this and eliminate some of the issues that it could be until I can figure this out. I do not believe it is the gas, I am running an MP3 ECU, and I run 93 octane in my car. I get gas from a couple different stations, and it happens when I fill up from anywhere..

Yes this only happens after I fill the tank. There isn't any check engine light on, or that stays on when the car is running. It sounds to me like I'm gonna have to trouble shoot this and eliminate some of the issues that it could be until I can figure this out. I do not believe it is the gas, I am running an MP3 ECU, and I run 93 octane in my car. I get gas from a couple different stations, and it happens when I fill up from anywhere..

Alright, yeah it probably isn't the gas then. Some shops will look at your car for free and tell you what's wrong with it...or at least in my area with towns around 11,000 people lol

If youre completely filling the tank it could be overflowing the evap system and making the car run rich. Don't fill it anymore once the pump stops or stop a little before 13 gals

If youre completely filling the tank it could be overflowing the evap system and making the car run rich. Don't fill it anymore once the pump stops or stop a little before 13 gals

Well I do fill the tank, then when it stops I shake the car wait a couple seconds squeeze some more gas in, and then do that one more time.. But I've always done this and now all of a suppen it's giving me a hard time.

So today, I just filled my tank half way and the samething happened. Sputtering idel dropping about to stall. Started driving for a little and it was better.

Definitely sounds like an evaporative emission system problem, most other things i can think of wouldnt cause a rough idle only after filling up. I'd say you most likely have a soaked charcoal canister if you always put more gas in the tank after the pump stops. The charcoal canister is connected to the tank to absorb the vapors from the gas when it evaporates. If you overfill the tank, liquid gas can get into the canister and soak it which usually causes problems starting or rough idle. You can replace these pretty easily, its right under the rear in a black box on the spare tire well if im not mistaken. But if it idles rough every time you fill up regardless of how much it could be a stuck open purge valve. usually the vapors from the canister are purged during hwy driving, but if the valve is stuck open when you put gas in the tank the expanding vapors from filling up can push the liquid fuel in the canister into the intake causing it to idle rough for a bit. once you start driving the o2 sensors and fuel trims account for the rich condition and it will go away

Definitely sounds like an evaporative emission system problem, most other things i can think of wouldnt cause a rough idle only after filling up. I'd say you most likely have a soaked charcoal canister if you always put more gas in the tank after the pump stops. The charcoal canister is connected to the tank to absorb the vapors from the gas when it evaporates. If you overfill the tank, liquid gas can get into the canister and soak it which usually causes problems starting or rough idle. You can replace these pretty easily, its right under the rear in a black box on the spare tire well if im not mistaken. But if it idles rough every time you fill up regardless of how much it could be a stuck open purge valve. usually the vapors from the canister are purged during hwy driving, but if the valve is stuck open when you put gas in the tank the expanding vapors from filling up can push the liquid fuel in the canister into the intake causing it to idle rough for a bit. once you start driving the o2 sensors and fuel trims account for the rich condition and it will go away

Thank you for that information, I am going to look in to this to see if it will correct the issue I am having.

Back