CX5 aftermarket radio/stereo install advice

Aldo

:
Mazda CX5
Thanks for some great reading in other threads

My question is a bit different - I hope someone can advise

I have just imported duty free from Japan (to Thailand) a 2014 CX5 without any radio (a hole in the dash at present, but with the plastic bezel that normally surrounds the radio). I had to order it that way because the Japanese cars are made exclusively with Japanese language built in to the receiver (no other language option).

I have a couple of options like importing the Malaysian manufactured radio - very expensive (total is around 3,000 - 4,500 USD) and need all the various parts like the Bose amp, etc. Or I get an aftermarket stereo for a fraction of the price as another excellent thread detailed (1,000 USD).

I want to make sure an aftermarket stereo (doubledin) will be capable of running those other features like doorlock control, lighting control, wipers adjustments etc. Does anyone have any experience in installing aftermarket and still being able to retain those extra features?

Thanks in advance

I have just imported duty free from Japan (to Thailand) a 2014 CX5 without any radio (a hole in the dash at present, but with the plastic bezel that normally surrounds the radio). I had to order it that way because the Japanese cars are made exclusively with Japanese language built in to the receiver (no other language option).

I have a couple of options like importing the Malaysian manufactured radio - very expensive (total is around 3,000 - 4,500 USD) and need all the various parts like the Bose amp, etc. Or I get an aftermarket stereo for a fraction of the price as another excellent thread detailed (1,000 USD).

I want to make sure an aftermarket stereo (doubledin) will be capable of running those other features like doorlock control, lighting control, wipers adjustments etc. Does anyone have any experience in installing aftermarket and still being able to retain those extra features?

Thanks in advance

If you are starting off with a blank canvas (no audio system), I would go aftermarket and customize it to you. You will get better, more modern, high tech features. Sounds like it will cheaper too. As far as the factory features and settings- if you don't have a radio/head unit (HU) to controls those features now, what will change when using an aftermarket HU?
Btw, my mother is Thai, from near Bangkok (love that name(evil).

Most likely, the dealer could do those settings for you, after you install an aftermarket radio.

Thanks to all above for your thoughts (Skorpio - my car is exactly the same - color and all..). It's a real roll of the dice.. Can I ask how much any of you use the on-screen functions for lighting/wipers/door locks? It seems these might be unnecessary if the factory settigns are okay as is. Do you use them much? Thanks for your continued ideas - and all welcomed by me.
Aldo in BKK (dodging the coup)

Thanks to all above for your thoughts (Skorpio - my car is exactly the same - color and all..). It's a real roll of the dice.. Can I ask how much any of you use the on-screen functions for lighting/wipers/door locks? It seems these might be unnecessary if the factory settigns are okay as is. Do you use them much? Thanks for your continued ideas - and all welcomed by me.
Aldo in BKK (dodging the coup)

Well, I wouldn't say exactly the same. Among mods, I have a factory Bose HU (cryhard). Great looking car! Any photos? I haven't seen ONE deep crystal blue besides mine anywhere in my area (south USA). I have only used my settings maybe three times to get it where I liked, then haven't used it since. When you get the settings to your liking you probably won't need to use it again. But if you lose battery power, you may need access to it again.

Last edited:
Thanks Skorpio - I'd say it's not worth the extra cash then. I'll send a photo soon. Kob khun ma na krup.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to sell you the OEM head unit I just pulled out of my 2015 (Deep Crystal Blue) Mazda6. ;-) But honestly, I wouldn't bother. My car remembers the settings formerly controlled by the head unit if the battery is disconnected. Otherwise, they would have reset during the install of my Pioneer.

Mazda CX5 2014 Dark Blue.jpg

2014 Mazda CX5 imported from JPN to Thailand - 'Dark Blue'. I think in the US it's called Stormy Blue Mica.

That's a nice color, wonder how different it is to 2015 deep crystal blue mica? It has black seats but "sand" color for the A-pillar and headliner?

Mine has Sand colored seats, arm rest, door trim, A-pillar, and headliner
4unuheva.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I see. I assumed it was all black. I got into a blue reflex and soul red and realized the black interior wasn't for me, but never paid attention above my sight line. Learn something new every day! (cool)

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm a newbee here. I also have a CX-5 GT with Bose system, and I am not happy at all with the head unit. It is ugly, does not play DVD for safety reason, no GPS, and connection to iPod is slow and cannot remember my last track played. Discussing with my installer regarding replacing the HU with aftrmarket, they said sound quality would be so bad because aftrmarket HU does not have all connections requied to th Bose system.
So if you want to replace your HU, be sure to check with Crutchfield for any required kits. I am planning to purchase those, but I welcome if you guys have experienced on it.
Also, has anyone checked out radio-replacement.com? They seem to have a plug-and-play HU replacement, not sure about the brand though.

Hi guys, I'm a newbee here. I also have a CX-5 GT with Bose system, and I am not happy at all with the head unit. It is ugly, does not play DVD for safety reason, no GPS, and connection to iPod is slow and cannot remember my last track played. Discussing with my installer regarding replacing the HU with aftrmarket, they said sound quality would be so bad because aftrmarket HU does not have all connections requied to th Bose system.
So if you want to replace your HU, be sure to check with Crutchfield for any required kits. I am planning to purchase those, but I welcome if you guys have experienced on it.
Also, has anyone checked out radio-replacement.com? They seem to have a plug-and-play HU replacement, not sure about the brand though.

I am curious how these work.

http://www.happyshoppinglife.com/an...etooth-touch-screen-for-mazda-cx5-p-1671.html

Thanks in advance

Aldo, didn't you say that you ordered your car WITHOUT the head unit? Then you wouldn't miss the car settings that the factory head unit has. If you have the factory head unit installed, then yes, you will lose those car settings. But the important thing is, make sure you are already satisfied with all the lighting, doorlock, and wiper settings before replacing the head unit.
Do not worry, your authorized dealer will be able to change those settings for you using their equipments. Anyway, how often do you think you'd want to change your settings anyway? Most likely never.
So what I am saying is, just go ahead with aftermarket head unit. The factory one is just a dissappointment.

I personally, I would stick to big brand stereos.
The rest looks good on paper, but most likely nothing will work as advertised.
I will install a Kenwood nav unit, when the heat will let me.

Back