How to Replace Spark Plugs (for Dummies)

zoom-zoom 2

:
2011 Mazda2 Touring
I'm at 78K on my 2011 Mazda 2 Touring (5-speed manual) and I was looking to replace my spark plugs. Had it priced out at Mazda, just in case it was reasonable enough of a price, and they're quoting $350+. (wtf) This seems absurd to me as I'm thinking it shouldn't cost me more than $60 max for plugs and some elbow grease.

I'm not super savvy when it comes to DIY car stuff, so I'm hoping someone could explain to me, like I'm 5, how to swap out the plugs. Also, how to determine if the coil packs need replacing too. Any recommendations on parts would be a huge help. Seems NGKs are pretty popular.

Thank you!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

$4 ratchet. $2 6" 3/8 drive extension. $2 spark plug socket. $12 for 4 NGK Platinum plugs. $10 6 pack of good beer. 20 minutes of time.

Problem is that mazda put that nice stupid piece of plastic on top of the motor which can easily turn a 10 minute job into an hour or more depending on your mechanical inclination

To get the plastic off the top of the engine isn't as hard as it seams. You can take the top of the filter box off and kinda put it off to the side above the transmission. Then there are 3 10mm headed bolts which hold the lower filter box in place. One in the front and the other two are near the back. Once you take that off the top of the engine is right there. You just have to unplug the coil packs and undo the bolt that holds each one in place. Then you can pull the oil packs out and get to the spark plugs. I haven't actually taken the coil packs off which is why I don't know the size of the nut/bolt holding those in place.

Just drink the beer youll figure it out though you may have to replace some stuff haha

A torque wrench is a good idea as over or under torqueing the plugs can change their heat range.

A little Anti-Seize on the spark plug threads is a good idea. Plugs go so long between changes now, you can get corrosion in the threads.

Back