Manual transmission clutch noise

JMJinNC

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6-speed
Background: 2012 Mazda5 Sport with 6-speed manual, dealer serviced only, currently about 26k miles on the odometer.

Issue: when the clutch is depressed and released during a normal shift, there is a brief low noise as the clutch is released. It's almost like a "honk" or groan. Primarily in the 1/2/3 gears, but it might be in higher gears too and masked by road noise. Also more evident in first 5-10 miles of driving.

Anyone else have this issue? Functionality of the clutch/transmission is not affected, but I'd like to catch problems before it gets worse or induces a failure.

Thanks in advance - JMJ

I probably have that same noise - release clutch in low gear and then engine brake would produce the noise more clearly. I think it's the transmission mount, aka No. 4 engine mount. The rubber is probably broken, and the metal parts are banging together under load.

Brake fluid level is fine. 2/3 between min & max.

I'll look at the motor mount next.

JMJ

Just realized that I probably have the same noise. Only when lifting off in 1st from a dead start- but its very consistent, esp w/ the AC running. I may have heard it releasing into 2nd sometimes, but I don't specifically recall. Been this way for over 30,000 miles, with no real transmission/clutch issues, so I have no feedback. I have also NOT swapped out gear oil yet, as I only have 70K on the car. If I end up changing oils, and find a difference in behavior, will definitely report it, however long it takes.

I'm bringing the 5 in to the dealership on Monday to look at it. If they find the problem, I'll post it. JMJ

Background: 2012 Mazda5 Sport with 6-speed manual, dealer serviced only, currently about 26k miles on the odometer.

Issue: when the clutch is depressed and released during a normal shift, there is a brief low noise as the clutch is released. It's almost like a "honk" or groan. Primarily in the 1/2/3 gears, but it might be in higher gears too and masked by road noise. Also more evident in first 5-10 miles of driving.

Anyone else have this issue? Functionality of the clutch/transmission is not affected, but I'd like to catch problems before it gets worse or induces a failure.

Thanks in advance - JMJ

The more I have driven my 5MT and paid attention, I think this is related to the clutch plate stickiness. It seems that when there is more load on my car, from AC load or more weight in the car, the engine bogs down when releasing the clutch, forcing me to hold the pedal longer. It is when that happens that I feel the groan, and it feels like the clutch is holding. I guess it could also be the throwout bearing. IDK. But its been 70K miles on a car that since 29K has had nearly exclusively all city stoplight-to-stoplight miles, so the clutch is going in hundreds of times each day, and no failure yet.

Back