Pioneer AVH-4000 NEX Install

This thead is a great how-to for installing the AVH-4000NEX. I was able to get it done this past weekend and got a lot done. Backup cam works with no problems and the Bose speakers sound so much better now that I can customize the EQ fully. I'm still waiting on a few parts; the 40-HD10 antenna adapter I ordered on eBay was the wrong type, as it has a circular connection inside the adapter instead of a rectangular one, so I should be getting the correct one from Amazon tomorrow. Also, bought cables for both my Samsung Galaxy S4 and my iPod touch that I also still need to run from the center console to the unit. I'll take care of all that once I have all the parts I need to completely finish the job.

However, I am running into a problem. I soldered the wires of the PAC RP4-MZ11 according to jlcpremier's instructions and RedBaron's spreadsheet. I tested the SWC and they worked as they should, minus the voice command and phone answer/hang-up buttons. I went ahead and programmed them according to the PAC instruction sheets included with the harness. Turned off the car and messed with the backup cam connections as they were giving me problems. Turned the car back on to test the backup cam, found that none of the SWC didn't work and didn't respond. Pressed buttons and the LED on the SWC module would not flicker, which means no signal was being received from the SWC? Pressing the programming button didn't help that either. So I turned off the car, unplugged the SWC from the harness to reset it, plugged it in and turned on the car. Buttons seemed to work again, and programmed the buttons once again. All seemed to be good, so went ahead and installed the unit into the dashboard thinking that's the end of it until I get the antenna and android/iPod cables. But later when turning on the car, the SWC controls do nothing except for the voice command button. None of the other buttons work again. Has anyone run into this kind of SWC problem? It seems the SWC module gets no or partial signals from the steering wheel after I turn the car off and back on. No clue why. Buttons were obviously working a-ok with old head unit.

Much quicker question regarding the antenna adapter: what wire should I connect the blue power wire to? The blue wire coming out of the SWC module or the ACC (ignition) wire where everything else is spliced in (12V/6V step down power and brake bypass)?

Thanks in advance!
First, for the blue antenna wire, I connected mine to the antenna control wire that was supplied from my Kenwood deck. There should be a similar wire from your Pioneer, if so, use that. If not, use the ACC lead (DON'T use the Blue wire from the SWC, that won't work).

As for the other steering wheel issues, I had some too, see my post here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...arket-Stereo&p=6332834&viewfull=1#post6332834 . BUT, your issues seem weirder than mine, it MAY be your module is bad (it's been known :)). I would contact PAC support directly.

First, for the blue antenna wire, I connected mine to the antenna control wire that was supplied from my Kenwood deck. There should be a similar wire from your Pioneer, if so, use that. If not, use the ACC lead (DON'T use the Blue wire from the SWC, that won't work).

As for the other steering wheel issues, I had some too, see my post here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...arket-Stereo&p=6332834&viewfull=1#post6332834 . BUT, your issues seem weirder than mine, it MAY be your module is bad (it's been known :)). I would contact PAC support directly.

RedBaron, thanks a TON for your quick reply! I just realized I programmed my SWC incorrectly after looking at your spreadsheet regarding programming buttons. Even after reading the instructions thoroughly the other day, I had thought that the programming button must be pressed after each SWC button press to confirm it and move on to the next. As a result, I basically skipped (and essentially removed) ALL functions other than the voice recognition button, which I did program and therefore is the only one that works. I guess after programming it I also didn't bother to check the volume/track skip buttons, though I thought I did. I'll re-calibrate the SWC module and start from scratch. I feel good about getting it to work now, and about connecting the antenna power too. Thanks once again, couldn't have done it without this thread and your help!!

(I do have one quick question regarding the illumination wire now that you mention it on the other thread though, which I'll ask there :D )

I'm facing similar issues with my Kenwood. Volume and top left right buttons work only. Nothing on the Voice or phone buttons. Camera works intermittently, but not in reverse. Just if I push the SCR button for 2 sec.
Initially, I have plugged in only the SWC, without the Kenwood and I'm thinking, maybe that could have caused some wrong programming?

RedBaron, thanks a TON for your quick reply! I just realized I programmed my SWC incorrectly after looking at your spreadsheet regarding programming buttons. Even after reading the instructions thoroughly the other day, I had thought that the programming button must be pressed after each SWC button press to confirm it and move on to the next. As a result, I basically skipped (and essentially removed) ALL functions other than the voice recognition button, which I did program and therefore is the only one that works. I guess after programming it I also didn't bother to check the volume/track skip buttons, though I thought I did. I'll re-calibrate the SWC module and start from scratch. I feel good about getting it to work now, and about connecting the antenna power too. Thanks once again, couldn't have done it without this thread and your help!!
Heh - your'e welcome! Yes I did the exact same thing when I first re-programmed mine. The instructions are NOT clear :-/

Once I realised things weren't working after, I redid it until I got it working. That's why I wrote the exact steps down for future reference :)

Pioneer has released its CarPlay-supporting new firmware version for the NEX series. Have you guys installed it? I read elsewhere that the interface is rather slow at the moment. Any experiences in a CX-5?

Yeah, I did it...
First impression?
Mmmm... not so awesome... Full of bugs and really limited...

Hi guys,
I have problems in resuming playback instantly from my SSD or my HD... It takes everytime too much time and it doesn't resume!!! Could anyone give me any suggestions on how to solve?

Hi great write up and thanks for the tips that helped my installer installed the appradio3 neatly for me. I hv a question on Bose system, does your center dash speaker work? the stock HU has the CenterPilot feature to turn on when playing CD. i am wondering if i can get it turned on whenever i m on radio/bluetooth/appradio mode?

thanks for your help in advance.

Hi great write up and thanks for the tips that helped my installer installed the appradio3 neatly for me. I hv a question on Bose system, does your center dash speaker work? the stock HU has the CenterPilot feature to turn on when playing CD. i am wondering if i can get it turned on whenever i m on radio/bluetooth/appradio mode?

Can you use the track+/track- Buttons or which buttons are usable on appmode/no appmode on appradio3 with PAC rp4-mz11?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

I left the Centerpoint and Audiopilot on when I removed my OEM radio, when I replaced it with my Pioneer the Centerpoint and Audiopilot were both gone. That leads me to believe the processing for that must have been done in the head unit itself and not at the Bose amp.

Pioneer has released its CarPlay-supporting new firmware version for the NEX series. Have you guys installed it? I read elsewhere that the interface is rather slow at the moment. Any experiences in a CX-5?

It's buggy as hell right now. I primarily use Spotify, and it's a real pain with CarPlay. If I have Spotify on a specific playlist most times it will reset and randomly play something from the entire Your Music playlist. Sometimes it won't play at all and I have to close and re-open the app. However, I still prefer using CarPlay over Pioneer's interface. Maps works pretty well, and Siri works a lot better on CarPlay then with Pioneer's Siri Eyes Free. I can see why it took us so long to get it, cause it has a long way to go before it's polished. Sometimes it won't start up when I plug my phone in, so I have to plug and unplug it a few times, and in some cases restart my phone to get it to come up.

jlcpremier!
Thanks for your answer!!!
Could I tell u if, connecting the iPod on the USB of the Pioneer it will resume playback or start from a random song everytime you turn on the engine/ignition?

I ran an entirely new cable direct from the head unit to the console box, so yes it does resume playback, I have no idea how it would work if you modified the OEM USB, but my guess is it should resume playback as well.

I left the Centerpoint and Audiopilot on when I removed my OEM radio, when I replaced it with my Pioneer the Centerpoint and Audiopilot were both gone. That leads me to believe the processing for that must have been done in the head unit itself and not

I had both turned on as well before dismantling the head unit. I am wondering could it be one of the cables in harness sending signal from head unit to the amp and turn on the speaker? Thanks for the info anyway.

New here anyone have your stock touch radio for sale or any idea on where we could buy a stock used one? Wife got the AWD sport in the light metallic blue and none were avail with the touch screen without a long wait. We may go aftermarket but we only really want the basic touch screen and ipod features not worth buying a $300-800 setup.... Looking for a stocker at a decent price.

New here anyone have your stock touch radio for sale or any idea on where we could buy a stock used one? Wife got the AWD sport in the light metallic blue and none were avail with the touch screen without a long wait. We may go aftermarket but we only really want the basic touch screen and ipod features not worth buying a $300-800 setup.... Looking for a stocker at a decent price.

The stock radio/nav in my 2014 GT is so awful that I would pay someone to remove it from my car.

Go aftermarket. I just sold my head unit from a Mazda6 to someone on ebay with the Mazda6 base model (Sport manual.) He paid $200 for the head unit. He wanted bluetooth, so he paid me another $75 for the bluetooth module. Then he discovered he doesn't have the right wiring harness to hook it all up. No microphone or mic wiring, either.

If you're looking to save money by sticking with OEM, forget it. And at that point, you've run out of reasons to forgo the much better solutions waiting for you in the aftermarket world.

For the power and ground on the rearview camera, where did you connect these? Shouldn't they go to a power feed that gets power when in reverse? Also, I couldn't find the spreadsheet from RedBaron that folks are referencing. Thanks!!

It's buggy as hell right now. I primarily use Spotify, and it's a real pain with CarPlay. If I have Spotify on a specific playlist most times it will reset and randomly play something from the entire Your Music playlist. Sometimes it won't play at all and I have to close and re-open the app. However, I still prefer using CarPlay over Pioneer's interface. Maps works pretty well, and Siri works a lot better on CarPlay then with Pioneer's Siri Eyes Free. I can see why it took us so long to get it, cause it has a long way to go before it's polished. Sometimes it won't start up when I plug my phone in, so I have to plug and unplug it a few times, and in some cases restart my phone to get it to come up.

Can someone clarify?

It sounds like the aftermarket solutions work even worse than OEM?

I got this working on a 2014 Mazda6 Touring non-Bose with a Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS. The factory camera pinout is the same as is listed here. I found the power feed for the reverse lights at the back of the car and ran a wire up to power the camera just when the car is in reverse. Thanks for the great information in this post!!

Back