Looking for a cheap intake!!!!! 08 mazda5 GT

S2kvee

:
2008 mazda5 grand touring
First off, this is not my race car nor any means of modding it for kicks but I just want to find a cheap way to squeeze out a little more power outta this underpowered van... Has anyone tried retrofitting a mazda6 or mazda3 short ram or cold air intake on their mazda5?

I have a 2008 grand touring that's used on weekends and road trips... But from what really bothers me is the lag on pick up speed when merging...

Not looking for something fancy, something expensive nor pretty.., I want it the cheapest useful working way...

Does not exist. Unfortunately we are not driving old skool V8s with restricted air flow. Instead we have a tried and ture 2.3 4 banger that's been around the block. SRI and CAI are not worth the money and while they do offer ‘some’ gains, there are also many cons. Try a K&N drop in filter or DIY hack the stock air box for a OAI (more holes/airways under the stock filter). Advancing your timing is not a good idea either. IF it even gets done, the ECU tune might be a feasible option.

(fellow '08 GT owner)

Your only solution is here.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123824797-Bosswagon-Ver-7-0-beta1/page4

Last edited:
I have a 2008 grand touring that's used on weekends and road trips... But from what really bothers me is the lag on pick up speed when merging...
Not looking for something fancy, something expensive nor pretty.., I want it the cheapest useful working way...

With todays computers and tuning, all CAI do is provide more noise, not power.
In the words of many: If you want a more powerful car, buy a more powerful car, it will be the cheapest and most reliable way to upgrade.
Like Silentnoise said, you would need to look into computer re-programming to get even a few HP out of it.
Here is a good post as to why CAI suck: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/air-filtration-test/
Most of them actually WAI (warm air intakes) as they sit inside the engine and suck in the hot air.

You can ad a small turbo, that will boost some power, there was a thread on it some place. It would be same as doing it on the 3.

From what I've read on the forums is that buying a CAI will lower the low end torque, where the 5 needs it the most. You'll gain some in the higher RPM's, but it's not really a good trade off for this car. The best thing to do is go with AEM or K&N drop in filter.

There are some sorta free/cheap options.

1) Drive better and plan your merge. When you want to pass, use the manual mode and drop it to the lowest gear allowed and floor it. Yes, stomping on it will do the same (tranny logic goes into lowest gear) but what you get is that extra few tenths of a sec (a lot of time) of early anticipation in cars peak power curve. Know your limits. If said car is loaded up, this will do nothing for you. Make sure your tranny fluid is healthy also.
2) Lose weight (you and car). Using funny math: 3400lb car / 147 hp = 23.23 lb/hp. Loosing every 23ish lb is like gaining 1 hp -less is more! :D.
3) Add more stickers/fart can. Someone previously posted a device that makes your car sound like a big honking V8. The noise can give other motorist notice of your intentions when attempting to overtake (think Harleys and their loud ass, how are these legal, exhausts). OK, this is a bad example and may not work but we don't have much to work with :p

just a recap... finally found a ebay cold air intake for the mazda3... been about 3 years an i jumped the gun... lol... hopefully itll fit... anyways.. the car is underpowered.. especially low end torque... The factory intake system on this car.. seem like a joke as well... from what i see the air inlet is routed through the battery container... hopefully itll be able to breathe better with the CAI... i dont expect much... but for $40.. ill give it a try.

Back