Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else having problems with their heat shields?

08 Mazda5 Sport, 10 CX9 Touring

Geeshik, the leading part of the mid-pipe you are talking about is a cat converter, its just not monitored on federal emission vehicles. (#2 in the below picture) As for the flexpipe, there are replacement flexpipe sections available in the aftermarket that could be welded in, but I wouldn't replace it just because the protective mesh has come free. It may be a long time before the actual flexpipe fails. Good luck with the rest of the install.

WU-TWC

(See WARM-UP THREE-WAY CATALYTIC CONVERTER (WU-TWC) INSPECTION [L3].)

TWC

Registered Member

2007 Mazda5

Really? I never would have guessed. I always thought it a resonator as most of the time the intermediate and rear exhaust are usually listed as 'cat-back' exhaust. I guess I learned something today. At least now I don't feel so bad about that 'spensive piece of stainless I put in. Now that I am awake and somewhat alert, I thought about re-wrapping that little piece of tunnel insulation that i removed and installing it temporarily for the trip. I think I might do that just for a little peace of mind.

Haha. I guess not. My wife says we're leaving...
    Last edited by Geeshik; 07-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda5

Tonight, I am happy to report that it got us there and back with our 2 hour drive each way. The interior temps were fine and there were no rattles coming from underneath whatsoever. I also had some time to find my camera cable and get some photos up and correct the bit about the resonator/cat confusion i had. (Thanks, loosenut!)

Registered Member

2007 Mazda5

Haven't had the wife's car home long enough in conjunction with me being able to work on it so far to finish it. I did "test" a piece of the old heat shield with my map gas torch and it did burn pretty well. It seemed like the fiberglass was ok, but the black cloth/plastic material that lined the top of it really seemed to burn and melt. Maybe the glue that holds it to the fiberglass??? Not a good idea to use that crap though... Anyway, I am on to another project now for a bit; cutting out and welding in some new rocker panels on my Focus. I haven't been able to find a replacement for my 240,000 mile machine for a reasonable price, so i decided to invest a little time and money to make sure it lasts at least a few years more without folding in on itself.

Registered Member

mazda 5/touring

Yeah, I looked under the 2006 Mazda 5 of mine while changing the oil. The fiberglass is a mess. I will attempt to fix the problem the same way you did. Thanks for the post.

Somehow I missed this thread being updated over and over, day after day. To tie up some loose ends: In the diagram, the cat is #1. In real life, it is the 1st bulge after the exhaust manifold and has the lower O2 sensor immediately downstream.
    In my headerwrap installation, I did not cover the resonators because I feared that they may get hotter than the rest of the exhaust because they could slightly impede flow in order to reduce noise and resonance. I have not had any issues for 3 seasons now, so I think I can report this option is a success (in drier states at least) Not sure if I would have done this if I lived in the Rust Belt or PNW.
    I do like Geeshik's heat shield replacement. I just didn't want to go through the bother of prefabbing things. Using headerwrap cost me <$25 and took 15 minutes.
    04 Volvo V70 T5 MT
    00 Odyssey EX (just totaled)
    01 Outback LL Bean (just totaled)
    97 Accord EX wagon (replaced by V70 T5)
    93 Subaru Legacy L (replaced by Mazda5)
    90 CRX 5MT (Happy Trails)
    90 T-Bird SC 5MT (RIP)
    84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z clone (RIP)
    68 Plymouth Barracuda notchback Slant Six (RIP)

08 Mazda5 Sport, 10 CX9 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
    To tie up some loose ends: In the diagram, the cat is #1. In real life, it is the 1st bulge after the exhaust manifold and has the lower O2 sensor immediately downstream.
    Just to be clear, there are two converters on our 5's, one in the manifold assy (#1) and one at the front of the midpipe (#2). In your repair I would double check how hot the floorboards is getting above that second cat since there is no shielding above it. If it's not getting hot then maybe I wouldn't worry about it but do understand that is a converter and not a resonator.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda5

Tonight was the first night getting the car back so I could work on it. My wife is driving my truck with the kids. So far, the car has done fine without the heat shielding near the firewall. I hope to get that in tomorrow. I am also going to do an oil change, swap out the ridiculous cartridge filter housing, and change the thermostat. Her check engine light came on with the code P0126 last week. All the parts are here, and the car is up, so it's all getting done this weekend. It is a bear finding coolant for these cars. I finally settled on the Zerex purple asian coolant. I'll flush the system of the dark green and start over. That stuff is way to hard to find and it is way to expensive.

2007 5 GT "thing 5"

Our shield rattled on our 07, ripped it off with no side effects. Been driving that way for a year and a half. Been on LONG drives and no issues. Maybe the air is cooler here. ha ha.
    07 5 GT with some upgrades
    11 jeep unlimited with lots of upgrades
    11 Kawasaki versys with lots of upgrades

Registered Member

Thank you for the post OP. My shield starting rattling about a week ago. Your trick with the vice grips was just what I needed. A few fender washers later, my shield is nice and quiet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12