Dash illumination levels

addabox

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD, Meteor Grey Mica
So when I twist the odometer stalk to vary the level on my gauge lighting, it appears alternate between "dim" and "bright." Am I missing something? If not, I find that a little surprising, since every car I've ever owned had a continuously variable dial arrangement for fine tuning levels to one's preference. And I can't see where there's any cost savings between a sort of binary thing and a rheostat.

Turn left (counter clockwise) to dim, it will go almost dark if you keep turning. Turn right (clockwise) to brighten, but once you go to the very right it will CLICK, that sets it to fully ON and OVERRIDES the auto dimming on the infotainment also.

I took my newly acquired CX-5 out last night for its first darkness outing to try out the HID headlights (they are awesome, BTW). My dash lights were set at max which also forces the NAV screen into daylight mode. Way too bright and I didn't know where the dim control was. Finally pulled over, turned on the interior dome lights. It was above the instrument cluster - I had been looking down low. Yes, they do dim variably.

I was disappointed the door-mounted window control buttons are NOT illuminated (you'd expect that in the Grand Touring trim) and had trouble finding the small HomeLink button on the mirror.

OK, I may actually have an issue. I'll check again when it gets dark, but as far as I can make out, my dash dimming is limited to two levels: bright and dim. As I turn the stalk counter clock-wise there is no smooth drop off of level-- just bright until it gets dim, all at one go. May be a dealer visit in my immediate future. Thanks for the info!

Hmmmm, looking at the services manuals someone was kind enough to post, it looks like there are user settings on the dash and screen brightness levels that toggle between "Dark-Medium" and "Dark-Medium-Medium Light-Light", so I'm guessing I'm currently set at "Dark-Medium." Anyone happen to know offhand how to change that? I've looked at the regular manual and it just talks about varying the illumination with the odometer stalk, not changing the possible range. And the service page I've been able to access ("Personalized Features") alludes to multiple settings but references "detailed descriptions" somewhere else for how to actually toggle them.

Back