re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

• YES - Tech Package

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • YES - No Tech

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • NO - Tech Package

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • NO - No Tech

Votes: 57 35.8%

• Total voters
I am going to install a strut tower bar as sort of an insurance against stress cracks to the windscreen as well as an improvement to handling.

Hi there!

I have a 2015 CX-5 GT with the Tech Package with just over 3000 km on it and I live in Calgary, Alberta. I had a 10 inch horizontal crack suddenly appear on the drivers' side of the windshield starting at the edge of the windshield about half way up the windshield. It was actually quite a warm day here (7 to 10 Celcius) car was parked in the garage - parked it in the garage about 9:30 am with no crack and then when we went to use the car about 4:45 pm there was the crack. I have no stone chips at all in the windshield so I assumed it was some type of windshield defect and/or a design problem and from looking at the other posts in this forum, it appears that is probably the case. I have an appointment to take it in to the dealer next week to get the windshield replaced and I think it should be replaced under warranty but we will have to wait and see how successful I am in that effort. Overall I must say I am very disappointed with such an issue developing and I will be even more disappointed if it is not covered by the warranty.

IMG_0002.JPG

Update Jan.21, 2015: Added photo above. Dealer is replacing windshield today under warranty - no cost to me, however I am concerned about this being a potential ongoing problem...

Last edited:
Hi there!

I have a 2015 CX-5 GT with the Tech Package with just over 3000 km on it and I live in Calgary, Alberta. I had a 10 inch horizontal crack suddenly appear on the drivers' side of the windshield starting at the edge of the windshield about half way up the windshield.

Welcome! I see this is your very first post. I'm always amazed how many people don't bother to visit a forum until something breaks.

Will you post a photo for us? Thanks.

Not just Mazda, but in general it seems windshields these days are not as good as they used to be. Maybe they are made thinner to cut costs?
During our first road trip, we got a rock chip in the windshield, bottom right hand corner. So stopped to find a repair shop. After a 15 min stop, came back to the car to find the chip had already run 20" across the passenger side, while it was parked. Oh well, too late now.
Then the other night, I notice a 10" crack coming from the middle roof line, right behind the mirror. No visible rock chips. WTF?
I understand getting a star in the window, can make it run all over. But the second one appears from nowhere.
Went to a couple shops to get estimate, and both say it looks like stress. Could confirm after removal.
Went to dealer and the service guy wasn't too sure and wouldn't say too much. Said his manager had to look at it. I'm sure they won't do anything since i have the rock chip crack also, but I would really like to know about the stress thing, before I spend $400 for a replacement.
FWIW, up here rock chips are part of driving, but I've never owned a vehicle where this turns into regular maintenance.

2015 GT, purchased Dec. 2014 no Tech Package.

Gotta a rock chip Monday. Freezing nights Tues, Wed and Thurs, days in the high 50's and crack did not spread. Thurs. had it glued, guy said it was repairable and was impressed with the car too.

Mazda Windshield.jpg

Well count me in on the "stress crack" issue. The windshield started cracking from the top center is spreading downward. No chips or bullseyes, just bugs on the screen. Car is 2 months old.

View attachment 210108

Well count me in on the "stress crack" issue. The windshield started cracking from the top center is spreading downward. No chips or bullseyes, just bugs on the screen. Car is 2 months old.
I'm in the same boat as you. Car is one month old, 2,000 miles, and a stress crack that looks just like yours. It just appeared out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the details on the CX-5 2016 glass improvements? Was it the door glass, windshield, or all the glass?
I'm in the market for a CX-5 and Im trying to decide between a 16 or a 15 which I can get a better deal on.
If the 2016s do indeed have better windshields, that alone would convince me to opt for paying more for a new 2016 just to avoid the cracked windshield probs.
Thanks for any info.

Hi, I'm from Taiwan. I think it should be a quality issue. We are talking about this issue in Taiwan due to there are already more than 100 owners in two Taiwanese FB CX-5 Club had replaced the windshield within 2 years. MAZDA only sold around 4,000 CX-5 in Taiwan till now, the percentage is pretty high. There should be other owners encountered this issue but they don't join the club in Taiwan. Now we are working on negotiate with Mazda Taiwan, but they just released an official announcement that the windshield pass the test, and nothing more. Orz

We also noticed there is the same issue in the US. The record in NHTSA database also shows lots of compliant of CX-5 windshield cracked.
We are wondering if NHTSA will have an investigation for this due to it looks like a trend already.
The solution for us now is replace a third party windshield instead of MAZDA's when the windshield cracked, we don't trust it already.

Last edited:
Not only is cracking a problem but, I've had two replaced because of stuff imbedded in the glass. The imbedded stuff make driving into the sun, looks like sand within the glass. Ed

Does anyone have the details on the CX-5 2016 glass improvements? Was it the door glass, windshield, or all the glass?
I'm in the market for a CX-5 and Im trying to decide between a 16 or a 15 which I can get a better deal on.
If the 2016s do indeed have better windshields, that alone would convince me to opt for paying more for a new 2016 just to avoid the cracked windshield probs.
Thanks for any info.

Just my 2 cents...I have a 2016 CX-6 GT with Tech/Rain Sensing Wipers/SCBS and have LESS than 900 miles and I noticed a crack directly in the CENTER of the windshield by all these sensors! However I did noticed an indication that a small rock might have hit the windshield! As I was on my Bluetooth phone explain the crack to a friend of mine...Bam! another small rock struck the lower right side of the windshield causing a small nick! I have FULL glass coverage with no deductible and Safelite states no replacement windshields are available must be OEM. They have ordered the windshield from Mazda should arrive 5 to 7 business days! I believe its because the thickness of the windshield! I was wondering if ANYONE has installed the ClearPlex Windshield Protection Film as mentioned by Kedis82ZE8 on page 4?

Last edited:
I just received an "Attorney Advertisement" re: windshield sunroof/moonroof problems in 2013-2015 Mazda CX-5s in the mail today.
Personally, I did not experience a crack, knock on wood. This is their info http://www.mazdawindshieldproblems.com/

Our investigation has revealed that a number of consumers who own or lease 2013-2015 Mazda CX-5 vehicles may be experiencing issues with their windshields or sunroofs/moonroofs. Some of these vehicles' windshields, sunroofs, or moonroofs may spontaneously crack or shatter. These problems may require repair or or replacement of the windshield or sunroof/moonroof glass.

Looks like this is not a class-action yet, but they did manage to have Mazda provide them information about owners of these vehicles (I assume).

I haven't been in here for a while, but thought I'd note, this issue isn't only Mazda's - numerous other automakers are experiencing problems with "fragile" glass.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I just received an "Attorney Advertisement" re: windshield sunroof/moonroof problems in 2013-2015 Mazda CX-5s in the mail today.
Personally, I did not experience a crack, knock on wood. This is their info http://www.mazdawindshieldproblems.com/

Looks like "ambulance" chasing law practice. Anyone have any good lawyer jokes?

Here's what I sent them:

I haven't experienced any cracks or chips yet but I'm afraid I might. My Volvo S80 and Ford F-150 both got cracks in the first year of ownership so I'm thinking I'm overdue and it's ready to break. Actually, I'm surprised it hasn't yet. It's a 2013 CX-5.

And people wonder why cars cost so much today!

Last edited:
I haven't been in here for a while, but thought I'd note, this issue isn't only Mazda's - numerous other automakers are experiencing problems with "fragile" glass.

Glass is fragile? No kidding! I learned that back when I was about 7 years old. Seems like half the cars had a big ol' crack streaking across the windshield.

Oooops! (I said "crack" and "streaking" while talking about the 1970's!). Don't look Ethel!

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

From this video, CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan V5.14, members of a CX-5 owner club in Taiwan held a protest in front of Mazda Taiwan office asking for warranty extension on easy breaking windshield (they submitted data、photos and comparison chart proving that CX-5's windshield is indeed easier to break than any other cars), SkyActiv-D diesel engine (installing inferior OEM oil filter at dealer service and filter has been changed since), and automatic transmission (Mazda couldn't provide correct transmission fluid even using wrong fluid at dealer service). I did talk to a senior salesman at Mazda dealer in Taipei and he said Mazda had admitted there was issues on windshield and it has been corrected in MY 2016. Mazda Taiwan office has also extended the warranty on windshield and will replace it for free if it cracked.

I believe there is some merit on weak windshield which got installed on CX-5. CX-5's sold in Taiwan are imported from Japan. Here is certifications stamped on the windshield which is the same as in the US:
Mazda%252520CX-5%252520SkyActiv%252520D%252520Taipei_17%252520-%252520Windshield%252520Imprint.jpg

Glass is fragile? No kidding! I learned that back when I was about 7 years old. Seems like half the cars had a big ol' crack streaking across the windshield.

Oooops! (I said "crack" and "streaking" while talking about the 1970's!). Don't look Ethel!
Funny. The original windshield in both my 67 Buick and 72 Chevy, with 230,000 miles shared between them, is scant a crack.

Of course there is merit to these claims. Mike would have you believe it is a total sensationalized fabrication.

Sure, windshields fracture. Yes, environment and operating conditions contribute to the likelihood. But once you see dozens and dozens of claims which transcend many automakers...it's kind of a red flag.

Funny. The original windshield in both my 67 Buick and 72 Chevy, with 230,000 miles shared between them, is scant a crack.

Haha! You said "scant a crack"! Heehee.

Of course there is merit to these claims. Mike would have you believe it is a total sensationalized fabrication.

Perhaps a combination of the two? I'm not so quick to assume the "of course" part (based on the evidence) and there is definitely some amount of sensationalized fabrication (even if there is the possibility of some amount of merit). The CX-5 truly is a revolutionary vehicle for it's day, not only are other makers scrambling to catch up but, in the interim, the CX-5 threatens the volume and therefore the profit margins of other makers who have a stake in the segment. And then we have the litigious lawyers who know they can extract money from the manufacturer to get them to go away. Bad press is bad for business and all this happens at a time when Mazda is redefining their image from a niche auto maker with second class automotive technology and build quality into a leader (perhaps not a leader in terms of volume but at least containing top tier engineering and style design coupled with top tier reliability and drive quality).

So, of course Mazda is a growing threat to the dominate manufacturers and I see the evidence loud and clear that some of the other players are fighting hard to harm the perception of Mazda's newfound market respect. Is there a big element of that in all this cracked windshield hullabaloo? I see it loud and clear.

Glass does not HAVE to be fragile. There are structural glazing applications that can withstand hurricane force hits, all while supporting great structural loads. So not all glass is equal.

Back