re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

• YES - Tech Package

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • YES - No Tech

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • NO - Tech Package

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • NO - No Tech

Votes: 57 35.8%

• Total voters
Well, just went to my local Mazda dealer... The service manager or whoever it was told me it was "chipped" already around that crack line and that caused it to crack... He just used a ballpoint pen and ran the pen across the line and told me one part wasn't smooth... Not sure how accurate that really is.

I was told a generic windshield will cost around $200 whereas Mazda OEM will cost anywhere from $500 + labor

I had repaired 3 windshield chips on wife's CX-5....one of which had a crater star crack about a size of a penny using DIY kits from Wal-Mart. None produced a crack to warrant total replacement. Original OEM since 2012 at almost 50k miles. Then last week it got hit producing a tiny chip but a large j-shaped crack that needed replacement.

Just had a -Made in China- Solar Tint windshield made by FY installed (without using insurance) for $237 out the door with lifetime warranty and free chip repairs for life. Adding $0-deductible windshield replacement coverage would be $40 extra per month per car on my insurance. The way I see it this aftermarket windshield needs to last us 6 months to equate that extra $40 month premium.

What are your guys' premium costs for $0-deductible windshield coverage?

Took a shot dead center driver's side over the weekend, a noticeable chip but no cracks yet. Was the 3rd substantial chip in only 2 months/1600 miles of the car's life. I live in SC, where we have $0 deductible/no claim for glass replacement (with comprehensive). My policy every 6 months is $560, 100k/300k/100k with 100k/300k UM&UIM coverage, $1500 deductible (yes, I know that is high).

Insurance company told me it was likely not repairable due to location, so they have scheduled a new windshield (OEM) to be installed this Wednesday.

All in all, $0 out of pocket for what I feel like is a reasonably priced insurance policy with well above minimum coverage limits.

Mine, it was replaced under warranty. They tried the pencil trick and the pencil did not stop at all on the crack, so they approved a free replacement.

Back