re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

• YES - Tech Package

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • YES - No Tech

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • NO - Tech Package

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • NO - No Tech

Votes: 57 35.8%

• Total voters

meteorgrey

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Hi there guys and gals,

New member, new owner here. Just picked up a base model 2015 CX5 Touring FWD in Meteor Grey, sans options/Tech Package. Loving it so far!

Anyways, since I joined this forum the problem of the seemingly spontaneous windshield stress fractures has gotten me very curious. I know that I can't very well avoid something like this if it happens. After doing a bit more research here, on other Mazda related forums, and on safercar, it seems like the spontaneous cracks happen mostly on models that include the Tech Package/"Smart City Brake Support" cluster mounted on their windshields. Most of the cracked windshields on cars without Tech Package, however, seem to be related to small rocks and extreme temperatures. Does this seem to be the consensus?

I was curious enough to have added a poll. If you have had your windshield cracked, can you please indicate whether your model includes the Tech Package? If you could also add any other information like model year, climate where you live, and where the car is stored, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much, everyone!

Last edited:
Are you a trial attorney or do you work for attorneys?

There is no consensus that the CX-5 is any more or less susceptible than any other car although I have seen a couple of people propose that theory. In fact, when I bought my 2010 Ford F-150 there were members of two of those forums suggesting the same thing about the new F-150's. But I never saw any evidence that they had a higher failure rate than any other car or truck.

Yes, it can make you suspicious if the windshield of your new car or truck gets a crack but it is best to avoid jumping to conclusions from a sample size of one. And if your windshield cracks, it is natural to want to tell the world. If it hasn't cracked you might not even be interested in reading a thread about cracked windshields or responding to a poll.

Last edited:
No I'm a VFX Artist, lol. I was just curious because I have seen posts here and elsewhere regarding windshields just spontaneously cracking out of nowhere just sitting in a garage or driveway. Got me curious so I thought I would ask, or make some sort of place where people who have had this happen can maybe see specifics about the problem. I realize this may have come off like a shady attorney's ploy to get some sort of suit started, I just wanted to know if there was a higher correlation between said stress fractures and the SCBS cluster. Even if it is just correlation/coincidence, the difference to replace the different windshields might be substantial (not sure of cost to replace basic CX5 windshield).

Cheers.

No I'm a VFX Artist
Cheers.

Hi fellow VFX artist and fellow CX5 driver!

I have had "the crack" apprear from the center top of the windshield went down about a foot long and turned to the driver side for another good 4-5 inches.

It happened on a road trip this winter when going thru NY... all the conditions where good for the windshield to crack (went from -8 degres in the morning on start (from inside a garage) and back to about 6 degrees outside within 6 hours of driving...I heard a big "wack" tought it must have been a rock or something impacted my windshield, but after inspection I could hardly tell where the rock would have impacted if rock there was.

I now have a new windshield since febuary, but I will keep an eye on it... If the same type of crack happens again I will seriously consider stress related issues with this windshield.

I've gone through 2 windshields that had damage not caused by a rock. they were non oem replacement from safelite, but it seems that it may be an issue with the frame and not the glass

Were you able to get the windshield replaced under warranty from Mazda? I hear that they have been giving some folks a hard time when it comes to trying to get it fixed.

Got a bullseye crack but it was not related to any design defect or stress. A huge rock...and I heard it because it was really loud hit the window and caused a bullseye crack. Had it sealed but is still visible but on lower passenger side so I didn't want to replace the whole windshield. I am not inclined to say it is the car because I had 3cracks in one year, equinox, Montana and now the cx-5..... But none in the previous 20 years.....bad year I suppose......maybe I should check that Chinese calendar.....

Model year 2013-GT w/Tech pkg, 2+ years, 28K miles. I have a couple rock chips from some pretty good hits. No cracks in original windshield.

Chick I work with has a 2013 GT (not sure if she has tech or not). Anyways, she's had 3 cracked windshields since she's own the vehicle. She's VERY pissed off about it. I've had mine for 3 months now...no problems yet (touch wood).

Now, if they would just fix that USB issue.

Bon

Model year 2013-GT w/Tech pkg, 2+ years, 28K miles. I have a couple rock chips from some pretty good hits. No cracks in original windshield.

This. I've had some hits hard/loud enough to wake sleeping passengers. Damn near made me soil my pants.

Hi fellow VFX artist and fellow CX5 driver!

Hello! Always awesome to see fellow VFX artists!

I heard a big "wack" tought it must have been a rock or something impacted my windshield, but after inspection I could hardly tell where the rock would have impacted if rock there was.

This. I've had some hits hard/loud enough to wake sleeping passengers. Damn near made me soil my pants.

This has been the case for me as well. I have had the car for about 10 days now, and since making a 325 mile trip from Northern California to Los Angeles I heard a loud "whack!" as well, which I'm sure was a small rock or debris, but can't find a mark of any kind. Chalk it up to good luck I suppose, either that or blindness and inability to inspect a windshield on my part lol. Fingers crossed that a crack doesn't happen soon, flying-rock or otherwise. Plenty of time and plenty of miles for that though!

Cheers.

this is almost scary! im a vfx artist from sweden and my windshield
cracked after 2 weeks...it was a rock though. big chip in the center.
could it be the green screens affecting the way we drive?

Hi all

From the UK so our trim levels don't strictly match the US although I have the SCBS, rain sensing wipers and auto headlights. A few weeks ago my CX5 developed a "J" shaped crack from the top middle of the windscreen in a perfect vertical line and then curling to the left half way down as seen from inside the car. This was while the vehicle was parked in full sun for approx 3 hours so I didn't see/hear the actual event. Dealer of course blamed a stone chip so small it could hardly be seen. (I'm still not convinced there was a stone chip in line with the crack). Bought the car brand new in November 2013.

Screen replaced on insurance (70 excess) eventually on second visit after the glass fitter brought the incorrect screen the first time. Four different types apparently. He did comment that the glass looked as though it had delaminated each side of the crack on the black area around the rear view mirror. I did notice that the black rubber/plastic external top seal of the windscreen appeared to be a different design with a horizontal groove in it. Never had a cracked windscreen on any car I've owned previously from 1989 onwards.

Jonno21

Hello from the states, fellow VFX artist! Haha, perhaps! Maybe it's another ploy by the suits in Hollywood to crush our will and morale as useful artists (encourage) lol.

He did comment that the glass looked as though it had delaminated each side of the crack on the black area around the rear view mirror. I did notice that the black rubber/plastic external top seal of the windscreen appeared to be a different design with a horizontal groove in it. Never had a cracked windscreen on any car I've owned previously from 1989 onwards.

Jonno21

Interesting. I wish I knew enough about glass to know how common it is for windshields to delaminate like that, or if it is more common with certain types of glass. I've never had a windshield crack on me either, including a '97 Toyota Avalon windshield that had two pretty good chunks taken out of it. I suppose it must have been thicker glass though. Maybe just another cost cutting measure by Mazda?

Out of my last 5 cars the CX-5 is the only one that has not had a cracked windshield. But the roads I drive have a lot of dump trucks and gravel on the road.

Out of my last 5 cars the CX-5 is the only one that has not had a cracked windshield. But the roads I drive have a lot of dump trucks and gravel on the road.

I wish your windshield and CX-5 a long life free of problems! I'm sure that will be the case, knock on wood, because you seem to really know and care about care maintenance and longevity.

Cheers!

lol... or all the overtime.

GT/Tech. Nice fat crack across about 1/2 my windshield. I thought it was a stress crack, but I found a tiny tiny tiny rock chip in it by the frame. :(

I do find it odd that Ive never had a cracked windshield in any of 4 miatas and a Lotus that all sit really close to the ground, but a high riding SUV gets a crack in less than a year.

It is worth noting that most areas in the US had record setting low temperatures this year, which contributes to cracks.

is there a consensus on the best glass to get? I hear bad reviews about safelite.

Back