Protege radiator (non turbo) needed and questions.

SoonP5ismine

Contributor
:
2003.5 MP5 Laser Blue Automatic (SOLD)
After noticing a small crack by the top hose fitting I will be buying a new radiator. I can get an ebay radiator for about 50$ but would rather get something that will be better made. So I have a few questions.

What is the brand of radiator that is stock on the Protege (non MazdaSpeed model)? The original lasted me 11 years so I wouldn't mind getting the same if not too expensive.
If I already added an additional cooler for my trans fluid do I need to run the trans lines through the bottom of the radiator? Reason I ask is that I may be able to cool off fluid better with just the radiator I added.
Any particular brand you guys recommend that will not cost me an arm and a leg?
Thanks.

Just order a denso radiator or any aftermarket radiator a will work. You'll transfer over the trans lines and upper/lower lines to the new radiator
Now is the time to replace your upper and lower hoses as well, as a failing hose is just as bad as a leaking radiator. If you buy oem, you'll pay 2 to 3x more. D Tay away from the eBay junk, they're only,there to make a quick buck

Somehow I no longer trust the plastic top and bottom radiators after having them crack on 2 of my previous mazdas. I see a Feeda brand all aluminum radiator on ebay right now for $150 that has 2 rows while the stock has 1 row so it has a little higher coolant capacity but I can't find anything about the brand Feeda and am skeptical about buying it. I really would buy another plastic one but which are good. And I could not find any Denso on ebay that fit my protege.

All I say is...why would you put a crazy radiator in such a basic car? It's your car and you do what you can, but the radiator went because of age. There's millions of cars out there with plastic-tank radiators and they last sometimes the lifetime of the car. It just depends how well some people take care of the car.

my 1997 protg LX saw 306k miles until she went to the boneyard, and the original radiator went to about 230k.

We're talking about very basic cars here, barely putting 100hp to the pavement. Basic 4 cylinder cars. There's no need for a 2 row radiator unless you were thinking about a serious engine build, then a 2 row radiator will help dissipate the heat better.

Go to www.rockauto.com

Youll find all the parts you need on there. should be about 65 bucks shipped to your front door.

Back