2015 Mazda3 Sedan & Hatch - 2.5 Liter "S" Model with Manual Transmission

Familia4WS

:
2013 M3H SGT P (1 of about 100 made)
2015 Mazda3 Sedan & Hatch - 2.5 Liter "S" Model with Manual Transmission

For dealers, when performing a dealer locate, the drop down menu for trim levels gets updated far in advance, and is usually a spot-on indicator as to what will be available. As of a few days ago, the 2015 M3S & M3H S-models show up with the manual option, for both Touring and Grand Touring. No additional options show up which makes me wonder if the GT manual won't have the option for the Technology Package, which wouldn't be that big of a deal for most people, considering it's purely safety related options and i-ELOOP. Looks like there was enough demand after all for the 2014 i-model manuals. We should thank everyone that bought one!

Cool. Although I had to have an automatic for my daily driver so my wife can drive it, I want to see a manual offering in the 2.5L.

Be prepared, however, to find out that the manual cars may have no acceleration advantage over the auto cars. That seems to be the trend, these days.

For dealers, when performing a dealer locate, the drop down menu for trim levels gets updated far in advance, and is usually a spot-on indicator as to what will be available. As of a few days ago, the 2015 M3S & M3H S-models show up with the manual option, for both Touring and Grand Touring. No additional options show up which makes me wonder if the GT manual won't have the option for the Technology Package, which wouldn't be that big of a deal for most people, considering it's purely safety related options and i-ELOOP. Looks like there was enough demand after all for the 2014 i-model manuals. We should thank everyone that bought one!
did you see anything about cx-5 models for 2015

Be prepared, however, to find out that the manual cars may have no acceleration advantage over the auto cars. That seems to be the trend, these days.

And I'd be completely fine with that. I want the larger engine & 3 pedals. Fractions of a second be damned.

Yeah, manuals haven't been faster or more fuel efficient than (good) autos for a while now, but they're still more fun and involving. I never would have considered buying my RX-8 with an auto with paddle shifters, even if it was faster and more fuel efficient. I would be willing to bet that the 0-60 time for the auto (in sport mode) for the 2.5L will be quicker than the manual by a few tenths of a second.

Speaking of this, I've been using Sport-Manual mode almost exclusively in around-town driving for two or three weeks now. I haven't seen a significant drop in fuel efficiency. I calculate it for every fill-up, and record my calculated number and the car reported average in a Google Docs spreadsheet. I haven't calculated the average for before and after in similar weather conditions, but the numbers look pretty much the same, and I'm having a whole lot more fun driving it.

Chibana, get an MX5 with 6 speed and keep your 3. My 2008 MX5 PRHT with 41,000 miles on it cost me $10,000. Yes, it was salvaged, but the little paint imperfections mean nothing when I'm blasting around town with the top down. Once I sell the Corvette and get a 3s, I'll have a great commuting car (auto trans is great for the occasional traffic jam) and the ultimate fun car-the MX5 with manual trans. What a combo!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

I would love an MX-5, but my wife would kill me if I had THREE Mazdas! Besides, I don't fit well in even the NC Miata. I test drove one before my RX-8, and I was just too cramped in leg room.

What a shame! At one time, we had 3 Mazdas but are currently at just 2 (before we buy the Mazda 3).

It will not be special order. As for manual vs automatic in this car, while I agree that the 2.5 auto is one of the best I've ever driven, basing my assumption purely on the 2.5 manual in the Mazda6 vs the auto, the manual in the 2.5 Mazda3 will be a blast! It easily feels like a 200HP+ vehicle.

As for the CX-5 question mentioned above, the only change for the mid-2015 model is the removal of the 2.0 liter engine in the Sport. It now gets the 2.5. And no news for 2016 yet.

It will not be special order. As for manual vs automatic in this car, while I agree that the 2.5 auto is one of the best I've ever driven, basing my assumption purely on the 2.5 manual in the Mazda6 vs the auto, the manual in the 2.5 Mazda3 will be a blast! It easily feels like a 200HP+ vehicle.

As for the CX-5 question mentioned above, the only change for the mid-2015 model is the removal of the 2.0 liter engine in the Sport. It now gets the 2.5. And no news for 2016 yet.

thx. was hoping the word diesel would pop up lol

Am I correct to understand that the 2.0L is dropped for the CX-5 Sport? Does this include the manual-transmission equipped CX-5?
Will we see a CX-5 Sport MT-6 w/ 2.5L?

There's Mazda6 owners on another board that dyno'd their cars and got anywhere from 163-168hp to the wheels with the auto, no torque figures though but in a way there's evidence that the 2.5 is making a little bit more than what's on the spec sheet. Also, Motorweek ran a 6.9 to 60 in sport mode with a 3s GT as well and I believe they tested the car this past december. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody dyno'd a 6MT and found that its making a lot more than what its rated for

Last edited:
I just noticed that the new 2.5L Mazda 3 S (with manual transmission) has showed up on the government's fuel economy site, so the car is definitely in the pipeline. But the numbers are disappointing....mileage for the 2.5L manual has dropped to 26/35 vs. 29/40 for the 2.0L. This is only 1 mpg better than the much more powerful GTI.

- Mark

I believe it will be 2015 models, only. Most newer vehicle automatic models are faster AND more efficient than the manual models.

I just noticed that the new 2.5L Mazda 3 S (with manual transmission) has showed up on the government's fuel economy site, so the car is definitely in the pipeline. But the numbers are disappointing....mileage for the 2.5L manual has dropped to 26/35 vs. 29/40 for the 2.0L. This is only 1 mpg better than the much more powerful GTI.

- Mark

Still markedly better than the 27 combined I'm currently getting in my 14 year old TL.

- Mark

That's about what you'd expect. The 2.5L AT gives up 2/3 mpg vs the 2.0 AT, and the MT gives up 1 mpg city. I guess I'd hope for the highway number to be 37ish, but it's still not bad. Significantly better than my Speed. Specs for the 2014 hatchback.

EPA-ESTIMATED FUEL EFFICIENCY
- 29/40 mpg (SKYACTIV-G 2.0L MT)†
- 30/40 mpg (SKYACTIV-G 2.0L AT)†
- 27/37 mpg (SKYACTIV-G 2.5L AT)†
- 28/38 mpg (SKYACTIV-G 2.5L AT with i-ELOOP)†

I believe it will be 2015 models, only. Most newer vehicle automatic models are faster AND more efficient than the manual models.

In this case, the AT is more efficient, but I doubt it will be quicker. The MT is a close-ratio box, with 6th the same ratio as 5th in the AT (.708). It's around 70lbs lighter, though, and I like shifting for myself.

Back