Rear brakes gone at 15k..

Me too, but I've already dissembled the brakes twice to paint the calipers with only 3,000 miles ;). When I get some time, I will do a write up on brake pad replacement.

Yeah, would like to pain the calipers too, but, don't know if I'm talented enough. I've done brakes in the past, but, it's been awhile, and never on a Mazda(mostly Fords).

Yeah, would like to pain the calipers too, but, don't know if I'm talented enough. I've done brakes in the past, but, it's been awhile, and never on a Mazda(mostly Fords).

Ford and Mazdas should be pretty similar depending which Ford model you had. If you have even little experience with braking systems and some basic tools, I believe, with a little step by step instructions, you should be able to accomplish this. Hopefully I'll get some time this upcoming week to get a how-to going.

Ford and Mazdas should be pretty similar depending which Ford model you had. If you have even little experience with braking systems and some basic tools, I believe, with a little step by step instructions, you should be able to accomplish this. Hopefully I'll get some time this upcoming week to get a how-to going.

I replaced pretty much everything, except for the calipers, on a 95 Ford Tourus, and I've done pads/rotors and shoes/drums on other models as well.

I replaced pretty much everything, except for the calipers, on a 95 Ford Tourus, and I've done pads/rotors and shoes/drums on other models as well.

I predict it should not be a problem for you. As far as painting, simply buy cheap plastic sheeting from a "Dollar" store and painter's tape. Cover all the surrounding areas and you shouldn't have any issues with overspray or accidents [emoji6]

Thanks for the pictures Skorpio.

I am about to replace the front and rear pads at 80000kms.
When I took the rear brakes apart to service them after the rear one was dragging, I didn't have that fancy tool to screw the rear piston back into the caliper. I used a flat head screwdriver and my hand to slowly twist it back in. Just have to make sure you're going the right way.

Does anyone have any extra info about the TSB on what modifications they did to the rear pads? Will my Mazda dealer give me this info or will they keep that info to themselves?

No problem [emoji106] (thumb). And, that's a good tip with the screwdriver, as most folks won't have the tools I am accustomed to using and own. I don't recommend pushing the brake fluid back into the system and back flushing through the ABS system however, as it's possible, although not common, to damage the ABS system or introduce a fault. Many do it without issue, but it is a possibility. Another tip I can give to others who will attempt to replace the rear brakes is once the caliper piston is screwed in, make sure the 4 grooves are just like they were when the caliper was removed, which will look like the picture, or a "+" sign. There is a an alignment tab on the back of the rear pad that juts out and will interfere with the piston and not allow the pad to sit flush unless the channels are positioned correctly. Hopefully I'll get some time soon to do a brake servicing how-to.

Last edited:
You'd think that by now states would have come up with an alternative to salt. If we can send a man to the moon (35 years ago!)...

Its all about money my friend. Salt is cheaper than other man made substances.

i just changed mine at 45,000km and i thought that was poor life span.
mine got hung up in the hardware and one pad (right side inboard) was dragging on the rotor and essentially wore itself out.

right about $100 tx in from mazda - cheap enough fix - just odd - in my experience generally 2 sets of fronts per rear set, not the other way around.

right about $100 tx in from mazda - cheap enough fix - just odd - in my experience generally 2 sets of fronts per rear set, not the other way around.

My G35 goes through the rears faster than fronts as well. On that car it is related to traction & stability control.

Rear brakes grab harder, than the front ones for cases when you hit the brake hard and than the car won't dip forward as in the past. It's safer.
I had this feature on my ex 08' VW Rabbit.

Rear brakes grab harder, than the front ones for cases when you hit the brake hard and than the car won't dip forward as in the past. It's safer.

That isn't even remotely true, you virtually always want stronger brakes at the front. The weight moving to the front - purely a consequence of inertia - means that the front tires have more traction, and that there is more energy to dissipate.

There's a reason why front brakes are ALWAYS larger than rears. Lot of "disinformation" on this forum!

That isn't even remotely true, you virtually always want stronger brakes at the front. The weight moving to the front - purely a consequence of inertia - means that the front tires have more traction, and that there is more energy to dissipate.

Please read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_brakeforce_distribution
especially the part about:
"In some systems, EBD distributes more braking pressure at the rear brakes during initial brake application before the effects of weight transfer become apparent."
"the conventional brake design is modified in the direction of rear axle overbraking"

With EBD the rear axle is braked harder than the front under light brake application and the slip angle is monitored, and only under fairly hard braking the front brakes start doing most of the work.

I know, what I'm talking about.
Brake systems have change in the last couple of years, with these EBD systems.

Yes, EBD, VSC, BA, TC and ABS all have impact and are integrated with brake systems in latest and best vehicles today.

Please read this:

Sure, but that is really only appropriate for a short time under gentle braking. You still have small pads with single pistons at the back, and when you stomp on the anchors, it is the front wheels that do the work. So to say that the rear brakes 'grab harder' is still completely misleading.

And just for confirmation, the rear pads on the CX-5 are indeed smaller than the fronts. Irrespective of EBD pushing things towards the back versus a traditional system, the fronts definitely do the heavy work.

Please read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_brakeforce_distribution
especially the part about:
"In some systems, EBD distributes more braking pressure at the rear brakes during initial brake application before the effects of weight transfer become apparent."
"the conventional brake design is modified in the direction of rear axle overbraking"

With EBD the rear axle is braked harder than the front under light brake application and the slip angle is monitored, and only under fairly hard braking the front brakes start doing most of the work.

Do we know for sure that our CX-5s has EBD?? Is it on all trim levels and standard, or is it only AWD, or only with the tech package, etc??

Do we know for sure that our CX-5s has EBD?? Is it on all trim levels and standard, or is it only AWD, or only with the tech package, etc??

Yes, per Mazda, standard on all versions of CX-5:

Anti-lock Brake System w/ Electronic Brakeforce Distribution & Brake Assist

Back