Rear brakes gone at 15k..

Apology accepted Scorpio! ;) I hate credentials on forums because there is no way to verify them. I beleve you are a mechanic because you've shown good knowlege in other posts. But who knows if I'm realy a physicist!

The fact that you've noticed a lot of transmission failures in Mazdas is very important and useful information, but says little about the relation between transmission failure and engine braking, unless you can show that Mazda owners are more inclined to engine brake. That said, your experience could be beneficial to this thread!

I believe you are a physicist, vroom. I mean, who would actually say that on a forum about cars and transmissions and not be true?? (rlaugh) I'm J/K. I wasn't tying in excessive shifting with Mazda failures, only that weaker transmissions will more likely be more weaker when asked to do more than average duty, and that it's cheaper to replace brakes than risk an expensive trans failure. Wow, this might be my first debate ever with a physicist! (yippy)

I have pulled out from this discussion. I won't keep the car that long, to worry about it's length of life.

I'm sorry it did get drawn out, and you were involved in it. It wasn't my intention. Like I mentioned, it's your car and money, please drive it as you like. We are all together in this forum to help each other out and share useful information. May your car last as long as you need it for (drinks)

It isn't even the number of shifts though, as much as the context. Any shifts during hard acceleration are going to be far more severe than downshifts you will do during engine breaking. But this is all part of normal wear and tear.

So even if it is a stupid way to supposedly save money on brakes, the actual engine/transmission wear you would experience is completely negligible.

I can understand Skorpoi's point but as others have pointed out its hard to quantify and link to actual transmission failures. I would agree though that abusing the transmission can certainly shorten its life as I think we can all agree that this is just common sense. I think he's just trying to point out that if you are doing things like downshifting to too low a gear regularly as a habit, that it makes the engine race and stresses the bearings and gears more than normal and you may run the risk of shortening its life over time. Again how can one quantify that and link it to the number of shifts you make; well you just cannot.

I think the more important thing would be regular maintenance or the lack of it can shorten the life of any mechanical component like a transmission. Of course Mazda for some reason does not specify what the maintenance interval should be.

I can understand Skorpoi's point but as others have pointed out its hard to quantify and link to actual transmission failures. I would agree though that abusing the transmission can certainly shorten its life as I think we can all agree that this is just common sense. I think he's just trying to point out that if you are doing things like downshifting to too low a gear regularly as a habit, that it makes the engine race and stresses the bearings and gears more than normal and you may run the risk of shortening its life over time. Again how can one quantify that and link it to the number of shifts you make; well you just cannot.

I think the more important thing would be regular maintenance or the lack of it can shorten the life of any mechanical component like a transmission. Of course Mazda for some reason does not specify what the maintenance interval should be.
Thank you V8 for elaborating, your comment is basically spot on. I wasn't indicating any link to any failures.
I plan to go 30K fluid changes on transmission. This has served me well over the years. I was doing them at 15K miles on my Maxima but that was probably overkill.
I think your schedule is sound, like engine oil, I too, believe it's better in the long run to change sooner than later, even if only for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Apology accepted Scorpio! ;) I hate credentials on forums because there is no way to verify them. I beleve you are a mechanic because you've shown good knowlege in other posts. But who knows if I'm realy a physicist!

The fact that you've noticed a lot of transmission failures in Mazdas is very important and useful information, but says little about the relation between transmission failure and engine braking, unless you can show that Mazda owners are more inclined to engine brake. That said, your experience could be beneficial to this thread!

I will take the mechanics word over the Physicist any day....sorry.....now had you said you were a mechanical engineer, that might be a different story, depending on your area of expertise.

Last edited:
I will take the mechanics word over the Physicist any day....sorry.....now had you said you were a mechanical engineer, that might be a different story, depending on your area of expertise.
And so you should! As far as any argument about car mechanics that is... I know nothing about that. But then again I would never argue with any mechanic about any mechanical detail.

Last edited:
Except that normal engine braking does not load the transmission excessively and it doesn't cause transmission failure. But using the brakes excessively does wear them out prematurely. The transmission does not CREATE the braking force, that is done by engine compression, the transmission merely transfers the force, which is what it's designed to do.

While I don't recommend downshifting at high rpm's every time you need to slow down briefly, engine braking should be used to maintain a steady speed down long inclines. You will save a lot of wear this way.

Exactly.

Since others have taken this thread far from where OP intended (referring to post #1), I will comment.

I agree completely with what MikeM has said above. Intelligent use of normal engine braking by a competent/skilled driver for increased control and less stress on the vehicle is one of the key reasons for Mazda's well-designed sport shift feature on the automatic.

Are pistons on rear calipers reset pushing straight in or do they screw back in like some Nissans with attached emergency brake linkage?

Are pistons on rear calipers reset pushing straight in or do they screw back in like some Nissans with attached emergency brake linkage?

They are screw in type with built in cable linkage
y7ejana4.jpg
and the type of tool needed to service it
azu8uqe8.jpg

Thanks!!! I am far from brake replacement time but this is good to know.

Me too, but I've already dissembled the brakes twice to paint the calipers with only 3,000 miles ;). When I get some time, I will do a write up on brake pad replacement.

Nice, I have a brake kit like that from my ex. VW. This way I can still use it with the present car too.

Brakes seized at 18k

Paper work says TSB 04-003/14, thats all Im getting from it.

The dealer was informed of the SB only after calling Mazda..they were stumped as to why this would happen at only 15k and asked me questions such as, "Do you drive with two feet?" "Do you use the parking brake often?".

On my way home my tire pressure indicator went off. When I got out to look at the tires I noticed smoke coming from the rear wheel. The brake was seized. Some rocking got the wheel to stop smoking and brought it directly to my dealership. Turns out my rear brakes were seized. My dealer garage were able to unseize them. I've been told that there is enough left on the pads that the vehicle is driveable. They will repair it under warranty but have to wait for the parts. The parts are on backorder from Mazda. I have read that this is common everywhere. Having the brakes seize like the did is a major safety concern in my opinion. I've also seen this from many people. I think Mazda should consider a recall and do something about this before there is a tragedy that can't be fixed.

Me too, but I've already dissembled the brakes twice to paint the calipers with only 3,000 miles ;). When I get some time, I will do a write up on brake pad replacement.

Is it as easy as it looks? I usually just replace rotors with pads since expense is usually not much more. My Nissan products have been so notorious for rotor replacements that I will likely just do the same for this vehicle when the time comes.

If you have some experience with brakes, then it should be as easy as it looks. I mean, there are no differences than any braking system I've worked on in the last 5 years. But, I see a trend with some people of some braking issues I can't explain, so like me, I'd pay close attention at every rotation. Of course, any ?s or issues don't hesitate to give me a shout [emoji3]

Back