Rear brakes gone at 15k..

Sunds like sticky calipers,,, maybe lube the slides?

I just read on another forum that if silicone grease is not used on the sliders it will cause the small rubber boot seals to swell (as petroleum based moly greases which are to be used on the clips and backs/ends of the pads only is NOT compatible with rubber) and will turn the pin-caliper into a piston-caliper arrangement, so when the calipers heat up the trapped air inside the boots will push on the pin and gently press one of the pads on to the rotor. Over time one of the pads will subsequently wear more than the other. Now this sounds exactly what may have happened to me as my front inner pads are worn WAY more than the outers (2mm vs 7mm). Could the guy at the Mazda dealer who serviced my brakes at 15,000 km be so stupid as to use moly based brake grease on my caliper sliders instead of silicone grease. I'm starting to think so.

Last edited:
You've got two threads going on this but yours is for front brakes. Rear brakes incorporate the hand brake so are effected by different things so I would keep the separate if I were you.

Right before I sold my CX-5 the drivers front inner pad seized and ground my rotor to hell and back, the same wheel also developed a corroded wheel bearing. I think the calipers used on the cx-5 are combination of cheap parts and bad design. If you plan of keeping your cx-5 long term stay off the salty roads and think about investing into some premium calipers...good luck

Normally I wouldn't even think of checking the brakes at such low miles, but with all these reports of low mileage failures is pretty sad.. Frick the last two vehicles (not Mazda) we owned both sold with 200,000 kms, and still had the original brakes.
MY CX5 now has 45,00kms (28k miles), and the brakes work and look fine, which is sort of what I expect. Last year I inspected the pins and they all had plenty of lube. I'd be disappointed with getting anything less than 100,000 kms out of a set

Last edited:
My rear pads are at 50% with only 21,000 miles. I've never had anything wear out this fast before. Will definitely be checking the caliper pins when I take off the winter wheels.

My rears pads were done at 30,000 miles. My front rotors were warped at 25,000. After 30 years of owing Nissans, Mazda brakes rotors and pads are garbage, in fact even brand new they are pretty thin. I am on my way to the dealer today for an oil change and having them put on my Michelin premier tires I bought at tire rack. I fully expect them to tell me at 52000 miles my breaks are shot again!

Normally I wouldn't even think of checking the brakes at such low miles, but with all these reports of low mileage failures is pretty sad.. Frick the last two vehicles we owned both sold with 200,000 kms, and still had the original brakes.
MY CX5 now has 45,00kms (28k miles), and the brakes work and look fine, which is sort of what I expect. Last year I inspected the pins and they all had plenty of lube. I'd be disappointed with getting anything less than 100,000 kms out of a set

Have 136,000 miles on my original 328 rears and fronts lasted 95,000 miles! Of course the factory pads are twice as thick than the skyactive weight saving ones on the CX5!

After being diagnosed by Mazda at 26,000 mi as needing new pads and rotors I finally found a knowledgeable "backyard" mechanic who replaced my pads and rotors for me 2 days ago. $458 all up compared to $1100 that the Mazda dealer wanted!!! He was astonished at the poor quality work that my Mazda dealership did in their recent service on my brakes. No lube on the upper clips, just the lower outer clips. No lube on the backs of the pads where they touch the pistons/calipers. No cleaning the rust and dirt off the clips. No filing of the rust off the calipers where the clips attach. No lubing inside the boots around the rear pistons (which screw in and out...to prevent tearing of the boots). No use of anti-seize where the rotor hat comes in contact with the wheel hub. These are just some the things I remember that he commented on and corrected. He really wondered what they did for the $115 that I was charged for the brake service. Now that my CX-5 is out of bumper-to-bumper warranty I definitely won't be going back to the dealer for regular service. What a let down. As was commented on in a post above, I'm now starting to also think that Mazda uses poor quality and thinner pads and maybe even lower quality calipers on new vehicles. Kind of reminds me of the crappy wearing Toyo tires I was glad to be rid of. (2thumbs)

Last edited:
Wanted to throw into a non-EPB brake thread....even if slightly resurrected. :) I noticed when putting my snows on a few weeks that the rear pads had probably half the meat of the fronts. Still useable and didn't exactly measure this time with the caliper but will be swapping the pads in the spring for safe measure. The fronts still have some time.

Back