Adding subwoofer to Bose system

Just to show you the route I went in my 1st gen, I ended up with a fiberglass enclosure in the jack compartment, Image Dynamics 8" subwoofer(ignore the MTX, didnt care for it and swapped it out quickly), and Kenwood 500rms amp. I'm running all this off of an Eonon D5151 instead of an LOC, but like you I carry crap for a 2 year old in my hatch and couldn't really give up any space.

MfyyP1K.jpg

BTW, you can embed the pics using the IMG tags instead of just posting the hyperlinks.

Last edited:
The LOC is always hooked up to the amp, not the speaker. A LOC takes high level speaker outputs (wires) and turns them into low level outputs (RCA connectors). They are only necessary when you can't get the low level outputs from the head unit as with our car. There are many amps/powered subs that have high level inputs but I've found the quality of those inputs is not so good. Also, some LOC's have trigger/remote turn-on capabilities and some do not. If your amp requires this wire, you need a LOC that supplies it. That was the case with my install.

It is semantics to say the LOC connects to the Amp output or the speakers. It is the same wire and signal. You both said the same thing.

Thank god for this thread. I just bought a 2014 mazda 3 hatch and have a 12 inch kicker with an amp and capacitor and we have no idea how to wire this thing into the bose system. Google didn't provide me with much information since this car is SO NEW and not many people have tapped into it this way since many are satisfied with the Bose bass. But I like my heavy bass as I'm an EDM junkie :p

Back