Ballistic battery in a daily driver

molex7

:
2012 mazda2 sport
I've read about quite a few people using ballistic batteries in their car to replace the quite heavy oem battery. My main question is how do they hold up for people who are daily driving with them, ever needed to charge/jump it? I'm very interested in getting rid of a big chunk of weight for autocross/fuel economy but I'm a bit nervous of relying on such a tiny battery.

My 2 is my daily driver - installed a 3.5 lb. Ballistic battery 1 1/2 years ago, never fails to start but is marginal below about 20 degrees. When the temp. is below about 15 or 20 degrees I have to crank, stop wait, crank again, sometimes for 5 or 6 cycles. Above those temps. it works flawlessly, I also have a 4 1/2 lb. Lithium in my Mazda 3 but that is a sunny day only car.

I recently picked up a deka agm knockoff for about $40 that I'm using in the miata. Its about 11 lbs and works great, they had an 8 lb version (less power though) that I may try when the battery in the 2 dies. Those ballistic ones are awesome, but pricey.

I have the 1.6 lbs. one. the first one lasted 2 years in Fla. Now will see how much it lasts in MN. probably will use a battery tender and go back to the oem for the winter.

Andres

You moved from miami to minnesota!? Don't you know it snows there (in fact, didn't it just snow there this SUMMER)?

1.6lb battery wtf. Where and what are these batteries made of. How much do they cost?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

My 2 is my daily driver - installed a 3.5 lb. Ballistic battery 1 1/2 years ago, never fails to start but is marginal below about 20 degrees. When the temp. is below about 15 or 20 degrees I have to crank, stop wait, crank again, sometimes for 5 or 6 cycles. Above those temps. it works flawlessly, I also have a 4 1/2 lb. Lithium in my Mazda 3 but that is a sunny day only car.
I'm not sure on the specifics of the ballistic batteries but I ran a shorai lithium battery in my motorcycle. It's suggested in colder temps to turn the key on for a few minutes prior to starting. Wakes the battery up and provides more CCAs. Counterintuitive to a traditional battery I know. Something to think about on yours, just turn the headlights or something on for a while before cranking

Back