2014 CX-5 (with Nav) to Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX aftermarket system

peteo

:
CX-5 2014
Im starting to look @ after market infotainment systems. Mainly because the GPS software in the mazda Nav system sucks, hate having to wait 3-5 mins for bluetooth audio to start working (Why can't you play music while you are downloading my phone book, and why are you downloading my phone book EVERY TIME I connect with bluetooth?! grrrr) , and it looks like Mazda is not going to support CarPlay (even if they do doubt the will upgrade old systems)
So Pioneer will be selling/upgrading aftermarket systems with CarPlay support. most of them are 7 inches but I don't believe those will fit into a CX-5, (looks like width needs to be 6.5 or under)
AVIC-5000NEX is 6.3 width and has support for backup cams.

I would like to install the system myself (though I have almost 0 experience doing this other than helping a friend install a radio in his Fiero in high school 30 years ago)

How hard is it to install an aftermarket system in a CX-5? There are allot of connections going on, back up cam, USB, Sirus/XM radio, mic, GPS antenna.
Will all of these work? and is there anything in the stock Nav system that I will be losing?

I would like to install the system myself (though I have almost 0 experience doing this other than helping a friend install a radio in his Fiero in high school 30 years ago)

I would leave this system installation to a professional.

Okay, a few things you need to know.

The radios that Pioneer are upgrading to CarPlay-capable are all double-din radios, i.e. all of the new NEX radios that have their existing AppRadio support. These will ALL fit into the CX-5.

Secondly, just my opinion but Pioneer's inbuilt navigation is not very good.

Finally, there are several posts already in the audio & electronics forum indicating what is lost when the factory radio is removed. In short, you lose the ability to make on-the-fly adjustments to locks/wipers/lighting (though previous settings will remain), and you will lose both the backup camera and armrest AUX/USB ports without some custom tinkering. See posts by forum user RedBaron for information there.

Installing aftermarket radios is relatively easy these days. The problem is that most of these products are short on instructions, you mostly are left to rely upon diagrams. However, if you are even the slightest DIYer, it should be doable. I recommend purchasing from Crutchfield as this also buys you unlimited installation technical support should you need assistance with wiring connections or anything else.

You can always try to do it yourself and, if you find you're in over your head, outsource it to a local professional. There's probably no shortage of them in the Boston area. Worst case is that BestBuy does a passable job.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back