Picked up 2013 GT Last Night - Brakes Shaking, Steering Wheel Vibration

jdub403

:
2013 CX-9 GT
So I picked up my brand new 2013 CX-9 GT last night and everything is great so far but noticed that when braking...even at speeds of 50-60km, the brakes were vibrating along with the steering wheel. Is this normal for a new car? I assume its the rotors but not sure. It only has 25KM on the odometer. Could it be rust on the rotors from sitting through a winter?

Sounds like the rotors need resurfacing. Usually the front ones.
I just had mine done for $200. Silky smooth afterwards.

My 2012 did exactly the same thing when brand new with 8 miles on it. Two things were the problem. The tires had flat spots from being parked in one spot for some time and the rotors were in need of 'cleaning'. They were not out of round but rather had uneven build up of pad material. I am still amazed that the latter could happen on a car with that little mileage but it happens. Frankly, I still find the brakes to be the weakest spot in this vehicle and I think they are grossly undersized. I should have been more attentive on the test drive as I think they could have been a deal breaker.

Also, I am very disappointed in the dealership for delivering the vehicle in the condition it was in. Anyone just taking the vehicle to the gas station to fill it should have noted the issue and had it taken care of before delivery. Also, given the number of reports of this issue I have seen here on the forum checking for build up on the rotors should be standard procedure for this vehicle pre-delivery.

I'm thinking its rust. I took a look last night and I can see rust on the rotors. Im going to demand new rotors. Resurfacing is going to shorten the life which isn't fair to me IMO considering its a new car. I booked a service for next week. I'll try driving a couple times this weekend to see if it improves but regardless I need to get it fixed up.

was wondering the same thing when i saw that. i took two rotors to o'reilly's and they turned them for $12 each.

i thought our '11 had "warped" rotors when we first test drove it (used) but it went away after driving it for a while. as for flat spots, we have 5 cars between the wife and i and we are always getting flat spots on the cars we don't drive as much.

kind of annoying but that is the reality of cars that sit for a week or more not moving.

Ceric

Did you pay 200 for the front brake job complete or just to re-surface the rotors?

Now that you guys mentioned it, I need to check my records.
It did sound ridiculous to re-surface the rotors for $200.

I dropped it off this morning and they "resurfaced" or machined it this morning. They said that the lifetime doesn't shorten by machining it anymore. I call BS but they say it was such a small layer. I'll go pick it up tonight and see how it is.

Back