Mirror Puddle Lights on a 2012 Mazda5

jetstreamblue

:
2012 Mazda5 GS
Here's another next to free mod (in terms of parts, definitely not in terms of time). I'm installing color matched turn signal housings for my mirrors, so decided to pull a four conductor wire through and wire up some puddle lights while I'm at it. $2 for two of these four LED modules off eBay. They're supposed to be IP65 waterproof so we'll see how they hold up. Anyway now that the wiring is done it's pretty trivial to change them if needed.
They're hooked up to the dome light and automatically go on and off when you lock/unlock and open/close the doors.

6ybaqa3u.jpg
upeqe4uj.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Nice

My Lexus CT has this, and they are very helpful.

Do you have a how to or pics on the doing the turn signal mod in the mirror on your 2012?

can you please post ebay link or item number?
i cant seem to find anything that would work well.

@90210 - Basically followed Vasy's video how-to on turn signal mod. If you get the replacement housing, it's really easy because the part with the turn signal is just held to the mirror with clips. I can't show pics yet because I'm still waiting for my parts to ship (4 weeks waiting to paint!!!). Just did all the pre-wiring in the meantime...
Here's the parts I got (but I cannot recommend this seller because they did not ship my parts in 4 weeks, I may in fact need to open a dispute with them): http://www.thespeedline.us/servlet/the-371/11-pls--Mazda5-LED-Signal/Detail

@Vasy - Here's the ones I got: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wholesale-DC-12V-4-LED-5050-SMD-Module-IP65-Waterproof-LED-Light-Cool-Warm-White-/230992419429?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item35c8389a65 I used a black marker to paint the sides black to blend in better.

Last edited:
very nice! i had gone w/ a single led in waterproof housing and drilled a hole in the mirror housing bottom. LEDs dont tend to dim well

Yeah, a single LED through a hole is cleaner. I was lazy, and found a ready-to-go solution for $2 so went for it.

It seems to be able to dim and fade in/fade out as the dome light does. Possibly this is because the dimming on this car is not done by lowering the voltage (which LED's don't take well), but rather by PWM on the ground side? I'm not sure. Anyway, we'll see if they hold up. At $2 a pop, I can afford to change them once in a while if needed.

Speaking of which, for those looking to do this mod, you do need to pull both the power line, and the door control line which is the ground from the dome light. The light is controlled on/off on the ground side, not the power side, so you can't just pull the power and ground it at the door.

Were you able to tap into the dome light wiring in the lower A-pillar or did you run wire all the way up to the dome light?

I'd like to add these puddle lights and lighting in the foot wells.

I ran it all the way to the dome light since I needed to run the turn signal wire across the car anyway so just ran a single multi conductor wire and tapped along the way. I'm sure you can tap from other spots as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Back