Mazda Mid-Ohio Track Day w/Autointerests Labor Day

Perro del Sol

:
2003 MSP, Spicy Orange, 2004 Mazda 6 Hatch, 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon
I have been talking with Jason in regards to the September 1, Labor day event. I proposed to him that they do a similar Hyperdrive NASA type of Intro to HPDE, which he was very receptive to and we're in the process of setting up the parameters of the on track and classroom instructions for this type of event.

Jason will be having a meeting with the guys from Smokey's on Thursday to iron out details about the event and I know from speaking with Peter of Smokey's they were impressed with the Mazda turnout @ the Dyno Day and the overall organization that we had. They are on board with sharing the event with some of our MOCO Partners, to help sponsor/promote the day!

I will be reaching out to a few of the professional drivers that I know to help coach, discuss, observe and give feedback throughout the day. At this this point, I do not know how many will be able to attend and we have to work on logistics, I'll have more details after I meet with the guys at Lime Rock.

I can tell you that the pricing will be comparable to NASA's Hyperdrive, but with more value, which equates to more track time! I'll provide a further update after Thursday's meeting. Hopefully we'll have a lot of our membership attending this event and getting some track time, I am sure that you'll have the a great time on track!

MOCO and our partners will be involved in thius event! We have confirmed that Tom Long and Andrew Carbonell will be at the event to provide coaching for all of the drivers! I will be reaching out to a few more drivers to see if they'll be interested in lending a hand. For those who are not intersted in running on track, there will be a car show held in the upper paddock. In addition, there will be family fun for the kids in the infield and we will be finishing up the details for these events in the upcoming events.

I would advise those Novices to sign up quickly for the Introduction to HPDE, $75 as there will be only 15 spots and once the event is finalized and promoted, those spots will fill quickly! As soon as I get further information, I will advise everyone.

I just looked at Autointerests website and didn't find a link for Introduction to HPDE part of the Labor Day event. I assume that it will be there once everything is finalized. Is there any way to pre-register? I did have a question though, as novice is a selection for the regular portion of the event, what is the benefit of the Introduction course over the Novice group for the regular part of the event? I'm pretty much a noob for road coarse driving, I have been on Road Atlanta but in a very controlled environment. Thanks.

It is going to be an "intro" to road course driving versus signing up as a beginner where you will drive the entire day long. The "intro" course will likely only have 1 session of around 20 minutes. It will also be much cheaper.

Marlon, to that point... I think it would be a good idea to do that intro course in the middle of the day so those drivers can ride along with the experience folks and get an idea of what is going on.

So I'd be willing to pay more for more track time, would there be any reason not do the full event at the novice level?

Thank you, WillD. I just didn't know if it was preferred to have everyone go through the Introduction course before moving on to a full event.

It is going to be an "intro" to road course driving versus signing up as a beginner where you will drive the entire day long. The "intro" course will likely only have 1 session of around 20 minutes. It will also be much cheaper.

Marlon, to that point... I think it would be a good idea to do that intro course in the middle of the day so those drivers can ride along with the experience folks and get an idea of what is going on.

I was actually thinking the same thing and I was going to discuss it with Tom and Andrew as well (Jason, too). I think they'll be getting two 20 minute sessions and also classroom time of 1-1.5 hours.

Thank you, WillD. I just didn't know if it was preferred to have everyone go through the Introduction course before moving on to a full event.

The Intro to HPDE is to give Novices a chance to see if this is something that they may have an interest in doing, basically a low cost option to learn. You are more than welcome to sign up for a "Full Novice" Day, no issues there at all.

I can't really tell by the website, does the Novice group for the full event involve classroom instruction, or is that only the Intro Group. The reason I'm asking is this will be the only opportunity to participate for me this year and I want to make sure I don't end up regretting not doing the full event if I decide to do the Introduction. I also don't want to be a complete jackass during the full event if I should have learned the ropes in the Intro.

Last edited:
ALL Novices will have Classroom sessions and download sessions after each run to discuss issues and to ask questions, etc.

Back