Check engine light Code P0300 and P0660

wmoesser

:
2003 silver MSP
Hey guys I know we chase a gremlin in our MSP from time to time. I need help catching mine. I have been having this issues for the last few weeks. First I got two codes that popped up. P0660 and P0300, I got a new VICS solenoid to fix the P0660 issue but I can't get rid of the P0300 issue.

As the car changes from cold engine to optimal operating temp I get a bad miss fire. Falls on it's face and after a few seconds it comes back to life and trips the code. If the car is warm it will not throw a P0300, seams to only do it after the car sits for a few hours and cools all the way down.

I have so far changed out the VICS solenoid, Seafoamed the car, cleaned out the EGR, checked the VTCS and VICS vac lines for leaks (no leaks), plugged the one side of the VTCS solenoid to see if it would do anything different. My plugs are a year old (copper), wires and coilds are two years old, O2 sensor is also 2 years old. I read the other day that the VTCS is activated at cold starts and when the O2 is up to temp the VTCS opens. That made me think of plugging up the VTCS to see what happens. When the car is off does the VTCS close or open? I ask because I'm not sure if when I plugged the VTCS solenoid it's in the open or closed position.

Any help would be awesome. I plan to replace the O2 sensor next. If that doesn't work I'll replace the coils and wires again. If that doesn't work I'll swap out the intake manifold and go to a 626 manifold.

Thank everyone!

VTCS is held open unless the actuator is engaging it. I would start with coils, wires and plugs before anything else.

Cool thanks. I was going to swap out the O2 sensor this weekend, but I'll do the coils first. Got them from autozone so I should be able to swap them at no cost because they are life time warranty. I'll let you know what happens.

VTCS is held open unless the actuator is engaging it. I would start with coils, wires and plugs before anything else.

Thanks Hornsfan10609. Swapped out the coils with an older set I had and it took care of the miss fire code. I guess our coils have a high/low voltage stage, and switching from low to high must have been what it was. Thanks again!

Back