Installing A Dash Cam

just to confirm, this is the one you bought right ?

Yes. Final receipt said:
1 x #I01USB - USB 5v Invisicords (mini/micro, for GPS/Dashcams) (I01USB) = $29.20
Fuse Option Add Fuse
Connector Type Micro (1/2 x 1/16)

Re: voltage, the final output is 5v, but I'm not sure if that little box in the cord steps it down from 12v or if it's 5v at the mirror.

I purchased the version with a fuse.

Pictures attached :)

This is a 2016.5.

Hello Katmar
Sorry to bother you again. The wire connection behind the rear view mirror. Is there any clips to pull it. I tried mine but not helping, just trying to be careful here and didn't want to break it.

Regards

Hello Katmar
Sorry to bother you again. The wire connection behind the rear view mirror. Is there any clips to pull it. I tried mine but not helping, just trying to be careful here and didn't want to break it.

If I remember correctly, I think there's a tab on the top of the plug that you need to press down as you grasp the wires and wiggle it out ;)

Not 100% sure though...

When arranging the cable,we should pay more attention to follow detail :
First, In the dash cam USB interface, you should reserve some length to buffer because the car have bumps on the road, if the cable pulled too tight, it will break down easily.
Second, a small transformer between the dash cam and the roof panel, which we can stick to with prepared double-sided glue to make the wiring more beautiful.
When installing dash cam, you are able to get perfect if you pay more attention to above mention.
I learned how to install a recorder through this tutorial:http://www.azdome.hk/news-detail-135.html

Garmin Dash Cam 45
2013 Mazda CX 5

I just purchased an Inviscord for my 2013 Mazda CX 5, however the power mirror connector is different from the posts here. On the 2013 the bottom row of the power mirror connector has a blue and red wire and on the top row I have a single black wire. The red/black wire connected to the Inviscord and my dash cam start the dash cam. However, I do get a warning that the cord will not charge the camera.

Another issue, this only works when the power mirror connector is NOT plugged into the mirror. When I plug it into the mirror, the dash cam will not start. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have the Garmin 55 with the invisicord setup in my 2017 CX5. It doesn't work very well as Garmin's power cords are proprietary and the invisicord will not keep up with the charging. Just wanted to let you know that you will encounter this once you have it connected correctly.

Thanks for that info. I received a reply from Inviscord that this has to do with Garmin using 18kohm power supply through the USB connector. How long ago did you get your Invisicord? I mistakenly ordered a mini USB instead of a micro and tried to address it with a mini/micro adaptor suggested by Invisicord which did not work. I'm going to return the cord for a switch to the correct USB. Also, does your Inviscord have an integrated fuse?

Here is what I found: My CX5 has three wires for the mirror (red, blue, black): Previously I had no power on blue, I think I had a bad connection and tried it again this morning.

Car Off (Mirror Cable Unplugged from Mirror)
red/black shows 0v
blue/black shows 11.9v

Car Accessory On (Mirror Cable Unplugged from Mirror)
red/black shows 0.3v
blue/black shows 11.9v

Car Accessory On (Mirror Cable Plugged into Mirror)
red/black shows 0.2v
blue/black shows 11.9v

Does my model year not have a 12v connection that turns off and on with the car?

Last edited:
I bought the invisicord a year ago next month, so I've been dealing with the camera just going dead on my commutes (45 min) each way from/to work. Sometimes I'll get the 45 minutes out of it depending on the starting charge, but most times I don't. I really need to look into getting a different setup and removing the invisicord but I already spent the money on it... You know how that goes. Also hoping Garmin will allow other power cables via a software update, but that's probably not going to happen. And yes, I bought the invisicord with the fuse.

As for you power supply issue, sorry I can't help there.

Quick update. Inviscord sent out a new cord with the micro usb, same issue, no charging. :( It seems this will only work for non-Garmin dash cams.

I got a question about the Parking Protection on the dashcam features.

I understand that it can also record when your car is parked. The one thing I dread is someone hitting my new cx-5 while parked and taking off.

Does the dashcam parking protection feature actually work?

If it records any movement while the car is parked, wont it almost always be recording and therefore overwriting your older surveillance constantly?

From what I have read, the cam uses the battery of the car. So if the ignition is turned off, I don't think power goes to the cam, hence no recording is done. I am yet to get a dash cam, but I am seriously searching for. I have been reading many cam reviews on this website, but can't pick one. Can I get a recommendation from a pro here?

Last edited:
From what I have read, the cam uses the battery of the car. So if the ignition is turned off, I don't think power goes to the cam, hence no recording is done. I am yet to get a dash cam, but I am seriously searching for. I have been reading many cam reviews on this website, but can't pick one. Can I get a recommendation from a pro here?

You can wire the cam to an "always-on" circuit to ensure that it's always getting power, and thus, always recording. In my CX-9, I have my dashcams wired to the homelink rear view mirror. I used the Invisicord. Some dashcams have a parking mode that keeps it in a low power "standby" state until it detects motion. Others use a different parking mode where the camera records a time lapse until the motion detector is triggered, then it switches to normal recording. This is done to minimize the space taken up by the recording on the micro SD card.

Personally, I've been using the Viofo A129 Duo set of dashcams. The package includes a front camera and a rear camera, with WiFi capability, 1080p recording, parking mode, motion detection, GPS, etc. Been using this setup for nearly 2 years now, and it works great.

Also a note on the "always recording, constantly overwriting".. yes this is an issue, but if you buy a dashcam that can handle a large capacity micro SD card, and use a large capacity micro SD card, it doesn't really matter. Mine is always on and recording in 1080p, but I'm using a 256gb microSD card, so it will record 3-4 days worth of footage before it starts overwriting the older footage (and this includes the additional video files from the rear cam). If I come back to my car and see that it has been damaged, I can easily go through the footage.

Thanks K3vonn, but the Garmin dashcams use a proprietary charging cable and if the camera doesn't sense the Garmin charger, it fails to charge. It appears there are no third party chargers allowed for it. I believe it has something to do with an extra 'pin' somewhere in the plug.

Back