Installing A Dash Cam

I have just soldered the two wires from the dashcam, to the mirror's connector as well.

If you have a powered HomeLink mirror Invisicord is far easier & quicker to install than other options. I put one today on my Infiniti for it's webcam.

Easy to remove as well.
Thanks

We don't have homelink in NZ, but mine does have auto dimming etc. I opened the cover the other day (surprisingly easy) and checked I have power supply there. But invisicord were out of main components around new year, mine should be made and shipped shortly.

The question is, is it worth the risk of the camera being used against you, more than being used in your favor. If something happens, it could be used as evidence either way, ya know...

The question is, is it worth the risk of the camera being used against you, more than being used in your favor. If something happens, it could be used as evidence either way, ya know...
I am not a lawyer. I don't work for a lawyer or even associate with them. For anything beyond a GUESS, contact a lawyer.

My guess:

That's going to vary from region to region based on regional laws... and also vary on the type of case and the whims of a judge. For example, in some areas, the video from these cameras wouldn't be admissible as evidence trying to criminally prosecute someone, but might be usable in defense. The reason would be that the integrity of the video could be questioned. (In other words, someone could claim that the video was edited or tampered with.)

(Again, this is a GUESS from someone who isn't a lawyer.)

After using the long cig light cord forever I decided to use an Invisicord plugged into the mirror. Talk about easy.

Thanks DBLXX from this thread!

I bought this cord.

invisicord_5vusb.jpg

Did you purchase with or without the fuse? Thanks in advance!

I bought the micro one

Fit seems good. It plugged in without much effort but feels taut enough connectors are not gonna fall out.

Just to clarify, you plugged it directly into the same little hole that already has a wire coming out of it? Or did you plug into the empty space/directly above the wire?

Protege__Owner:

- purchased with fuse

- all connections are to connections with wires already coming out. I don't think the mirror connections are the same on all model years so you probably want to take a multimeter to it if you are unsure. Make sure you are utilizing the switched power connection as well unless you want your dashcam with power on at all times.

- I used a small piece of velcro and attached to the rear side of the mirror.

Protege__Owner:

- purchased with fuse

- all connections are to connections with wires already coming out. I don't think the mirror connections are the same on all model years so you probably want to take a multimeter to it if you are unsure. Make sure you are utilizing the switched power connection as well unless you want your dashcam with power on at all times.

- I used a small piece of velcro and attached to the rear side of the mirror.

@Kedis82ZE8, thanks for getting back to me. I have the 2016 CX-5 GT w/tech, so hopefully it's the same? I'm not really familiar with how to use the multi-meter... I've seen em before and there not expensive, just don't know how to properly use one.
Also, just to clarify, you just jam the little metal rod into the same small hole the wire is coming out of? No splicing or tapping into the wire necessary?

There is a another around here somewhere... it might have been for installing a radar detector...

IIRC... the '16s mirror used some different spots on connector and pictures were posted as well. I'll see if I can find later. I have to step out for a while.

Yep... no splicing or tapping...... connector is just held in firmly besides the existing wiring and makes connect with the metal part of terminal.

Hello All
Im planning to buy AUTO-VOX A118-C B40C Dashcam
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00UUQD9L6/

It doesnt have a battery, it has got a capacitor. If we plug this into the center console power outlet will it load the battery even after the ignition is switched off ? I tried connecting my phone to the power outlet using an adapter i observed that even after 30 minutes of switching off the car the phone is still getting charged. Whats the best way to connect the dashcam so that it gets switched off once we turn off the ignition ?

You should change your profile, to which year CX5 do you have. I matters in this case.
The earlier CX5s, have a front charging port, that switches off with the car and the one in the center arm rest, it doesn't.

Thank you for this thread!

Just installed a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) in my 2016.5 GT using an Invisicord. Super easy. Works great!

I bought the Micro (1/2 x 1/16) Connector version with a fuse.

The little box on the cable already has mounting tape on it - a thoughtful touch! Just peel off the backing and stick it to the back of the mirror.

Use a zip tie to secure the Invisicord to the mirror - just in case the Dash Cam falls off the window you don't want it yanking on the cord and probes.

Facing the wires going into the back of the plug, the ground was the middle black, switched power the right-most wire - I think it's blue with black striping.

Just installed a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) in my 2016.5 GT using an Invisicord. Super easy. Works great!

The little box on the cable already has mounting tape on it - a thoughtful touch! Just peel off the backing and stick it to the back of the mirror.

Use a zip tie to secure the Invisicord to the mirror - just in case the Dash Cam falls off the window you don't want it yanking on the cord and probes.

Facing the wires going into the back of the plug, the ground was the middle black, switched power the right-most wire - I think it's blue with black striping.

Hello
Can you kindly share few pics showing the wiring. Mine is connected to the always on Cigarette lighter port and its a pain to pull the cable every-time. Want to connect to a switched connection the same way you have done.

Regards

With or without a fuse?
I purchased the version with a fuse.

Hello
Can you kindly share few pics showing the wiring. Mine is connected to the always on Cigarette lighter port and its a pain to pull the cable every-time. Want to connect to a switched connection the same way you have done.

Pictures attached :)

This is a 2016.5.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a45.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a45.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • fullsizeoutput_a46.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_a46.jpeg
    630.4 KB · Views: 1,139
I purchased the version with a fuse.

Pictures attached :)

This is a 2016.5.

Thanks a lot Katmar. The power tapped from behind the Rearview mirror is 5V ?
From the pictures its look easy to connect to the Rearview rather than to the Fuse box Mine is a 2016 with Teck package.

Last edited:

just to confirm, this is the one you bought right ?

attachment.php

http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58

~ $24 + $4.95 fuse .....

attachment.php

Attachments

• invisicord.jpg
    invisicord.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,812
  • cord.jpg
    cord.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,785
Last edited: