Installing A Dash Cam

Nice! how did you secure the filter onto the camera?

also, which 12 adaptor did you do to power the cam?

Here's my mini 0801 mounted on my 2014 CX-5 Touring with Tech Package
The silver circular thing on the dashcam is a polarizing filter from eBay.
The sensor cover is a b**** to open and you will definitely break the tabs. Cost about $8-$9 to replace (I think, I forgot)
View attachment 207363
View attachment 207364
View attachment 207365

Nice! how did you secure the filter onto the camera?

also, which 12 adaptor did you do to power the cam?

This is the polarizing filter: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
It has a tiny metal circular part with tape on it that you put on the dashcam, then the filter it self has a couple magnets. Then you turn the ring to adjust the polarizing effect.

As for hard wiring, I did it the ghetto way. I had one of these already and spliced the wires into the back of the front 12v outlet.
Then just used the original plug the mini 0801 came with and plugged it in.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

This is the polarizing filter: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
It has a tiny metal circular part with tape on it that you put on the dashcam, then the filter it self has a couple magnets. Then you turn the ring to adjust the polarizing effect.

How much of a difference does the polarizing filter make? Was there an image issue you were having that this solved?

Thanks for your help...

How much of a difference does the polarizing filter make? Was there an image issue you were having that this solved?

Thanks for your help...

This is why: polar.jpg

Hi folks,

Recently purchased the Mini 0803 dash cam from Amazon for about $120. I'm currently sourcing the necessary materials to do the hardwire install.

Just wanted to know what size fuse people were using in their hardwire setups. I have an old 2amp fuse that I used for my Valentine 1 setup but wondering since this is a micro usb setup do I need to use a higher capacity (i.e. 5amp fuse)?

Feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks

I've never used one of these before but wife bought me one of these KDLinks X1.

I will probably hardwire at some point. At least easy to tuck wiring away in headliner trim. Included Mac/PC map app ties into Google Maps as well.

2.png

1_2_12.jpg

3_2_15.jpg

4_2_15.jpg

5_2_13.jpg

8_1_8.jpg

Last edited:
BlackVue 1080p Dual-Lens Wifi Dashcam - DR650GW-2CH

I have been interested in the BlackVue 1080p Dual-Lens Wifi Dashcam - DR650GW-2CH. There are two cameras, one for the front windshield and the rear. It is very discrete (no video screen) and you can access the videos from your phone via the Wi-Fi setting.

You can also purchase the BlackVue Power Magic PRO Battery Discharge Prevention Module which allows for the DashCam to run while the power of the vehicle is turned off (parking mode). "Power Magic Pro ties in to your vehicle's power supply, and contains adjustable electronics that will turn off your dashcam should your battery level drop below a certain threshold, thereby saving your car's battery from dying. Alternatively, Power Magic Pro can also be set to turn your dashcam off after a certain amount of time instead."

Seems very easy to set up, except, what size Fuse does the CX-5 use? (Mini, Low-profile Mini, Micro2, or ATO/ATC)

33w4cwo.jpg

xmjpz5.jpg

http://thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-1080p-dual-lens-wifi-dashcam-dr650gw-2ch/

CX_9and6: That looks like a great unit. One I have has parking mode as well. I have screen turn off after a couple minutes as well. I would go for a more hidden unit as well but I typically park in locations (garage at home) and video monitored space at work.

Kedis82ZE8, lucky for you that the places you park are monitored. Do you know what Fuse size the CX-5 uses?

The CX-5 uses low profile mini fuses. You can check the fusebox lid in the engine compartment. There are spare fuses in there.

I have installed a Mini 0805 and the wires, are soldered to the mirror's power wires. Just cleaned the insulation a bit and soldered to them.
There is, an even newer/better Mini unit now for sale, is the Mini 0806.
I have installed it, in front of the mirror, I can't see it at all(not even the wires) from the driver's or passenger's seat. If I need to adjust something on the LCD, I just flip up the mirror.
I believe those dual cam setups, don't use a 1080p camera for the rear, so the quality is so so.
I would rather install, a second camera in the hatch.

I got a question about the Parking Protection on the dashcam features.

I understand that it can also record when your car is parked. The one thing I dread is someone hitting my new cx-5 while parked and taking off.

Does the dashcam parking protection feature actually work?

If it records any movement while the car is parked, wont it almost always be recording and therefore overwriting your older surveillance constantly?

I bought the micro one

Fit seems good. It plugged in without much effort but feels taut enough connectors are not gonna fall out.

Last edited:
If you have a powered HomeLink mirror Invisicord is far easier & quicker to install than other options. I put one today on my Infiniti for it's webcam.

Easy to remove as well.

Latest posts

Back