Subwoofer placement idea

I did actually remove the plastic nut for more clearance behind the subwoofer.

The steel frame is fixed to the car chassis using the original bold of the spare tire. Then the top cover is pressed to the steel wheel by 4 bolts connecting the steel frame below. There are rubber foam sheets in between these components to seal the subwoofer.

I also have to add a wrench to remove the wheel as needed. Therefore, all of my bolt nuts are the same size for this reason.

y3mALnh5haNC-3VGMvntGpE9Mj08gZstlSNRMN250WBUcVZgTWuV7N-TRSSdkiGB2W8KVVHcbLcNbCr2wqwNYMULTyR0BvKUSjFhAMCSn9mn-TBG5GyT3pcXw-racu0lrDeeL4DmglO9dbFyK02FtahChLdgQaKgk1mUcNcGIyS1mY

Nice. You have a 6" rubber gasket, under that round steel plate right?
To remove the wheel, you will have to remove the speaker, to access the center mounting screw?
That is a 10" Pioneer shallow sub?
I went with, JL Audio's 10TW3-D4 sub. Found it new on CL, for $200 brand new from a reseller.
It's an excellent subwoofer. I'm powering it with an amplifier, that I have picked up broken from Ebay and repaired it myself($39 !!).
It is a, Polk Audio PA880.
Same goes for the Polk Audio PA660.4, $40 and repaired by me.
My next job will be, to upgrade my Infinity Primus components at front(they are actually very good speakers), with Focal PS 165FX components.
I have had them for almost a year, but I did not have time to install them yet.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0cPry1OuNpa/p_091PS165FX/Focal-Performance-PS-165FX.html

Last edited:
Nice. You have a 6" rubber gasket, under that round steel plate right?
Yes, I have.

To remove the wheel, you will have to remove the speaker, to access the center mounting screw?
Yes, I have to remove the 4 bolts for the cover, and another one for the wheel.

That is a 10" Pioneer shallow sub?
Yes, It is a TS-SW2502S4 powered by Pioneer GM-D8601 using its speaker level input.

I went with, JL Audio's 10TW3-D4 sub. Found it new on CL, for $200 brand new from a reseller.
It is in my wish list :)

It's an excellent subwoofer. I'm powering it with an amplifier, that I have picked up broken from Ebay and repaired it myself($39 !!).
It is a, Polk Audio PA880.
Same goes for the Polk Audio PA660.4, $40 and repaired by me.
My next job will be, to upgrade my Infinity Primus components at front(they are actually very good speakers), with Focal PS 165FX components.
I have had them for almost a year, but I did not have time to install them yet.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0cPry1OuNpa/p_091PS165FX/Focal-Performance-PS-165FX.html
Front speaker of CX-5 is mainly for subwoofer sound. Can we still install components at this position?

Thanks for sharing the information.

I have installed the tweeter, on that little plastic by the mirror, though the orientation is not right. It points toward the back. I also have the Polk in the dash.
I may change things up, when I will install the Focals.
I have never measured the total impedance, with the Polks together. In the front I have the Polks, but I don't have them in the back, so the impedance is most likely different from the front to rear.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Bridgehl4, do you happen to have more pics of your build? It would really help seeing what you did each step of the way.

I have installed the tweeter, on that little plastic by the mirror, though the orientation is not right. It points toward the back. I also have the Polk in the dash.
I may change things up, when I will install the Focals.
I have never measured the total impedance, with the Polks together. In the front I have the Polks, but I don't have them in the back, so the impedance is most likely different from the front to rear.

I have a question for you guys. Did you come across any other shallow subs that would fit in this type of setup? Trying to research what would fit but there are so many brands.

Thanks in advance.

I came up with another simpler idea which uses 3 pieces of HDF as shown in the pics below. Basically, it is the same as my previous one, but the steel frame is replaced by a round HDF.

According to my "study", this setup is ok for Pioneer TS-SW2502S4 and JL 10TW3. The total volume of the enclosure is about 17L (0.6 cu ft) which is perfectly suitable for the mentioned subs.

y3mNbEasbSHLWvIKw2mRTskErc_JGsDz7Ibw7cjtVM_h1dJgcD7QpRi9qGrJTxcZVNJfYfxBJpB6mb16Bp77US5r_9DG1qMlb82ZQeGUrywmYl3mPuzGj0Re1DTfmaB-2oLtu8NQ-2rM4ZkwMD0HaSlLfbklCotSdIVxCDXIOECdFo

y3mjx15GaCmUcRJASDPg1xQlmpvXR3siIfx9m9mqXKqZ-QV25rj1yJPjrrRt4oR51sy-uRAE1yVMqUzupt_43BYpJzTR452bek8V-dmYzQhr4VKCFD3s6B_-zY4QNUmw94bdyBy6Bw5U6jLDX-AdtWJiGXTTNcxTrRqdXXiyy0NoPI

Bridgehl4, do you happen to have more pics of your build? It would really help seeing what you did each step of the way.

I have a question for you guys. Did you come across any other shallow subs that would fit in this type of setup? Trying to research what would fit but there are so many brands.

Thanks in advance.

Initially, I was thinking to pick up three/four 1/4 threaded rods, drill and tap holes into the wheels.
Install the MDF with through holes and bolt it down, with these rods.
But I ended up, with straps.
Most shallow subs would fit, up to 10"
Make sure, that they don't require more than 0.6 cu/ft of sealed space.
Pioneer is a cheaper option and JL Audio is a more expensive option, right here you have two options.

I am wondering whether the sound quality between my current Pioneer TS-SW2502S4 and JL 10TW3 is different as night and day or not?

The JL is 4 times more expensive than the Pioneer. So I feel a little bit difficult to decide :).

I had the same question, before I was looking to upgrade my door speakers(second time, because I have replaced the factory ones, with an Infinity Primus component set-all four doors) with better speakers, but I couldn't get an answer.
I have purchased some (expensive) Focal speakers, but I haven't installed them yet, but I heard them, at a car stereo shop and they sounded amazingly clear.
I'm guessing that has to be a difference between cheaper and more expensive speakers. They use better materials, reproduce the sounds more precisely(closer to the actual sound). These more expensive materials, may last much longer, can take more beating.
I got lucky, finding my speaker on CL brand new, for $200. This way, it was a much easier decision for me.
I don't remember, but I may have purchased mine from the same guy:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/5872121214.html
Though I'm skeptical, about the warranty claim.

Good choice, you won't be disappointed.
This one you can hook up as a 4 Ohm, or 2 Ohm speaker. The Pioneer only has 4 Ohm, at least the one we talked earlier. Basically you have two options, which is always better, than being stuck with one.

I would probably place it on the wheel's lip, to gain more room.
Mine, is on the tire itself.

I do not want to raise the trunk floor, therefore, I have to put the speaker inside of the wheel. I did check the remaining volume, it is still bigger than the minimum requirement of the sub. Hopefully, it will be ok. :)

I would probably place it on the wheel's lip, to gain more room.
Mine, is on the tire itself.

Loaded CX-5 sport edition with following:

Front door speaker
d299d911a5345e3843d100ceb200832a.jpg

Rear door speaker
817ec72c7d43a6caf86c356b980622c2.jpg

Pos/Neg Knukonceptz battery terminal (uncut battery terminal)
f6157c5eefc079ce5f94a118a6a39130.jpg

Pair of Front 82-7501 metra speaker adapter
06c867beb04ff08a3082b7aed75f7c25.jpg

4 Speaker harness connector adapter metra 72-6502
9f332668150bab6444a8e4ae819fb151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I replaced all but the front door Bose speakers with Hertz Diecis. Three sets of DCX 87.3s- three to run across the front and two on the rear pillars (one left over). Replaced the back door speakers with a pair of DCX 130.3s. Added a Hertz Energy EBX F20.5 in the spare tire compartment to supplement the front door Bose "bass" speakers. Added an Audison Prima AP5.9 bit processor/amplifier to run everything. LOVE the results. Mids are more defined and the highs absolutely shine. The previously muddy, flat bass is now present in spades. No boom, just glorious low end.

view

view

I picked up a couple of spare driver's side compartments and intend to improve the cutout for the Audison remote.

May eventually upgrade to Hertz Energys all-around, but I will enjoy the current setup for a couple of years!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8izzVX3ziUVM0ZKakg1RDd0WHc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8izzVX3ziUVZ1E2Ri16RDViTWc/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Back