Mazda 6 Front Brake Caliper Upgrade

north42g

:
Mazda Protege5
OK so I am ready to go on the Brake upgrade. I'm doing the fronts first, naturally. Only it seems that there are two different part numbers available for the calipers...
Centric Brakes Caliper, Front Left: 24038-07159422 is for 07 Mazda 6, sub model: i & s
Centric Brakes Caliper, Front Left: 24038-05159505 is for 07 Mazda 6, sub model: MazdaSpeed

I can't really tell what the differences are, but I assume that because there are different part numbers, that they are different. So the question I obviously have is...which one is the correct fit for my 2002 Mazda Protege5?
has anyone run into this before?

I believe the i and s models are a 12" rotor and the mazdaspeed is even larger. both fit the protege however the speed brakes require the use of a 17" rim minimum. not positive but i think thats what ive read. also some places advertise parts for a spped and they are incorrect or on backorder. hopefully someone can confirm or correct me

It says it right in the first post

Part#1 mazda 6 I and s

Part#2 mazda speed

Speed brakes are larger and are pointless on a protege unless you track it and use slicks. Stock brakes have no problem locking up sticky tires at all speed 6 is overkill on any street driven car

Also, you'll have a much easier time finding replacement rotors/pads for the normal 6 brakes, since they're far more common.

The ones for the I/s work fine and will fit the factory 16" rims, I just did this about a month ago.

The ones for the I/s work fine and will fit the factory 16" rims, I just did this about a month ago.
OK! NICE! That's what I'm looking for..a little confirmation from experience. Thank You. So both fit. Since I'm back to running on a 16 inch rim, their is only one choice.
I found Calipers w/ Brackets in a number of places; Amazon, Ebay, Local Parts stores, Internet wholesalers....
Where did you end up getting yours?

I did mine in September and got my calipers from a local junkyard. For $25 apiece, you can't go wrong. Just try and make sure there's a warranty with them if you go that route. If you haven't already, check RockAuto.com. Their stuff is super cheap (my rotors and pads cost less than $200).

I went with new (refurbished) from advance. I bought used for the rears (626) off of ebay, that was a mistake. I will problaby suck it up and do same for the rears and get new ones soon.

is this upgrade a direct bolt on? no modification required? just get caliper, pads and rotors from a Mazda6 and bolt them on? anything need to be removes? such as the dust shield...?

And to those that have done it. do you feel that it was worth it? did you have actually have shorter stopping distance?

Last edited:
I can't confirm for the rears, but for the fronts you don't need to remove the dust shields. I'm still running the stock ones. I can also confirm there is a big difference in stopping power, it's a great upgrade. Here's mine:

yvaOOAul.jpg

Some of these websites(eBay, amazon, etc..) are a PITA , they only want to sell caliper. Then you have to order Caliper Bracket separately. Then some say , semi-loaded or fully loaded...some have pads...some have this some have that,....others have nothing!....
OK and does it matter what engine size I order caliper for? Is it a different part for a 07 Mazda 6i 2.3 or a 07 Mazda 6i 3.0?
Rock-Auto has choices for a diesel engine...they must be selling options for vehicles produced for other countries?!

Last edited:
I can't confirm for the rears, but for the fronts you don't need to remove the dust shields. I'm still running the stock ones. I can also confirm there is a big difference in stopping power, it's a great upgrade. Here's mine:

yvaOOAul.jpg

very nice !!!

so to confirm for everyone.

the parts needed for this mod is: rotors, caliper, pads, and caliper brackets. am i missing anything? and what years range from mazda6 should one look for?

I ordered everything for a 2007 Mazda 6, V6 model. From my understanding, 2006 to 2009 are all the same brakes, except for the mazdaspeed model.

I have done the rears. The issue still remains to be a good parking brake solution. I have no parking brake on my car.

If you have the knowledge, converting the rear to a Hydraulic ebrake is a possibility. Otherwise you just need to find a longer cable with the same ends on it.

Back