Wrapped my console top panel with CF vinyl

Ward83

:
2003 Protege5
My center console top panel was starting to show its age, with plenty of scratches in it. I thought about painting it, but decided to try vinyl wrapping it first. This is my first attempt at wrapping anything with vinyl, it turned out fairly well. There are a few tiny air bubbles that don't show in the picture, I'm going to try and lance them with a push pin tomorrow after it has sat in the sun and is more pliable. If that doesn't work, I'll peel it off, and try spraying the part with soapy water first, and using a squeegee like when doing window tint.

The vinyl I used is made by Pilot, I picked it up at my local Autozone. I couldn't find 3M Di-noc locally, and I was too impatient to order some. I was actually surprised at how glossy this stuff is. It's not quite as glossy as real CF, but it's definitely got some shine to it. The downside is that it doesn't seem to be breathable like Di-noc is. I was super careful to avoid air bubbles, and I still wound up with some. A hair dryer worked very well to stretch it around curves and corners, I would say a heat gun would be overkill even. I used a credit card and a flat head screwdriver to work it into the corners on the backside. I plan on doing the gauge cluster surround and radio bezel to match next, but I haven't yet decided if I will stick with this vinyl, or order some 3M stuff.

I'll get a picture of it installed tomorrow in the daylight, but here is the finished product:

Last edited:
Here's how it looks installed. I didn't have a chance to try and lance the bubbles yet, but hopefully I will tomorrow:

Where'd you get that stuff? It looks pretty good, though I'm not the hugest fan of carbon fiber. My console plastic is also looking a little beat up, and i've been wondering what to cover it in, aside from just spray painting it.

I picked it up from Autozone, it's made by Pilot. It's in the section with all of the tacky stick-on crap. I'm not a huge fan of the carbon fiber look either, but in the right car I think it looks good. The nice thing about the vinyl is that it's easily removable, so if I decide I don't like it later on, I can always peel it off and paint the piece.

Last edited:
Back