Replace CX-9 Bose amp / retain OEM head unit - who has done it?

ohiobrits

:
Mazda CX 9 GT Bose/Nav/RSES
Just got a 2014 CX-9 GT with Tech Package, sunroof (no RSES). This is our second CX-9, traded in our old 2008 to get it. Great SUV, as folks on this forum will know.

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the sound system this time round, it is pretty bad overall with very poor soundstage, muddy bass as others have commented.

I was fitting a tow bar and wiring last week so took the opportunity to pull out the 3rd row seat and right rear panel (as you do) and take a look at the Bose amp below the window in the third row. Took some photos and recorded wire colors, pin out details for all the connectors on the amp but can't find any details on this or other forums of amp change projects.

I want to keep the head units in place to retain the functionality, even if it is not the best. Overall plan will be to add a DSP (create flat, unequalized signal, set phase, time alignment etc) and an amplifier(s) plus speakers.

I want to make harnesses to plug into the factory wiring at the Bose amp disconnects so I can revert back to the Bose amp when I sell later. I can then take the wires i need from the factory set-up and then do my own thing.

So there must be someone out there that has done this.....?

I can share photos and sketches of Bose amp connectors and other details of the install for those that are interested if/when the project progresses but I need to get some help to get started. Seems like the CX-9 system does not get much love other than some head unit changes.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back