Was changing the valve cover gasket... sheared off bolt head in the head.

Inside

Anyone with a similar situation?

hos6j7h.jpg

This is on the upper left side (when looking from the front). I don't see any leaking and I've driven maybe 30 miles already. My only concern is that I might be leaking into the timing belt cover and that it's nigh impossible to notice if I'm losing oil there.

As you know, if there is an oil leak on to the timing belt, the repair will become pretty expensive. I'd try to fix that ASAP.

yeah u want to address it. if nothing else, silicone the gasket between the 2 remaining bolts (after cleaning it all up).

Welp, I ****** up with using an ez-out type drill... Thought I was drilling in the center, but the bit wandered a bit too much to the edge so now it's pretty much tangent with the edge of bolt :(

Looks like I gotta find a mechanic tomorrow. Yay me :/

Also, how much oil is there between the E and the F on the dipstick? Dropped a good 1/4-1/3rd of the way.. On the bright side it looks like it is leaking out onto the engine block... (hand)(hand)

Stopped by a few places, got quotes $100~160 (basically the cost of a valve gasket repair), then went to the dealership to order some bolts. Got home and despondently poked at the remains of the bolt with a pick through the cover... managed to make it rotate a whole turn just by twisting it.

Looks like when I get the cover off again I should just able to stick some vice grips on the end and rotate it out and save myself
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif
MwQx0jH.gif

Would y'all recommend putting a new gasket on? It's only about $34. I guess I can buy one and keep it on hand in case it turns out the one I just put in got squashed somehow.

I would replace the gasket while you have it apart. It would suck to put it all back together and then have an oil leak, and have to take it right back apart.

You are going to have to drill out the broken bolt, then cut new threads. (drill & Tap) If you use a cheapo tap & Die set you'll be sorry. if you don't have the cash to invest in Snap-On type (or equal quality) Tools better find someone that has one to borrow. If I were you I would practice on my own car either...unless you've done it before....Good Luck.
OOps sorry didn't see that you got it moving! good job.
You should use your judgment on gasket replacing. if its old an worn out, definitely replace gasket...otherwise re-install. the correct way to do it is to replace it though, then re-torque bolts to proper spec, in proper order, etc..

Last edited:
Back