2014 Mazda 6 Manual Tranmission Issues

Oblithian

[Text Error]
:
Canada
:
14 Mazda6 GX MT
I bought my 2014 Mazda 6 GX MT with a 2.5L gasoline engine, in December 2013. I have been having an array of strange issues with my transmission and I want to see if anyone else has had problems, please list any problems or solutions bellow.

First problem I had with my transmission was that it would take a great deal of force to move the shifter into gear. I assumed this was just because it was new and needed to be worn in. This problem has largely subsided.

Second and perhaps the most worrisome, is that occasionally when shifting gears the gears would grind and usually fail to mesh (in the way you would expect if the clutch was still engaged). Moreover, this would occur despite the clutch being fully disengaged (pressed down). I only recall this occurring in gears R-3rd. Based on recording the problem it seems to only happen at temperatures near or bellow zero Celsius.

Third, the transmission seems to have extremely sluggish synchronizers. When shifting up or down I find myself needing to re-engage the clutch brutally slowly and rev match to get anything resembling a smooth shift.

Fourth, occasionally the clutch will re-engage a moment after I slowly released the clutch pedal. This one makes me think the clutch is electronic and does whatever the hell it feels like.

Fifth, at temperatures near or bellow -25 degrees Celsius the clutch pedal will often get stuck fully depressed, and only slowly return at it's own dismally slow pace (which seems more than a tad dangerous).

I had initially thought all of these problems were in my imagination, my ineptitude, or just due to the car being new. However, I really don't remember the car I test drove behaving like mine (problems 1-4). Moreover, as time progressed I started tracking the problems and am now certain of their existence. So I need to know if anyone else has experienced these or similar issues, or if my car was damaged before I bought it (which would not be surprising as the dealership had tried to sell me a damaged car immediately before this one).

I can't remember where I read it but another member had similar issues and after multiple trips to the dealer they finally figured out that a special additive was missing in the fluid that once added fixed the issue. It was a guy with a CX5 sport manual.

Thank you very much I will look into it when I go to get the fuel recall dealt with.

So I spoke with a fellow at the service desk (who also told me they couldn't fix the recall since they don't have the part) and he said there was no additive (In my experience it doesn't necessarily mean he knows if there is). However, he also suggested that it was not a transmission problem but likely there is too much humidity in the clutch fluid. This diagnosis makes sense to me and would explain a number of the issues. So I am going to have them look into it when I go back in for the recall.

I find this humorous, because when I first brought it to another Mazda dealership 4 months ago, the technician immediately dismissed my proposal of there being something wrong with the clutch, and instead looked at the transmission and shift linkages. (They also never called me back, and made no notes on my visit).

I will post an update when I hear back, but until then please continue to post suggestions or diagnoses.

No news unfortunately, I was told the technicians didn't look at it because they didn't notice anything when going for a drive. However, I am supposed to bring it back when it starts doing it again... which is going to be several months as most of the problems occur when it is cold. Even still the infrequency of it would mean even if I got it in on the same day they'd probably give me the same line.

So please if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

(As an aside: when I picked up my car I noticed the car was having problem #1 again when shifting into first gear from a stop. Could be coincidence, or maybe it didn't like how one of the techs was driving it)

Update: I don't know if this is related but the clutch used to engage further down in the pedal swing, and now it only engages in the top end (maybe it's just worn in now?).

Hi, is there any adjustment on the clutch? I sometimes have problems selecting 2nd gear when moving from 1st. I think it is starting to come into the other gears. Any information out there would be great as dealer cannot experience the problem. But when I got a mechanic to drive the car and asked him did he notice any problems he said 2nd gear seem to hard to select.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alanstrutt, I also have that problem although not to as large an extent and I am unaware of any easy adjustments. I heard that it was because the shifter cable is snagging slightly (on mine anyway) when moving from first to second.

Does anyone who is a mechanic have any thoughts as to what it might be, or what I should check (or have them check, if in fact they are even checking anything)?

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read it but another member had similar issues and after multiple trips to the dealer they finally figured out that a special additive was missing in the fluid that once added fixed the issue. It was a guy with a CX5 sport manual.

So a year later after many visits and talking to both AMVIC, and CAMVAP I eventually got Mazda to try fixing my car. They asked a few questions and went for a test drive. The result was a decision to change transmission fluid to a synthetic (one of the first suggestions made: above). In addition, Mazda changed the clutch fluid (again suggested months ago but never actually tried). Unfortunately, on my way home after picking up the car I encountered the strange lurching problem, and the grinding a couple of days later.

So I was browsing online, it sounds like some of these problems could either be related to the upper clutch switch, or the dual mass flywheel. Thoughts?

*Also, there was apparently a tsb put out sometime in August 2014 for the shifter not going into gear. However, they never Informed me of it, or performed it. (I found out from a 3rd party mechanic)

Last edited:
The Mazda just bought back my car, so hopefully they will pull it apart and find the problems so anyone with similar issues will be able to get them fixed.
If you need help the Mazda 6 Club forum also has information. Otherwise, feel free to send me a message.

I'm facing the same problem with Mazda 6 2016 2.0L and it just completed 1.500 Km then I found this problem in automatic transmission, when I shifting from R to D or from N to D there is delay in response.
I drop the car to the dealer and they will update me in coming couple of days.

I had a notchy shifting issue, especially when cold out. I changed the trans fluid to Redline and it got better, but still there. Next I went with a weighted shift knob that is also not as tall, so it more of a short shift now, and the problem is all but eliminated. I now have 8500 miles, which helps. Some say it doesn't really break in until 10,000 miles. I pretty much hated the car until these mods. The dealership service dept. was completely worthless. The trans was low on fluid from the factory. They never even bothered to check it.

I used a bearing as a spacer because of the brushed finish on it and a stainless washer over the boot. Finally I used black silicone to keep it all in place and it looks great. It's a whole new car now.

Last edited:
I'm facing the same problem with Mazda 6 2016 2.0L and it just completed 1.500 Km then I found this problem in automatic transmission, when I shifting from R to D or from N to D there is delay in response.
I drop the car to the dealer and they will update me in coming couple of days.

Hmmm, I know older automatics have that problem, but I wouldn't have thought a new one would pause then clump into gear.

Last edited:
Back