Interested in a used mazda 5

danielsan720

:
mazda 5
I was wondering if i could get some long term owner input on the reliablity of the 5. i currently own a modified 6 and am looking to do a 1 for 1 trade for a 5, as i now have a family. i've had zero issues with the 6 besides a couple tranny problems to do with my mods. i already know most of the positives of owning the 5. so i would like to know about any reliability issues when she starts getting into the high mileage (150KM) range in the 05-08 models. i've heard they blow through tires, and some power steering issues. how do they handle in the ice and snow (from canada)? recommendations on what to look for in a used 5? thanks

Skip 2006 models entirely. Best to start at 2008.

I've resolved most of my issues, but not every 1st time owner of an 06 will have done that, so don't risk inheriting someone else's neglected problem.
When I 1st joined, Canadians were praising the 5s handling with (mandatory) snow tires.

I bought my 2009 in December. I thought the performance on snow was worse than on my old Pontiac Montana. But the 5 is more fun to drive and I consistently get 25MPG, which is better than the 18 I was getting

Since maintenance history is unknown, the bigger concern is age or model year. These cars aren’t made with the best parts and can deteriorate if not driven which “typically” equates to care. On a used car, mileage = good. At 150KM, do expect some upkeep but nothing that will break the bank and folks here can prob give some direction.

’08 is the minimum year to start but ’09 is the BEST model year IMO for the first gen. Start at ’10 if you want traction control since ice/snow is a concern. This is not the best car in snow but can be mitigated with proper tires if you can live with the upfront cost AND storage penalties.

Remember that in Canada, snow tires are mandatory between dates decided by the province. Its a shame that many of our Canadian friends have moved on in the last 5 years. Maybe over the last few years, they decided to move on to AWD vehicles as they became more mainstream, or to bigger cars like minivans and SUVs.
Any input from the Frozen North?

Back