Rain Sensing Wipers

Debbadoo12

:
2014 Mazda3s GT Hatch, 1999 Miata 10th Anniv Ed
Just wondering for those of you with the rain sensing wipers, do you feel they work well? Can you override if you don't like their selected speed and choose your own intermittent speed?

I love them. I've had them on my last several cars. You cannot choose a set intermittent speed, but you can adjust the sensitivity, and you can always flip the lever manually if you feel it needs to be cleaned.

Actually you CAN set it to intermittent mode, but it requires going through the infotainment UI and disabling the rain sensing portion. Not really something you can do on-the-fly so to speak. But it can be done.

I feel as if my rain sensing wipers do not work. It's been raining here the last few days, and whenever it's set to auto...I modify the sensitivity to the absolutely lowest one but the wipers don't work. What gives?

I feel as if my rain sensing wipers do not work. It's been raining here the last few days, and whenever it's set to auto...I modify the sensitivity to the absolutely lowest one but the wipers don't work. What gives?
Works great for me. I hate to ask, but do you have the selector at the automatic position?

Actually you CAN set it to intermittent mode, but it requires going through the infotainment UI and disabling the rain sensing portion. Not really something you can do on-the-fly so to speak. But it can be done.

I was trying to disable mine but couldn't do it while car was moving, had to do it at a red light lol This is the first car I've had with auto wipers so I don't know if it's normal or not but even with just a tiny sprinkle on the windshield it'll wipe a few times, kinda annoying so I disabled it and used the old fashion intermittent mode haha

The one's on our '08 don't work all that great IMO, so I'm hoping for better when we get the '14. The best ones were on my '04 BMW 325, which were also speed-sensitive and did things like slow them way down when stopped at a light.

I am very happy with the rain sensing wipers. I leave the setting alone and they start up just when I begin to think the windshield is getting covered with drops.

Where do you adjust the sensitivity of the auto-rain sensing wipers before they kick in? Is it the dial on the same stick that the wiper speed controller is on?

Thought so, thanks! I would've checked the manual, but I left that at my parent's house :p

I love this feature and works well. I kinda thought it was a gimmick when I read about it but got to see it in action on test drive. It is something I had never really thought about having on a car and would look for it in the future.

I should be able to see more of it in action tomorrow when we will get some more rain & showers.

My wipers tend to sweep once, every couple of days and for no apparent reason. It typically doesn't rain, here from April to November, so I may as well turn them off for now.

My wipers tend to sweep once, every couple of days and for no apparent reason. It typically doesn't rain, here from April to November, so I may as well turn them off for now.

Saw this in owners manual:

"If the auto-wiper lever is left in the position, the wipers could operate automatically from the effect of strong light sources, electromagnetic waves, or infrared light because the rain sensor uses an optical sensor. It is recommended that the auto-wiper lever be switched to the
position other than when driving the vehicle under rainy conditions."

Back