hub bearings

CodyScott

:
mazda proteg5
When I am stopping in my car I hear a noise that sounds like it's coming from the passenger side wheel it only happens when I'm braking tie rods were replaced is it possible the bearings need to be replaced? If so do they have to be pressed in?

Jack your car up, Spin the suspected wheel with your hand, listen carefully for and unusual sound, also with your hands on 12 & 6pm rock back n forth for any lateral movement

Dumb question, but are your front brakes in good shape? If so, I'd guess that it's the wheel bearing. Our wheel bearings commonly wear out. My front left one was shot when I got my car, but it made noise all the time. They are pressed in, and a pain in the ass to replace. I actually bought a 12 ton press to do mine, and it still took me all day. If I have to do it again, I'll either have a shop do it, or buy the whole hub assembly.

Here is a how-to that shows the process:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...aring-Service-LOTS-OF-PICS&highlight=bearings

i am having a similar issue and knew what to do, jacked the car up and confirmed wheel bearing was bad, i have a question i need answered my cv axle is stuck in the hub will a shop with a press be able to save my cv axle and hub or will one the other or both be destroyed in the process?

we did and nothing would get it, would a shop have the tools to pop it? i really need to save the cv axle if at all possible because a new (good one, not cheapo) is too much for me to buy

we did and nothing would get it, would a shop have the tools to pop it? i really need to save the cv axle if at all possible because a new (good one, not cheapo) is too much for me to buy

Try letting it soak for a while with penetrating oil, then give it a couple good blows with a sledge hammer.

I put the axle nut back on to protect the threads a bit, and gave it a couple of good wacks with a sledge hammer. Both sides out without much fuss.

i am having a similar issue and knew what to do, jacked the car up and confirmed wheel bearing was bad, i have a question i need answered my cv axle is stuck in the hub will a shop with a press be able to save my cv axle and hub or will one the other or both be destroyed in the process?

clarksonhammer29234419.jpg

but for real

I put the axle nut back on to protect the threads a bit, and gave it a couple of good wacks with a sledge hammer. Both sides out without much fuss.

do it this way ^^^

i am letting a shop do it, i let them know it was stuck when i went to do the clutch a few months back they said no problem they can get it, i did let it soak in pb blaster over night so that should help them some. so $160 later ill have it fixed. but better to pay a shop that amount then take it apart myself have to buy a new cv axle and still pay a shop to press in my bearing. ends up saving me $130ish over buying a new cv axle from mazda, as aftermarkets tend to not work right long. i work at autozone and we get several returns on even the new duralast gold (made by a1 cardone) cv axles as they use a different joint style then oe and it tends to fail quicker.

i am letting a shop do it, i let them know it was stuck when i went to do the clutch a few months back they said no problem they can get it, i did let it soak in pb blaster over night so that should help them some. so $160 later ill have it fixed. but better to pay a shop that amount then take it apart myself have to buy a new cv axle and still pay a shop to press in my bearing. ends up saving me $130ish over buying a new cv axle from mazda, as aftermarkets tend to not work right long. i work at autozone and we get several returns on even the new duralast gold (made by a1 cardone) cv axles as they use a different joint style then oe and it tends to fail quicker.

Hi guys, CARDONE here. We saw this post pop up and thought we'd chime in.
We currently DO NOT provide Autozone with their NEW CV Axles.
Also, for future reference all Cardone reman products are considered: A1 CARDONE. Our brand new products are labeled as: CARDONE Select

Thanks!

Also, for future reference all Cardone reman products are considered: A1 CARDONE. Our brand new products are labeled as: CARDONE Select

Thanks!

ok i was misinformed

If it's only when braking (not when turning), check the *brakes*. Wheel bearings will more than likely make some grinding noise when going either in a straight line or turning, not just when braking. It could be something as little as a dust shield being bent when they put the tie rods in. It could maybe be some bad brakes too, like a pad being really worn down.

Assuming this is actually a rep from Cardone, how did Cardone realize it was mentioned in a thread on mazdas247 and suddenly show up? Strange.

Thanks!

i am letting a shop do it, i let them know it was stuck when i went to do the clutch a few months back they said no problem they can get it,,...

I remember a thread where a guy took his P5 in for a bearing job and the quote included the price of a new axle,... because they don't even bother trying to remove the axle from the hub. They just cut it and take the whole knuckle in to the machine shop. (read the bearing thread,... one guy almost blowed up his 12 ton press)

With a new, cheap reman axle costing less than $50 it is well worth it if you just wanna get the job done.

Assuming this is actually a rep from Cardone, how did Cardone realize it was mentioned in a thread on mazdas247 and suddenly show up? Strange.
i was wondering the same thing, they caught that way too quick

i dont use cheap parts i use quality parts. you spend more doing it the first time and dont have to do it again or cheap out save some on the intial job but then in 6 months your doing it again then that wastes time and my time is valuable

i dont use cheap parts i use quality parts.

^^What he said...
At least use a quality bearing and install it properly (pushing on the correct races during installation).

I learned the hard way that a "lifetime" warranty doesn't mean squat when when it comes to a wheel bearing. The warranty covers the bearing not the labour to remove it, the shipping to return it, or the time waiting to re-install your fully warranted piece of crap.

My premium bearing has no "seal" just a "dust cap",... there is almost no protection from dust or water contamination.

PS,... replacing an axle is quick and easy if you had previously Anti-siezed the hell out of everything when you last did it.

Back